The unpopular opinion thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: The unpopular opinion thread

Post by IMADreamer »

Freed Roger wrote:Being familiar with Tool is overrated.

For some reason I associate them with a Nickelback genre.

Ignorance is bliss in this realm, and unfamiliarity is underrated. BtW , I heard 1 second of that clowns Gods Country [expletive] song. Channel changed crisis averted.
Glad you were able to get that switched off. It's life changing in a bad way.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Not sure if I'm a fan of Tool or....

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Speaking of Tool, their new single is good. Looking forward to their new album.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

vinsanity wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:
vinsanity wrote:I think Pink Floyd and Phish are overrated but I think Phish and Tool are closely related.
That's...um....no. In no way are they closely related. There music is as different as...I don't know, two very different things. The Venn diagram of Phish fans and Tool fans does not intersect. Unless you were trying to compare only the rabidness of their fandom, in which case I could at least see your point, but would still like to point out that Tool has sold 13 million albums to Phish's 3 million. And to think Tool is overrated is...well, I just don't know what to say to that. I guess some people think the Beatles and Radiohead are overrated too, so different strokes or whatever.
I worded it strangely, yes I meant I don't think either band is popular enough to be 'overrated'.
Tool’s dominance on the Billboard charts has continued following the monumental release of Fear Inoculum. The band’s first album in 13 years has now completely filled the Hot Rock Songs chart, with all 10 tracks, including interludes, securing a position.

This is absolutely absurd. The unrivaled might of Tool continues to make history, as Fear Inoculum debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart while every Tool album broke the Top 20 simultaneously. They also filled the entire Top 10 of the Rock Digital Songs chart and secured the longest song in history, “Fear Inoculum,” to break into the Hot 100. Tool also hit No. 1 on the Billboard Artist 100 chart.

https://loudwire.com/every-new-tool-son ... vJbX5Nskpw

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

That's surprising to me. Kind of comforting in a way too: Enough people will listen to something that isn't Drake or Ed Sheeran. I wonder if Tool gets called overrated on account of they have some Radiohead/Dave Matthews Band insufferability level fans, in my experience. It's the Bieber Believer effect.

"I don't know how you could really say you've experienced human expression until you've gotten high, laid on the floor and listened to Kid A three times. You certainly can't say you know anything about music"

You know, that kind of fan? Not calling out anyone here, thankfully.

I was just at a DMB show last week, for the record.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i didnt realize so many people thought Tool was overrated. always kinda felt like they were underrated in the sense that they could appeal to a much wider audience...not just metal heads.

i'm not a metal fan, but i love Tool.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I have managed to go my entire 37 years of life without listening to a Tool song, and this thread does not make me want to change that. This is in spite of my little brother being a big Tool fan in high school. When Lateralus came out he was obsessed with it. I was like nah, I'm good, not interested in listening to a band called Tool.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

How do music pissing contests work these days? It used to be so easy: if I've heard of a band and you haven't, I win and am better than you. Doesn't seem possible anymore. Or maybe it is with SoundCloud but the windows would be so tight to get the T-shirt to prove you were there, that you heard of them first.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:How do music pissing contests work these days? It used to be so easy: if I've heard of a band and you haven't, I win and am better than you. Doesn't seem possible anymore. Or maybe it is with SoundCloud but the windows would be so tight to get the T-shirt to prove you were there, that you heard of them first.
You know you’re a music loser when you get super stoked about music that no one under 60 even cares about.