Best Burger

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Which Signature Chain Burger is the best?

Whopper/Double Whopper
13%
5 Guys double cheese
44%
In&Out Burger
9%
Rally Burger
3%
White Castle Mini Burger
No votes
Steak and Shake Steak Burger
13%
Wendy's Classic Single
9%
Red Robin custom burger
6%
JackNTheBox Grilled Sourdough Burger
No votes
Hardees Thick Burger
3%

Total votes: 32

go birds
-go birds

Re: Best Burger

Post by go birds »

Went with work people to chili's yesterday against my will and i ordered their lunch double burger.

look...i know i might get ripped for saying this...but the burger was pretty damn good.

good steak fries as well.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I don't really go to many chain places since I have so many good options closer but I don't get the constant bashing of chains that some people have. Sure you may not be getting gourmet food but you're also not paying those prices. They serve a purpose and generally do what they do well for a fair price. Sometimes you're nowhere near home, in a hurry and just need somewhere that you can stop where you know what you're getting and can be in and out.

The nearest chain place to me is two miles or more away (non-fast food) and that is an Applebee's. I haven't been there in a few years but at the same time I have The Grove, The Hill and Morganford all within a mile of my place so Applebee's is even less convenient.

And that reminds me. The last time I had a burger at O'Connell's it was garbage. Maybe I should try it again (I pass by there almost every day) but I was NOT a fan. I don't get the constant love I've heard over the years for that burger.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

tlombard wrote:I don't really go to many chain places since I have so many good options closer but I don't get the constant bashing of chains that some people have. Sure you may not be getting gourmet food but you're also not paying those prices. They serve a purpose and generally do what they do well for a fair price. Sometimes you're nowhere near home, in a hurry and just need somewhere that you can stop where you know what you're getting and can be in and out.

The nearest chain place to me is two miles or more away (non-fast food) and that is an Applebee's. I haven't been there in a few years but at the same time I have The Grove, The Hill and Morganford all within a mile of my place so Applebee's is even less convenient.

And that reminds me. The last time I had a burger at O'Connell's it was garbage. Maybe I should try it again (I pass by there almost every day) but I was NOT a fan. I don't get the constant love I've heard over the years for that burger.
If I'm near the O'Connells area and want a burger, for my money I'm going to Seamus McDaniel's.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

GeddyWrox wrote:
tlombard wrote:I don't really go to many chain places since I have so many good options closer but I don't get the constant bashing of chains that some people have. Sure you may not be getting gourmet food but you're also not paying those prices. They serve a purpose and generally do what they do well for a fair price. Sometimes you're nowhere near home, in a hurry and just need somewhere that you can stop where you know what you're getting and can be in and out.

If I'm near the O'Connells area and want a burger, for my money I'm going to Seamus McDaniel's.
Unless they've changed the burger I'll fight you both over this. O'Connell's is a burger for ppl who are wanting tasty beef not fancy toppings.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

lukethedrifter wrote: ppl who are wanting tasty beef not fancy toppings.
There's a burger joint here in DC that is 100% the latter, with wacky fancy toppings, but they do it really well. My favorite there, and my favorite in DC, and on the short list for my favorite burger ever, has blue cheese, mushrooms sautéed in worcestershire, and thick cubes of bacon (which seem like lardons to me but they call them bacon and they're [expletive] delicious). They also put something called "AP sauce" on it. It's just a generic blend of mayo, ketchup, and BBQ sauce and I usually get the burger without it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm not saying I wouldn't eat that. And frankly, bleu cheese and sautéed mushrooms is a great burger topping. The lardons look damn good too.

But there needs to remain a place for a burger that is good beef, ground and cooked medium rare, with sautéed onions, salt, and sharp mustard. I think most people that don't like O'Connell's are looking for more stuff.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Burger cooked medium rare kinda scares me. I like mine medium, and I've always thought I was on the less cooked end of the spectrum.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

not really bashing chain restaurants cause im not exactly some snobbish foodie, but if i have a choice between chain and non-chain, im going non-chain every single time.

reason being is because the experience is usually better. one thing i've noticed about chain restaurants is that everyone seemingly hates their job. i worked at a couple chain restaurants while in college so i understand why.

Also, alot of places have a "chain restaurant" taste--especially mexican restaurants. i don't really know how to describe it, but i feel like it's a thing. maybe its just psychological and im just imagining things.

i dunno, maybe since the nashville restaurant scene is exploding, the chain options are becoming more limited, so i just have access to more non-chain than chain. maybe i am low-key becoming a snob.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

go birds wrote:

not really bashing chain restaurants cause im not exactly some snobbish foodie, but if i have a choice between chain and non-chain, im going non-chain every single time.

reason being is because the experience is usually better. one thing i've noticed about chain restaurants is that everyone seemingly hates their job. i worked at a couple chain restaurants while in college so i understand why.

Also, alot of places have a "chain restaurant" taste--especially mexican restaurants. i don't really know how to describe it, but i feel like it's a thing. maybe its just psychological and im just imagining things.

i dunno, maybe since the nashville restaurant scene is exploding, the chain options are becoming more limited, so i just have access to more non-chain than chain. maybe i am low-key becoming a snob.
You are. Don't be ashamed.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

daaaaaaaaaarn