The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Ordered a pound of pork loin from whole foods and was going to smoke it real quick, but after unpacking it noticed they sent two ~0.5 lb chunks. Smoked them anyway. Took about an hour to get them to 160 when I took them off. They looked really good but turned out pretty dry which was unfortunate.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
August 25 20, 9:19 am
Ordered a pound of pork loin from whole foods and was going to smoke it real quick, but after unpacking it noticed they sent two ~0.5 lb chunks. Smoked them anyway. Took about an hour to get them to 160 when I took them off. They looked really good but turned out pretty dry which was unfortunate.

You probably want to pull them closer to 145-150 for such a lean cut. Trichinosis can't survive past 137 degrees, so it should be prefectly safe, and carryover will bring the temp up from whatever you pull it at anyway.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

That's a good point. Seems like a lot of the restaurants that buy local are serving pork chops, or at least recommending, at 145 instead of 165. It definitely would have been less dry.

Alas, Mrs. AW is not a fan of it at that temp so I took it all the way up.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
August 25 20, 10:27 am
Alas, Mrs. AW is not a fan of it at that temp so I took it all the way up.
That's a rather crucial consideration.

In that case, I'd probably try to compensate for the dryness with some kind of sauce or gravy. Maybe something simple like reducing some apple cider along with garlic and mustard, and stirring in any juices released while you're resting the chops after cooking.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Inject it. It won't be dry.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Today was perfect out. I did pork steaks on the grill, my wife made her potato, onion, pepper concoction that we wrap in foil and grill, and we did some assorted veggies as well. It was a great dinner. Hope some of you all got to enjoy the day BBQing as well.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I smoked a 13 lb brisket Saturday night / Sunday.

Here's my method and I do it Texas style. It always turns out moist and awesome this way.

1. Inject with phosphates and beef broth
2. Rub with a traditional bbq rub
3. Add another layer of rub of Montreal or Steak Seasoning
4. Smoke at 225 until the brisket reaches an internal temp of 160 (use hickory/oak/cherry mix) - usually 8 to 10 hours
5. Wrap brisket in foil with beef broth until it reaches an internal temp of around 180, increase smoker heat to 250 - 275 depending on wind and weather - usually 2 hours
6. Take brisket out of wrap and place back on smoker at 250 (apply more rub and steak seasoning and let bark setup)
7. Pull brisket at an internal temp of 205
8. Let it rest for 1 hour
9. Slice against the grain

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

It was perfect out. We did ribs yesterday which were good. Let's see if we can get these pics to work....
[SHOW]
Saturday we did Birria (sp?) tacos which are more along the lines of what I would consider traditional tacos.

The recipe called to boil short ribs and chuck roast with some veggies and spices in order to more or less make a broth. Of course, this can be improved by smoking the same things first then boiling them. So I rubbed the meats with some more mexican themed seasonings, then smoked them, then after they got nice color and the ribs started peeling back stuck them in the pot to make the broth. After a couple hours of simmering, chopped up the meat and seared it in a hot cast iron skilled, seared some corn tortillas in the cast iron skilled, added white onion/cilantro/lime juice/queso and wala something resembling something edible. Lot of work, which I enjoyed, and in the end it was pretty good. Needed more seasoning and could have done that when searing the meat at the end. Other than that, these were really good. And messy.
[SHOW]

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Those look incredible.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Sear the tortillas in the fat you skim from the broth next time. It’s a game changer.