Serial Podcast

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Re: Serial Podcast

Post by Numbers »

I finally finished and am of two minds. On the one hand it was highly "entertaining" for lack of a better word. It kept me thinking even when I wasn't currently listening. However, I couldn't help but feel it was very crass in the end. This isn't fiction for our entertainment but a real story affecting real people. This woman flipped all of these people's lives upside down without finding any real answers. Then, the season is over just like that. So tune in next season when we do this to someone else....and, I probably will.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

go birds wrote:Didn't listen to the podcast but saw this come across my fb newsfeed so some of yall might be interested in it.......spoilers maybe???

EXCLUSIVE: JAY, KEY WITNESS FROM ‘SERIAL’ TELLS HIS STORY FOR FIRST TIME, PART 1
I had formed some opinions by the end of the show but once I read this interview (all three parts) I had a big change of heart about Adnon and about how Serial was produced.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:I'm four episodes in. What's clear to me at this point:
-Either Jay or Adnan is a sociopath.
Not sure if you got to this point in the podcast yet. But one of Jay's friends says "Jay told me he was going to stab me, because I'd never been stabbed before and he thought I need to know what that feels like." Normal, non-violent people don't say things like that.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

I didn't listen to this podcast, but here's the prosecutor.

http://www.avclub.com/article/now-prose ... ing-213551

There's something a little troubling, I think, in some journalist doing a broadcast where she says "I don't think this guy did it. I think this other guy did it." I agree with the post at the top of this page.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

There are some shortcomings, and I've expressed doubt's about the purposefulness of the story, but feel it's a little unfair to say Koenig was setting out to feed on liberal sensibilities. And she certainly wasn't operating on the premise or belief that he was innocent.

There was always a glaring lack of sympathy/empathy for the victim and her family, that both Jay and the prosecutor manage to express straightaway.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

As a fan of the show, and I am one, if a conflicted one, I feel like two things have come up in these interviews so far that both should have and seemingly easily could have been found and reported by SK. The youth leader guy who plead the fifth as revealed by Jay. And the abandoned alibi from the defense as revealed by the prosecutor.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Almost done, half of the last episode to go and I don't feel like finishing it.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I plowed thru it in process of painting a bunch of [expletive] in our house. Kind of a let down. In some ways it reminded me of Pat Tillman's Mom - in her relentless obsession with getting to the truth - in other ways it reminded me of Groundhogs Day.

I had the Adnon was guilty vibe most the way thru - but then was wondering if it was some ingrained anti-Muslim sentiment I had (a topic explored in one episode). Ultimately I kept the vibe-guilty, but don't think it's beyond reasonable doubt to convict. Good grief, Adnon's attorney, sure she may have been sick, was atrocious - her voice was grating and found myself tuning her out within seconds.

Koenig - I admire her work here, but I started to become a skeptic of her and her methodology as series went on and on and on. At some point, she had to be able to conclude she was just spinning her wheels - could have wrapped this up much sooner instead of playing seven degrees of separation . So much focus on timeline when as best I can tell, hardcore specifics of timeline was tainted from prosecutorial or defense standpoint. Her chats with Adnon and the woman from the Innocence Project seemed too unprofessional for my liking

They were good at crafting episodes out of all this stuff, but we saw what she was doing behind the curtain too much.

Now I need to read the Jay interview.

BTW - if looking for a good podcast, recent episode of This American Life - Batman - was very good.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

So there are three possibilities?
Serial killer that Jay for some reason covered up for/was scared of and framed Adnan.
Jay.
Adnan with Jay's help.

Simplest explanation is that it was Adnan with Jay's help and Jay fudged on details like the location of the kill and the timeline because he was more actively involved that he says.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The frustrating thing to me about the show is that SK keeps intimating that Jay did it, or at least that Jay is a suspect, but she never attempted to provide a motive. She never talked about what relationship Jay and Hae had, if any. Did they know each other? How?

Jay knew things about the killing that nobody could know unless they were involved. Adnan seems extremely blithe about the whole thing, unable to provide much of any detail about the day as though it were totally uneventful (despite the fact that he was called by cops about her disappearance that very day, and seemed freaked out by it according to others who were there). I don't buy the whole "you don't remember details about mundane days of your life" premise that SK throws out in episode 1. Even if he's innocent, Adnan knew as of that evening that this was not a mundane day.

The really frustrating thing is that DNA evidence should've been tested from the get go. The murder happened in 1999, and by that point in time DNA testing was common. The victim was strangled. You have to think that there would be skin cells under her fingernails from scratching at or clutching the murderer. Also the fact that the bottles and rope found near her body weren't tested is kinda absurd. Adnan's lawyers have filed a motion to get DNA tests done, hopefully there's enough evidence left to find something out.