Investing for Retirement

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Investing for Retirement

Post by sighyoung »

vinsanity wrote:
June 2 22, 9:09 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
June 1 22, 2:52 pm
Make inflation work for you! The rate on federal I bonds has skyrocketed to 9.62%. The rate will be re-set in October, but it will still likely be fairly high. You can purchase up to $10k per year through TreasuryDirect.gov.

https://treasurydirect.gov/indiv/resear ... uy.htm#how
Wuuuuuuut that's insane. Are people that down on the US economy?
No--these are I Bonds, which the Treasury Department pegs to the inflation rate to protect against inflation, and provides a small amount of additional interest. The bonds pay so well because the inflation rate is so high right now--over 8%. The Treasury Department will reset the rate in November, and if inflation is lower, the bond interest rate will be lower.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

sighyoung wrote:
June 2 22, 11:45 am
vinsanity wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
Make inflation work for you! The rate on federal I bonds has skyrocketed to 9.62%. The rate will be re-set in October, but it will still likely be fairly high. You can purchase up to $10k per year through TreasuryDirect.gov.

No--these are I Bonds, which the Treasury Department pegs to the inflation rate to protect against inflation, and provides a small amount of additional interest. The bonds pay so well because the inflation rate is so high right now--over 8%. The Treasury Department will reset the rate in November, and if inflation is lower, the bond interest rate will be lower.
Are TIPS different than these? I can't find an answer in my surfing so far.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
June 2 22, 11:56 am
sighyoung wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

Are TIPS different than these? I can't find an answer in my surfing so far.
I believe with TIPS just the principle is indexed to inflation, not the interest rate.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote:

Definitely a good thing to be doing now. Nice tip kripto-Popeye

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

sighyoung wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

Well, right. But sorta? I thought that the inversion of rates on bonds in the past meant people were anticipating inflation and recession? So when longterm bonds have high rates, it's because of increased risk? Or am I an idiot and thinking about what I think are t-bonds? And I don't know what I-bonds are?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Good thing I'm not retiring this year. Bye bye investment account.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

heyzeus wrote:
June 13 22, 2:43 pm
Good thing I'm not retiring this year. Bye bye investment account.
It was worse 2.5 years ago! This too shall pass.

unless it doesn't of course...