What are your 2017 goals?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: What are your 2017 goals?

Post by Radbird »

Stay alive
Stay married
Stay employed
Focus on health and fitness
Read at least one book a month (first up: Chernow's Hamilton bio)
Make STL baseball weekend trip, meet some more GRBers
Go see Yellowstone
Finally climb a damn 14er instead of just talking about it for another year
Learn to play a couple of songs on the guitar
Ban Leroy

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

haltz wrote:As for the weight loss, it sucks for a few days, but if you have a modicum of willpower you can get over that hump and then it honestly gets easy. Just don't deviate from whatever
plan or drink or partake in cheat meals etc. 10 lbs is just a month of your life. I'm at 175 lbs from 225 last June.
I'm curious what kind of structure a plan would have. Do you do something like "no drinking or late night snacks" or is it calories or what?

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I've got a couple big goals.

1. Drop 10 lbs.
2. Write a book/start a support group online.
3. Quite dipping. No idea how I ever got addicted to this stuff past the age of 30 years old, but for some reason I started putting a dip in every afternoon at work. Never do it anywhere but work, but goodness it is tough to not do it. I've gone weeks on vacation without it, didn't do it over the hollidays or even thought about it. But, the second I sit down in front of the computer, it's like...hey, throw one in. [expletive] stupid.
I quit 8 years ago and there are still things that I do that don't feel right without a dip in.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

IMADreamer wrote:
Diddy wrote:I don't know. I wish I knew. I can't make money in the current farm economy. So I've got a lot of decisions to make. I'd like to find some kind of side job that would allow me to continue farming but making money on the side. We have a five year goal of building a home on our farm, 2017 can go along way toward making that a reality.

I need to get back to enjoying life more. Hectic life's and financial problems have led to us quitting a lot of hobbies and activities that I enjoyed. I don't know how but life has to become more enjoyable.
Best of luck to you. I'm pretty worried about the farm economy right now. There doesn't seem to be an improvement in sight. A lot of the equipment dealers, and even fertilizer and seed dealers are laying off here. It's pretty scary. I'm afraid there is a big crash coming. Land prices just don't seem to be stopping here, some next to us just sold for 16k an acre. The landlords seem to keep wanting to jack up cash rent even though commodity prices are terrible and some of the custom farm work I do the owners are trying to get me to cut prices because they say they aren't making any money. I can definitely see a scenario where we are farming less ground in a year or two.
The BTO's in our area roll their combines over one year and their tractors the next. Dealers still have two years ago combined in the lot and aren't offering them anything in this years trades so they are keeping the combines. Tractors are still on the lot also so probably happen with them also. We lost some ground that we'd farmed 30 years because land prices are so high they couldn't pass up selling. Cash rent is crazy, I don't care how low your costs are I don't know how it cash flows. I really need some kind of constant side income to keep farming. I'm just not established enough to weather a long term slow down.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

haltz wrote:I'm at 175 lbs from 225 last June.
Congrats!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arthur Dent wrote:
haltz wrote:As for the weight loss, it sucks for a few days, but if you have a modicum of willpower you can get over that hump and then it honestly gets easy. Just don't deviate from whatever
plan or drink or partake in cheat meals etc. 10 lbs is just a month of your life. I'm at 175 lbs from 225 last June.
I'm curious what kind of structure a plan would have. Do you do something like "no drinking or late night snacks" or is it calories or what?
Not sure what kind of plan halts had. When I shed about 10 percent or so oofbody weight, it all kind of started with a week of minimal eating. In fact, one day I didn't eat anything and it was miserable.There's a post somewhere on GRB about how bad it was. But, after that first short period, it was like my stomach had shrunk. Didn't really lose much weight up front. Maybe a lb or two but normal fluctuation stuff.. But my appetite had decreased considerably.

We get Papa John's about twice a month so it's easy to use that as a measuring stick. Where 5 or 6 years ago I could easily put away 5 or 6 slices, that dropped down to 3 then 2. Drinking beer was once like drinking water. But then I'd start noticing a distinct full feeling after a couple. It reminded me of the old Bud light ads...Great taste. Less filling.

Anyway, this is becoming a long way of saying eat less and shrink the appetite. Really restricting food up front can help to curb cravings down the road.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Wasn't that miller lite?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I stand corrected.

Miller Lite

What was Bud Lights slogan then? Something like Never fills you up never lets you down or something?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Arthur Dent wrote:
I found a calculator online that estimated the number of calories I burned every day and made sure I was operating at a deficit, just treating it as a math problem. I'm 6'1", 33, male, and I work on my feet and it spit out a number right around 3,000.

I posted this at some point

- Less than 2,000 calories per day
- Go to bed hungry
- No processed flour, sugar, dairy, potatoes or red meat
- Zero liquid calories
- Cheat meals are for pussies

The one I broke the most was eating late at night. Sometimes that's all my schedule allowed and I work from ~3-10pm most days. I tried to at least eat there instead of when I got home immediately before bed.

I feel like you could lose weight eating oreos and drinking zero calorie energy drinks. Those rules worked for me and kept me away from calories, but I feel like the calories in and out is the non-negotiable part of weight loss and people find ways to circumvent that with various, let's say, theme diets.

I knew how many calories were in the 10 or so things that I ate and when I hit that number I was done for the day. A lot times I'd eat a protein bar in the morning before going to the gym or the batting cages, grab some sushi from Schnucks on my way into work and eat a couple of turkey sandwiches on low-cal wheat bread and some steamed broccoli. That's like 1500 calories so there's room for a little something else and it's not the end of the world once you get used to it - my experience with my stomach and appetite shrinking was pretty much the same as Beerstrike's.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I've realized a 2016 goal in early 2017. Latest test shows a 120 drop in total cholesterol from last year. Was at 312 ([expletive] high risk) now at 190 (pretty damn good).

Didn't do anything major. I had already started eating/exercising better a few years ago, but recently it's become more ingrained and part of who I am , as opposed to something I was doing. Very little fried food etc., salads instead of fries as a side, Nuts for snacks, no Little Debbies for breakfast etc, any kind of soda a rarity.

The difference maker is the statins. I mostly had hereditary high cholesterol. I'm on about the highest dosage and fortunately seem capable of handling that dose. There could be a drawback or two. Hope my liver isn't getting wrecked with all that I throw at it - processing this dose, stress at times, alcohol. Something to work on and learn about in 2017.