mental illness/ suicide

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: mental illness/ suicide

Post by heyzeus »

This is good GRB.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Someone very dear to me tried to take their life yesterday. She is young, beautiful, has two little daughters. Her career was just starting to take off. She made a really stupid mistake and got fired. Distraught, she reached out to me. I could tell she was spiraling. As soon as I got a pic of her cut up legs, I called 911. While I was on the phone with 911 I got a pic of a full pill bottle and an empty pill bottle. Officers got to her in time and she's in the hospital now. Before she got fired, she seemed to have it all under control. I knew about her cutting in the past, but she seemed very happy and stable. But now looking back, I could see a few warning signs. Those signs were subtle, and most people would never progress to a suicide attempt so quickly despite also demonstrating some of these signs.

My afternoon was a 3 hour nightmare of not knowing if cops would find her in time, not knowing if her kids would ever hug their mom again. Not knowing if she would ever be able to resume her new career path. I haven't heard from her yet, and I might not. It's very complicated. She and her husband have a LOT to work through right now. I need to just let them heal. I'm devastated that she tried to take her life. I am and will forever be sooooo thankful that she reached out to me. I don't know if she really wanted to die or if this was an elaborate plea for help. But either way, I am so relieved that I know she is safe in the hospital right now. But I'm heartbroken that I shouldn't and won't be able to go see her. Even just to look her in the eyes one last time and have that quiet assurance that all will be well.

Mental illness is no joke y'all. Pay close attention to those that you care about. Watch for signs, consider their history. And don't hesitate to call for help if you think someone is in crisis. I almost lost this person yesterday. I would not have been able to bare the thought of her poor kids losing their mom. Now I'm going to go sob again.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Dang, that's a lot to digest. First, I'm glad you were able to get the lady help in time. Sounds like there is a lot to work on, but at least she'll have a chance to work on it. Second, wow, I can't imagine the stress/emotions you experienced/are experiencing; hope you're doing alright and can recognize the light you brought to a dark situation. She's lucky to have a friend like you. Third, great advice about paying attention to those you care about. It's impossible to know what's going on in other's heads and it's a tough world out there.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

It was a plea for help. She reached out to you because she knew you would act. Speaks volumes about your character, Geddy. And not surprising at all to your GRB family.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

We've only been friends for about a month. Friends isn't even the right word. We were not lovers, but we had an intimacy that lovers do. And, I just cannot overstate how incredibly beautiful and smart she is. And her kids are precocious little spitfires that just adore her. I am heartbroken that I probably won't ever get to see her or hug her or kiss her again. But if that is what it takes for her to find a healthy happy life with her husband and family then I will be content knowing that for one month, I shared in something wonderful and her kids still have their mom because of me.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Also, get counseling if you feel any sort of mental health issue brewing. I am restarting counseling this coming week after all this. Sometimes we can't "fix" things ourselves, and that's ok.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:
July 24 21, 7:48 am
Also, get counseling if you feel any sort of mental health issue brewing. I am restarting counseling this coming week after all this. Sometimes we can't "fix" things ourselves, and that's ok.
I hate to hear what you are going through and what your friend is going through. Glad to hear you are headed to counseling. I'm trying to get the courage up to go myself. I have almost all good days, but when I have one of the bad ones it's terrifying.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:
July 25 21, 9:15 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
July 24 21, 7:48 am
I hate to hear what you are going through and what your friend is going through. Glad to hear you are headed to counseling. I'm trying to get the courage up to go myself. I have almost all good days, but when I have one of the bad ones it's terrifying.
DO IT. It does not take "courage". It is NOT a bad thing. If you need a place to start, one of my dear friends runs a counseling practice. They are here in STL but could almost certainly do remote sessions. She is the one that is setting it up for me, as well.

Please don't hesitate.

https://www.diversifiedhwc.com/

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I still have not heard anything from her. No facebook posts, no posts to her discord channel. Nothing. This really sucks.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Finally got a text. She's home. She and her husband have a long road towards healing, like I thought. She and I won't be able to be nearly as close as we were but I'm OK with that. As long as she is here for her kids, that is all that matters.