Crawfish boil

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Crawfish boil

Post by cardsfantx »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:We did one saturday as well. Boiled 101 lbs of crawfish, about 30 husks of corn (frozen, added after the crawfish boil then soaked for 15 minutes), 30 lbs of red potatoes, and about 20 links of andouille sausage (added with the corn).

Probably 50 people showed up and all that was left was aobut 10 lbs of uneaten crawfish. Good times.

I'm not the biggest fan of the food, but it is really fun to cook.
damn, that's a lot! we usually just do approx 50 lbs. but then again, we just have 25ish people max a time (and some don't even eat it...weirdos)
Last edited by cardsfantx on May 30 19, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

You guys are making me jealous.

We do shrimp (or Lowcountry) a few times a year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Tim wrote:You guys are making me jealous.

Better send out invites son.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:We did one saturday as well. Boiled 101 lbs of crawfish, about 30 husks of corn (frozen, added after the crawfish boil then soaked for 15 minutes), 30 lbs of red potatoes, and about 20 links of andouille sausage (added with the corn).

Probably 50 people showed up and all that was left was aobut 10 lbs of uneaten crawfish. Good times.

just went to the biggest one we usually go to, over the holiday weekend. buddy got 120 lbs of jumbo crawfish...the biggest [expletive] things I have ever seen in my life...larger ones looked like small lobsters; I ain't kidding...we we even trying meat from the claws.

ours first one is next weekend, and will be trying the same place out he got his from (Louisiana crawfish company). we should only have 25-30 people though and some don't eat crawfish, so will prob just buy 50-60 pounds. parents came up the other week and brought 30 lbs of gulf shrimp (they live close to Galveston), and thinking of throwing some of those in.

just got this/first time using it, so should be pretty damn easy now...
[SHOW]
[SHOW]

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

oh, and I'm not doing potatoes any more dammit

we've been to 5 so far this year and no one eats them anymore (started noticing last year)

just crawfish, corn, mushrooms, and sausage from now on

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Late summer we catch them and boil them right on the river. Speaking of hot dogs, I use hot dog tongs to catch the buggers because I'm a cheater. Super fun. The taste grows on you.

The potatoes and corn out of the Old Bay crawdad (not crawfish) concoction are delicious.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Tim wrote:You guys are making me jealous.

Better send out invites son.
We had one over memorial day. Hate yall missed it.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cardsfantx wrote:oh, and I'm not doing potatoes any more dammit

we've been to 5 so far this year and no one eats them anymore (started noticing last year)

Don't skip the potatoes.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:oh, and I'm not doing potatoes any more dammit

Don't skip the potatoes.
Agreed. Malpractice if you ask me.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardsfantx wrote:

just went to the biggest one we usually go to, over the holiday weekend. buddy got 120 lbs of jumbo crawfish...the biggest [expletive] things I have ever seen in my life...larger ones looked like small lobsters; I ain't kidding...we we even trying meat from the claws.

ours first one is next weekend, and will be trying the same place out he got his from (Louisiana crawfish company). we should only have 25-30 people though and some don't eat crawfish, so will prob just buy 50-60 pounds. parents came up the other week and brought 30 lbs of gulf shrimp (they live close to Galveston), and thinking of throwing some of those in.

just got this/first time using it, so should be pretty damn easy now...
[SHOW]
[SHOW]
That's awesome. Seems like the crawfish later in the season get bigger (and you're obviously getting them from a place that places an emphasis on size), but the weather gets hotter and everyone sitting outside (obviously not doing this mess inside) in 90 degree heat is kind of miserable.

Re: Potatoes. They're awesome. Put some tony's on them and some parkay blue bottle butter. Mmmmmmm. Plus it helps fill people more cheaply so they don't eat 5 lbs of crawfish or whatever. We serve everything a little differently. Cook the crawfish and put them in a cooler. Then provide beer flats so people have a plate of sorts to dump all the food (and butter) into. Otherwise, if dumped onto the table, the crawfish get cold as not everyone shows up at the same time. I always worry about them steaming in the cooler, but it really doesn't mess them up. Boil water, add crawfish, bring back to boil for 2-3 minutes, turn off the gas, add frozen corn, soak for 15 minutes or so. That seems to work pretty well for me at least. I think cooling the water down with the corn helps the crawfish absorb seasoning and allows them to soak in water that's not 211 degrees but much cooler. Plus it prevents the corn from oversaturating in seasoning/overcooking.

I've seen that cooker at Academy that you have and thought it looked awesome but storing it for me would be a nightmare. Hope it turns out well, keep us updated!