The OFFICIAL cooking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: The OFFICIAL cooking thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardinalkarp wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:My mom got me a mandoline slicer for Christmas and I've only used it for one thing: slicing brussel sprouts for ceaser salads. Everyone hates brussell sprouts, i get it, but they make a great base for a salad. And, they make you fart non stop and I find it hilarious.
Brussell spouts are only bad if you boil them. If you slice them in 1/2 and sauté them a bit in some olive oil then pop em' in the oven and once their done mix them w/ a bit of balsamic vinegar they're delicious.
Agreed. I've become a big fan.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Here's the brussel sprout, onion, ham, egg, tomato sandwich that's the best sandwich in the world.

Last edited by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 on February 17 20, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

andymoor wrote:
February 13 20, 9:43 am
This is my fav recipe Sweet potato starch noodles stir fried with vegetables, I've made it at least three times within a year.

Here is video

Plus I found info on bestsinkdisposal about disposals for food waste and ordered one on Amazon. Now I can cook even more and often try new recipes.
Gonna have to try this. Looks pretty good.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I enjoy the Minimalist Baker, because she tries to keep her recipes below ten ingredients, and use as few tools as possible.

https://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potat ... ddha-bowl/

I've made it a few times, and it's fantastic. My new job has left me coming home later, though, so I don't cook as much as I ought to.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Anybody have any advice on demi glace sauces? Tried to make one last night with beef stock, onion, butter, celery, carrot, flour, and cheap wine. Had some thyme, pepper, parsley, bay leaf in the cheese cloth submerged throughout cooking. It turned out...okay but not the best. Took like 2 hours and a lot of work.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

This guy stole my sandwich (and forgot the brussel sprouts)

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Dunno if anyone watches Sam the Cooking Guys channel on youtube (posted above) but I really like how he encourages everyone to cook and do, well, just whatever the [expletive] they want. I got into smoking/grilling well before I got into kitchen cooking. But, his channel has a lot of really good ideas (eg, compound butters just to name one) that can be applied to multiple dishes. His videos can get a little long winded sometimes, but kind of following his recipes is incredibly easy and his culinary background shines through in some of the oddest ways all to make what are usually pretty damn good dishes if not a little off the beaten path. Worth a watch if you want to go down the rabbit hole for a few hours.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

It's a pretty regional thing, but I did homemade Springfield style cashew chicken for the first time last night. [expletive] delicious.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

The only reason Mrs. AW puts up with my [expletive] is because she knows if I get all [expletive] up one night, I'll cook something pretty damn good the next day. Dunno why it is, but it always happens. Today is birria tacos again. Lots of veggies. Boiled bone broth. Mmmm. Healthy. Good. It's our new covid tradition. Anyway, here's some pics early on. I love these things.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 15 22, 1:41 pm
The only reason Mrs. AW puts up with my [expletive] is because she knows if I get all [expletive] up one night, I'll cook something pretty damn good the next day. Dunno why it is, but it always happens. Today is birria tacos again. Lots of veggies. Boiled bone broth. Mmmm. Healthy. Good. It's our new covid tradition. Anyway, here's some pics early on. I love these things.

Where’s the damn follow up pic?