Wristwatches

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Wristwatches

Post by Famous Mortimer »

cardinalkarp wrote:
But, my favourite is Vacheron American 1921. Wife bought it for my birthday...only wear it for special occasions.
:shock:
I was thinking the same thing. Just a humblebrag that his wife can afford to drop five figures on a watch that he only wears on special occasions.

I saw a little gem on shopgoodwill.com today, that'll need a bit of cleaning and hopefully not too much restoring, but could be lovely (I'm not saying what it is until I've won it).

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

If you guys haven’t figured out that Indu is stinking rich by now then you’re not paying attention.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

lukethedrifter wrote:If you guys haven’t figured out that Indu is stinking rich by now then you’re not paying attention.
Oh no, that's obvious.....but even stinking rich people don't drop that kinda $$$ on watches.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

lukethedrifter wrote:If you guys haven’t figured out that Indu is stinking rich by now then you’re not paying attention.
As that's the first post of theirs that I remember seeing, I'm clearly not paying attention.

On another forum I go on, people were talking about their favourite watches from movies or TV. Do you have one? Anything you saw in a movie then bought for yourself?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

"Authentic-looking"

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Famous Mortimer wrote:"Authentic-looking"
Connoisseurs know the three categories of replica watches. First comes the authentic-looking replica, then the authentic replica, and finally the inauthentic-looking replica, to be followed by the authentic item itself.

Based on the Antique Road Show evaluation above, this is a highly desirable authentic-looking replica, which is more valuable than either an authentic watch or inauthentic replica.

In curatorial lingo, this remarkable specimen doubles down on replicating: it is an exponential replica, a replica to the second power, or replica squared. It is impossible to replicate any more than this watch is replicating without one watch actually sleeping with another watch--or, in the parlance, 'nitty gritty replicating.'

Additionally, note that this is not what experts would term 'play replication' but an adult replication. Note the wording on the top of the packaging: "Not recommended for children under 4," which is the factory's seal that this is a verified replica for adult collectors, but also that government censors inspected this watch for appropriate levels of replication and possible obscenity.

Next, notice the French wording for adult replication: "Ne convient pas aux enfants de moins de 4 ans," which is both the traditional mark of the skilled cardboard tradesmen from ancient medieval guilds who fashioned the package and lettering, and indicates that the package makers not only apprenticed for years before being allowed to package authentic replicas, but spent years of additional study at the Sorbonne, likely writing theses on existentialism.

The names "Dick" and "Tracy" add further value to this remarkable item: Richard, after all, is French, entering the English language following the Norman conquest of England at the Battle of Hastings in 1066, while "Tracy" also comes from the "de Tracy" family--also from the Norman aristocrats who conquered and ruled England for approximately two centuries.

So, altogether, we have a French authentic replica in its original package of a watch that, second only to the Bayeux Tapestry, signifies the profound international influence of Norman culture and the French language on the history of the world.

Estimated value: $0.57

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

So, I decided to try something different on my the watchgang website. I cancelled my monthly membership, but they have a deal called the wheel. You pick 8 watches - on wheel number 1 - the cost is $50 to spin, you pick 3 1st tier watches - retail ranges from $100 to $300, 2 of the 2 tier - ranging from $200 to $400, 1 3rd tier ranging from $300 to $800 - 1 4th Tier, ranging from $500 up to $900 and then chose between a random Rolex, Tag Heuer or an Omega. You pay your $50 and then spin the wheel - the watch it lands on is the watch you get.

I spun and won the 3rd tier watch:

I got it yesterday:

I am in love with this Automatic watch...

I got a $575 original retail watch for $50 plus shipping - It came out to $53.15 with Tax...

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Very interesting approach. It reminds me of video game loot boxes. Do they post the odds on their website?

The watch has a nice look! It reminds me of a Panerai.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Michael wrote:
July 30 20, 11:01 am
Very interesting approach. It reminds me of video game loot boxes. Do they post the odds on their website?

The watch has a nice look! It reminds me of a Panerai.
I don't know about the odds, most likely they do - there are 4 wheels so you can pay more and have better watches on the wheel.

I really love this watch - best one I have gotten so far.