the lottery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27874
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: the lottery

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Myles wrote:Giving money away to be used on something you approve of is NOT wrong.
I could think of a few scenarios where that's not true.

User avatar
Molly
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4789
Joined: May 10 06, 9:57 am
Location: 6.6 miles from Busch III

Re: the lottery

Post by Molly »

Woman creates "Go Fund Me" page because she spent all her money on lottery tickets convinced she was going to win 1.5 billion. I believe the page has been taken down.
https://www.yahoo.com/music/powerball-r ... 04618.html

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12048
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: the lottery

Post by IMADreamer »

Molly wrote:Woman creates "Go Fund Me" page because she spent all her money on lottery tickets convinced she was going to win 1.5 billion. I believe the page has been taken down.
https://www.yahoo.com/music/powerball-r ... 04618.html

It's the American way. Do something stupid then profit from it.

User avatar
Myles
Everyday Player
Posts: 470
Joined: July 10 14, 1:41 pm

Re: the lottery

Post by Myles »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Myles wrote:Giving money away to be used on something you approve of is NOT wrong.
I could think of a few scenarios where that's not true.
Good point. :D

But assuming that I would be directing what the money goes to and it would not be illegal, those other thoughts can be left out.
Giving $50,000 to the Parks and Rec department and stating that it must be used on keeping the trails up. Nothing wrong with that.

User avatar
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8601
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: the lottery

Post by mikechamp »

Two takeaways from this article for me:

1. I didn't know Powerball was going international.

2. You've got to be really pro-gun to back out of a lottery game (that provides $14 million to your school system) that might provide anti-gun program funding in a foreign country.

Idaho ends Powerball participation because Australia might use some of the revenue for anti-gun measures

Idaho lawmakers fearing foreign participation in the Powerball lottery killed legislation on Wednesday that would have allowed the game with huge jackpots to continue in the state after a run of more than 30 years.

The move came after Idaho Lottery officials sought a change in state law because Powerball is expanding to include Australia in 2021 and Britain in 2022. But current Idaho law only allows lotteries in the state played by people in the U.S. and Canada.

Republican Rep. Heather Scott worried that when Australia joins Powerball, the country’s officials might use revenue generated for government coffers to back causes she opposes. Scott expressed concern that could happen “in Australia anti-gun causes, which they see as good and we see as not good.”

Democratic Rep. Chris Mathias said the Powerball in Idaho has been good for business and that the state took millions for public education, but had concerns that more countries might be added to the Powerball participation roster. “My concern is the delegation of authority, and essentially turning over our sovereignty to this Multi-State Lottery Association,” he said. “I think we should be concerned that they could be persuaded, they could be lobbied heavily by countries that we are not particularly friendly with.”

Idaho lottery officials have said the game generates about $28 million in sales annually in the state, with schools receiving about $14 million per year.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/idaho ... 1615576713

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 27866
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: the lottery

Post by Popeye_Card »

While I may not agree with their reason, I've come to the conclusion that we should be getting rid of lotteries. You are essentially just placing an extra tax on the predominantly poor people who play the lottery to help fund education while you line the pockets of the companies that run the lottery systems.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12048
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: the lottery

Post by IMADreamer »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 15 21, 7:49 am
While I may not agree with their reason, I've come to the conclusion that we should be getting rid of lotteries. You are essentially just placing an extra tax on the predominantly poor people who play the lottery to help fund education while you line the pockets of the companies that run the lottery systems.
It's the same thing with the video gaming here in Illinois. It's a tax on the poor. You can go to any gas station in town and see someone who is barely getting by pumping their last dollar into them.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 27866
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: the lottery

Post by Popeye_Card »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 15 21, 8:45 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
March 15 21, 7:49 am
While I may not agree with their reason, I've come to the conclusion that we should be getting rid of lotteries. You are essentially just placing an extra tax on the predominantly poor people who play the lottery to help fund education while you line the pockets of the companies that run the lottery systems.
It's the same thing with the video gaming here in Illinois. It's a tax on the poor. You can go to any gas station in town and see someone who is barely getting by pumping their last dollar into them.
I'm shocked at how big the video gaming thing has blown up in Illinois. My hometown has like 5 places now that have popped up over the last several years - one for every 1000 citizens. How are these good for anyone? I mean, other than the folks that own them.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12048
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: the lottery

Post by IMADreamer »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 15 21, 9:17 am
IMADreamer wrote:
March 15 21, 8:45 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
March 15 21, 7:49 am
While I may not agree with their reason, I've come to the conclusion that we should be getting rid of lotteries. You are essentially just placing an extra tax on the predominantly poor people who play the lottery to help fund education while you line the pockets of the companies that run the lottery systems.
It's the same thing with the video gaming here in Illinois. It's a tax on the poor. You can go to any gas station in town and see someone who is barely getting by pumping their last dollar into them.
I'm shocked at how big the video gaming thing has blown up in Illinois. My hometown has like 5 places now that have popped up over the last several years - one for every 1000 citizens. How are these good for anyone? I mean, other than the folks that own them.
It's insane how it's blown up. We have five dedicated "gaming rooms" here in town. Two laundry mats with games in them, then of course every gas station and bar has them as well. It really isn't good for anyone but the owners.

Post Reply