Best Burger

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Which Signature Chain Burger is the best?

Whopper/Double Whopper
13%
5 Guys double cheese
44%
In&Out Burger
9%
Rally Burger
3%
White Castle Mini Burger
No votes
Steak and Shake Steak Burger
13%
Wendy's Classic Single
9%
Red Robin custom burger
6%
JackNTheBox Grilled Sourdough Burger
No votes
Hardees Thick Burger
3%

Total votes: 32

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: Best Burger

Post by JL21 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I'm not saying I wouldn't eat that. And frankly, bleu cheese and sautéed mushrooms is a great burger topping. The lardons look damn good too.

But there needs to remain a place for a burger that is good beef, ground and cooked medium rare, with sautéed onions, salt, and sharp mustard. I think most people that don't like O'Connell's are looking for more stuff.
I can get behind that.

I'll admit, pretty much the only thing I look for in a burger in STL is the presence of the scoop o' cheese that you get at Blueberry Hill, used to be able to get at the Fatted Calf (pretty sure it shut down), used to be able to get at Dooley's (also shut down?), etc... The scoop o' cheese (or scoopeaux cheese, if you'd rather) is one of those dumb little nuances of STL cuisine that nobody ever talks about but seems pretty damn unique, and I loved it. Kind of like the St. Paul sandwich, except actually good.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

LOVED the Fatted Calf. R.I.P.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Tucker's does a good STL style spreadable cheddar with grilled onions burger and you can get it on their happy hour for like $5.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

The Fatted Calf had the worst service I ever experienced in St. Louis. They were annoyed that people were even there.

Second goes to Pastaria for terrible service, but that's for another thread.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I view restaurants like beer. Beer is good, food is good. Occasionally when someone offers you a popular one (Applebees / Bud Light), you'll probably turn it down unless it is free (and possibly even then). Otherwise, you know what you're getting when you order a Budweiser, Sam Adams, etc. or head to an Arby's, Five Guys, etc. It is probably going to be OK, and sometime you'll even want it. When you stray off the path, you may get something really good, or you may just get something that somebody put a lot of effort into but ends up sucking.

I'm a guy who likes to comfortably straddle both. I'm not going to thumb my nose at Chili's or a Yuengling. And I'll have a bit of nervousness when I order that chocolate habanero double imperial death stout or order anything with vegetables that I could not identify by sight in the produce aisle.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I won't quote to save space but I agree on Seamus McDaniels. I really do like that burger.

I'll give O'Connell's another shot here soon since it has been years but until then, if you want to fight me then let's go. I'm down!

Actually, what would happen is that I'd say I'm down to fight and then as soon as you threw the first punch, I'd be down. I'm not a tough guy at all.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Based on the poster (silly, I know) I wasn't interested in The Founder thinking it would be a puff piece. But it's a good movie, and entirely damning. Keaton was great. The audio of Kroc in the end credits is wild.

Here in Portland, at least, there is a nice little postscript for the movie happening. Putting some thought and care (rather than not a pitiful, margin-reducing shred) into your food goes a long way. When the best thing McDonalds can say about their burger is that it no longer contains pink slime, buying something out of a truck that someone actually crafted with some sort of pride (or at the very least, is a single degree of separation from that person) goes a long way. Drops in the ocean perhaps, but meaningful drops nonetheless.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

If that guy has more than 6 followers, America is broken.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Also, that monster burger at Hardees is a keto person's dream. Order it low-carb style and they lettuce-wrap it. I add tomato and pickles. It's awesome.