Pick a Kirk, Any Kirk

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

TOS Kirk, Middle Aged Kirk, Old Kirk, Kelvin Kirk

64%
14%
14%
7%

Total votes: 14

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Pick a Kirk, Any Kirk

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL wrote:
October 7 21, 10:29 pm
https://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/2021/10 ... fc-vpx.cnn
William Shatner, who is known for playing Captain Kirk on 'Star Trek,' jokes with CNN's Anderson Cooper about his plans for his space flight with Blue Origin.
i dont want to back page this

but also, for all you RLM haters, shatner also hates them

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't blame him. That was a TNG phaser that he called a TOS phaser and he used it as a communicator. He needs to get serious if he wants Shatner on his show.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I guess i missed this one. Voted for OG Kirk. But i like Pine's Kirk a lot too.

Him not liking RLM is not that weird because he's kind of an [expletive] who hates a lot of people.

I don't hate RLM, it's just typical (IMO) of kind of a rigid and often gatekeeping mentality that I don't understand or enjoy. You're 50 years into Trek at this point, and expecting that thing you like about it to stay the same is just an unreasonable expectation. Same for Star Wars really. There's both an endless appetite for the regurgitation of this stuff and endless criticism of the ways in which that regurgitation fails to adhere to expectations. Sometimes they're right. You make 20 movies or TV shows and some will be genuinely mediocre. There are Bond fans out there who complain about Craig's Bond (they hate Skyfall with a passion) being completely different from the old Bond, and they're absolutely right that it's not the same. I think it happens to be a ton better than the old Bond movies, which I have a certain fondness for while being completely uninterested in watching again.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

dunno if i agree with that. just makes it seems like nothing matters. i mean, i realize we are talking about fictional things, over 50 years etc, but i dont think keeping true to what made something successful in the beginning is bad. star trek had a niche audience for a long time and now it's meant for hte masses, for money of course, which i suppose is a different conversation and not unique to star trek. and maybe, the larger point is, MAKE NEW THINGS! make *new* adventures and characters we fall in love with.

that rlm is pretty funny, shat definitely doesn't know what's going on and dug into it in his curmudgeonly way.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I think it's all always been about money with Star Wars. The mythology around Star Wars is that it "was always a trilogy" but I don't know that we'd have seen more if it just broke even or made a modest profit. There's a line in Spaceballs joking about it. There's lots of what people today would consider retconning in the two sequels, and then of course the prequels. At the time I thought the prequels violated a lot of what made the OT so good, but as time went on I just came to feel it wasn't my place to say. There are kids who grew up with and like those movies. As far as modern day SW, I like most of it. Rogue One is great. Mandalorian too. And I like a lot of the what's in the sequels, despite the flaws and what I see as missed opportunities.

With Star Trek I think Roddenberry himself had pretty noble intentions, but the studios behind those shows and movies always had money in mind. Did he want to make 6 Trek movies? IDK. Star Trek 5 is actually a pretty interesting movie and very into the spirit of the old show. It was also meant to make money.

Definitely make new things, but RLM and similar media definitely thrive off of and promote nostalgia and Hollywood's adaptation/sequel/reboot culture. They and all the rest of the media feed into that and off of it. Consequently that's what gets made. Some of it is simply responding to what's selling tickets, but I also think it's a feedback loop. I notice they don't have one video about the Expanse or Raised By Wolves, just to pick out some recent interesting sci-fi.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

they've brought up expanse in star trek reviews.

absolutely disagree on feedback loop and them *promoting* nostalgia. hollywood doesn't listen to RLM. they ain't that big of a channel all things considered.

they constantly mock the references in movies like the "you'll be dead guy" showing up in rogue one for no other reason than reference.

mandolorian is good 'cause it's simple and grounded...for modern star wars.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

The person using Shatner's Twitter isn't him, this came out months ago, I can't remember the guy's name who runs it. Shatner has no idea what RLM is.

RLM's opinions are often unintentionally manipulative. Most of the people who watch them would love new Star Trek and the prequels if they weren't told it was bad. It's the same phenomenon that goes on with QAnon, Pizzagate, etc. People feel like they've been initiated to a deeper level - because RLM is so good at formulating their arguments in video format. Yet if you break any of the Plinkett reviews apart they usually have a few good points they nail and a lot of things that break apart under scrutiny. But because they've made so many points that sound worse than they are to add to the faults of the film, the whole thing appears more rotten than it is.

That said, new Star Trek is bereft of intelligence and creativity present in the earlier shows by pretty substantial margin.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jocephus wrote:
October 8 21, 11:04 am
they've brought up expanse in star trek reviews.

absolutely disagree on feedback loop and them *promoting* nostalgia. hollywood doesn't listen to RLM. they ain't that big of a channel all things considered.

they constantly mock the references in movies like the "you'll be dead guy" showing up in rogue one for no other reason than reference.

mandolorian is good 'cause it's simple and grounded...for modern star wars.
I'm not saying RLM is specifically directing or influencing Hollywood, I'm saying they're a relatively high profile part of a fan-centered media ecosystem that does. They 100% promote nostalgia though in terms of what they choose to center their content around. I think that's an intentional editorial choice. I assume it's because that's what get's engagement, but that's also being part of a loop.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i think its what interests them and there are others that agree and have their level of cynicism. i'm assuming you haven't watched much 'cause this idea that they *promote* nostalgia is just so utterly wrong, nostalgia is always brought up as negative, particularly when reviewing one of these long standing franchises. i disagree with your theory re: RLM's role. the channel has been around since 2007 technically and they have like 1.3 million which isn't very big all things considered how many voices are on the internet.
Last edited by Jocephus on October 8 21, 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »