mental illness/ suicide

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Re: mental illness/ suicide

Post by Diddy »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:I'm so sorry for all that have gone through this type of thing.

This is a good thread to have.

Just talking to someone and sharing can be very therapeutic.
I think it's good to have and felt like it was a good time to start it. It might be easier to chat with someone on here then a real life friend. Not that many of us haven't been together on the internet going back to the cards talk days and I'd consider friends also just some annominity makes it easier at times. I do think that mental illness is losing some of its stigma. It's far from understood though.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

So my GD insurance company moved my anti-depressant up to the highest cost tier. It was already the generic. [expletive] bastards. I am going to have to switch to a similar med so that I'm not paying something ridiculous like $3 a pill.

A long time ago, I was on Lexapro. It worked OK, but I always felt like I was in a fog, and it had certain side effects that only a sexually active male would notice and/or care about (if you catch my drift). So I switched to Pristiq (generic). It was much, much better. Much less of that foggy feeling, and fewer instances of naughty-time side effects. I've been on it for 3 or 4 years now.

If we can't get my insurance to reconsider, I'll be switching to Effexor. From what I was reading, it is *almost* the same thing. Effexor basically breaks down into Pristiq + "some other stuff". I am not looking forward to the transition let down, and fear that the side effects will be worse. UGH.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I hope this works out for you, GeddyWrox, and do wish you and others on the board the best.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

That sucks GW. Health insurance sucks.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:
October 15 20, 4:53 pm
So my GD insurance company moved my anti-depressant up to the highest cost tier. It was already the generic. [expletive] bastards. I am going to have to switch to a similar med so that I'm not paying something ridiculous like $3 a pill.

A long time ago, I was on Lexapro. It worked OK, but I always felt like I was in a fog, and it had certain side effects that only a sexually active male would notice and/or care about (if you catch my drift). So I switched to Pristiq (generic). It was much, much better. Much less of that foggy feeling, and fewer instances of naughty-time side effects. I've been on it for 3 or 4 years now.

If we can't get my insurance to reconsider, I'll be switching to Effexor. From what I was reading, it is *almost* the same thing. Effexor basically breaks down into Pristiq + "some other stuff". I am not looking forward to the transition let down, and fear that the side effects will be worse. UGH.
Good luck Ged, absolute travesty that this is something people have to worry about in this country.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

GeddyWrox wrote:
October 15 20, 4:53 pm

Before you switch meds, consider trying goodrx. It's wildly popular in the mental health community among people who have no/poor insurance. In many cases, it can be cheaper than insurance using their coupons. Here's a link to Pristiq. It's very affordable at Costco (just over $20) and you do not have to be a member to take advantage of their pharmacy.

https://www.goodrx.com/pristiq

Effexor is generally a well-liked drug that treats most well. Of note, it's known for wicked withdrawal side effects. Don't miss doses of your anti-depressant, but it really applies to Effexor. It has a reputation for being a real [expletive] to come off.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Thank you! I'll look into it!

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Tambourine Man, this tip was a life saver. I am at costco getting set up now. Thanks sooooo much!!!

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

GeddyWrox wrote:
October 17 20, 9:58 am
Tambourine Man, this tip was a life saver. I am at costco getting set up now. Thanks sooooo much!!!
Woot, woot! Glad to help!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Tambourine Man wrote:
October 17 20, 4:25 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
October 17 20, 9:58 am
Woot, woot! Glad to help!
This is terrific.