Home Improvement Q&A

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Home Improvement Q&A

Post by G. Keenan »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:How many people here do have a Nest thermostat? My wife and I will probably make that one of the first upgrades in the house.
I bought one about a month ago, but haven't started really using it since we haven't moved in yet. It sure is pretty to look at though! Does your furnace have a humidifier? If so, try to check if the wire to the existing thermostat or humidistat has one wire, or two. If it has one wire the Nest will hook up just fine. If it has two wires you will have to install a relay switch on the HVAC control panel before the Nest can control the humidifier.

Check with your local utility if they offer any rebates or discounts on smart thermostats. I got a $100 discount on mine through my local electric utility.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

We got a nest because our old thermostat was one of the first programmable thermostats, and could only program for 4 time slots for 2 sets of days: weekdays and weekends. Due to our work schedules, we wanted a better way to regulate temperatures daily. Otherwise we were wasting heat and AC a couple afternoons per week.

That said, I don't actually like the thermostat adjusting to temperature changes, because I'd prefer to make those adjustments myself. I'd rather it stick to the schedule I set it, and let me move it around depending on what's going on. Depending on the weather outside, and if I'm out or inside that day, I may adjust it some days, and not others, and I don't want it to try to "learn" new settings based on a handful of random adjustments. Over the winter we had some unseasonably warm stretches, and the damn thing kept learning weird adjustments that I had to go in and delete a few times because I didn't want it cranking heat to 62 or whatever we set it at when it was 55-60 most of the day.

And ++ on rebates. I think we got a $100 rebate from the electric company, and a $25 rebate from the gas company after purchasing it. Cost after rebates was like $50.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I have to laugh at the idea of 62 being cranking up the heat.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

haltz wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
haltz wrote:Anyone know of a used/consignment tool shop in St Louis? The one I found online doesn't seem to exist.

Also, My Toxic Masculinity would be a great name for your next album AD.
I would suggest trying a Habit for Humanity ReStore, which often sells used tools and donated items.
Thanks for the tip. I need to check that place out.

Now that I've filled a dumpster with glued down carpet and drop ceiling, I'm going to buy the only gun I'll ever own tomorrow to frame out a floor in my basement. A .22 gauge powder actuated concrete nailer. It's made by Remington and has shells and everything. I'm so excited.
I'm a bit late to the party, but if you want to pick up a bunch of random tools on the cheap, monitor upcoming auctions (auctionzip.com is a good resource) and look for a sale that has a bunch of tools available.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Popeye_Card wrote:
haltz wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
haltz wrote:Anyone know of a used/consignment tool shop in St Louis? The one I found online doesn't seem to exist.

I would suggest trying a Habit for Humanity ReStore, which often sells used tools and donated items.

Now that I've filled a dumpster with glued down carpet and drop ceiling, I'm going to buy the only gun I'll ever own tomorrow to frame out a floor in my basement. A .22 gauge powder actuated concrete nailer. It's made by Remington and has shells and everything. I'm so excited.
I'm a bit late to the party, but if you want to pick up a bunch of random tools on the cheap, monitor upcoming auctions (auctionzip.com is a good resource) and look for a sale that has a bunch of tools available.
For a good place to get nice used tools online, I use https://bigskytool.com. They're a licensed distributor for Hitachi, which is my brand of choice for power tools (equivalent performance to DeWalt and Makita, but cheaper). All of their cordless tools now come with a full lifetime free replacement warranty, so I'll buy the Reconditioned "Grade C" options that are cheapest and if they ever wear out I can get them replaced for free with a brand new one.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Swirls wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
haltz wrote:
sighyoung wrote:

For a good place to get nice used tools online, I use https://bigskytool.com. They're a licensed distributor for Hitachi, which is my brand of choice for power tools (equivalent performance to DeWalt and Makita, but cheaper). All of their cordless tools now come with a full lifetime free replacement warranty, so I'll buy the Reconditioned "Grade C" options that are cheapest and if they ever wear out I can get them replaced for free with a brand new one.
With descriptions like this, how can you go wrong?
The Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch rear handle chain saw is for the metro-sexual! This beast gets it done and you better know how to handle it! Take on the biggest of the BIG with this 20" bar and thePureFire engine will not let you down.

New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star

Post by New Pagodi »

Popeye_Card wrote:I'm a bit late to the party, but if you want to pick up a bunch of random tools on the cheap, monitor upcoming auctions (auctionzip.com is a good resource) and look for a sale that has a bunch of tools available.
BCL is a local company that does tool and restaurant supply auctions. It's been a while since I bought anything from them though.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I have to laugh at the idea of 62 being cranking up the heat.
I'm talking winter obviously. When its 15 or 20 outside, 62 feels pretty good, and you can always wear a sweater if you're still cold.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

JCShutout wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:I have to laugh at the idea of 62 being cranking up the heat.
I'm talking winter obviously. When its 15 or 20 outside, 62 feels pretty good, and you can always wear a sweater if you're still cold.

No I knew what you meant. I'd be miserable keeping my temperature around 55 or 60 in winter. I'll lower it but that's still usually 66.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Thanks guys. Auctions are a great idea. I've had a little luck at pawn shops as well. I found a pretty nice Makita router the other day for $40.