The Great Chicken Sandwich War of Summer 2019

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: The Great Chicken Sandwich War of Summer 2019

Post by 33anda3rd »

thrill wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:I managed to get a spicy chicken sandwich at Popeyes last week and it was better than Chick-fil-a’s. Pickles were excellent, better and a different variety than CfA.
Agree. The regular isn't quite as good as the spicy, but the quality of the chicken breast and the crispyness of the breading was better than CFA. Bun was wayyy better.
The bun at Popeye's is clutch. It has that nice soft squishability to it so you can get at it with both hands and give it a little squeeze and everything stays put. Less soft buns don't do that and can flake and fall apart and make the sandwich a mess and not a pleasure to eat. Shout out to Popeye's on the bun.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Never got the sandwich at Chickfila anyway....I'm a chicken tenders type of guy.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

CardsofSTL wrote:Never got the sandwich at Chickfila anyway....I'm a chicken tenders type of guy.
Both of my daughters love chicken tenders.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i feel like everyone here is doing it wrong at chik-fil-a. Their sandies aren't even the best thing on their menu. nor are the c-tendies.

there's only 3 items you should be ordering when going chik-fil-a:

the nuggies WITH POLYNESIAN SAUCE
waffle fries
dr. pepper

popeyes is weird flexing here, almost unnecessarily. I'll definitely try their sandwich, but i'm not rushing out to get it. even if i went today, i'd still get their spicy tenders and fries.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

CardsofSTL wrote:Never got the sandwich at Chickfila anyway....I'm a chicken tenders type of guy.
I'm more of a whole piece of friend chicken kind of guy so while I have had CFA in the last couple of years (they were in our cafeteria one day), I've never been to Raising Canes and have no desire to ever go there. I want some leg and thigh meat to go with my breasts.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

you guys must have different Popeye's around you than we do in TX...

We have, I think it's 3, Popeye's within 10 mins of us, and they're all the same...downright awful. Their's is the blandest, driest chicken that I have ever eaten (spicy and original). it's by far the worst fast food fried chicken that I have ever eaten (and I've given them a shot, many different times, at many different locations)

so, I will not even be attempting their chicken sandwich...it'll just be the Lord's chicken for me.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I used to be more of a KFC fan than Popeye's. I had a bad Popeye's experience. Not vomit-inducing or anything, just I found it blah. So I'm talking to a few friends and they're basically telling me I'm insane. We go to a Popeye's, I eat, it's great. Better than KFC. There's one not far from home, like 4.5 blocks. I go occasionally, maybe once a month. Usually it's great, but it's inconsistent and sometimes it's bad. It's especially bad, usually, like 2-4PM between the lunch and dinner rush when their volume is light and the chicken has been under a heat lamp for a while and the sides have been sitting in the mise en place for a couple hours and have not been turned over for fresh product. I've never had a KFC meal as bad as my worst Popeye's meals. When they hit, they're the best fast food chicken IMO, and when they're off they're the worst.

I think the sando is on the right path. Lots of crispy breading, great bun and they limited the toppings to the ones that matter--some mayo for fattiness and some pickles for acidity and added snap. I look forward to trying it a few more times to see if it exceeds the mediocre first one I had.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If you are just talking fried chicken; then I do prefer KFC. Original too; none of that new fangled hippie chicken.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

cardsfantx wrote:you guys must have different Popeye's around you than we do in TX...

We have, I think it's 3, Popeye's within 10 mins of us, and they're all the same...downright awful. Their's is the blandest, driest chicken that I have ever eaten (spicy and original). it's by far the worst fast food fried chicken that I have ever eaten (and I've given them a shot, many different times, at many different locations)

so, I will not even be attempting their chicken sandwich...it'll just be the Lord's chicken for me.
Probably a management issue; same owners in the same region, so same problems in all the stores. Just guessing, because I don't see how you can describe typical Popeye's chicken as dry. Maybe the tenders, sometimes. It's usually too "wet". We have that problem with the Sonics in our area. Sonic is generally reliable (not great, just consistent) for burgers and stuff, but the one down the street from us is a total disaster. We basically never go to Sonic anymore at all -- even when traveling -- because of that one store.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The cool thing about living in Peoria is that it's extremely uncool, and thus there hasn't been a run on Popeye's, unlike every major market. I'm not only going to be able to go grab a couple spicies for lunch today, I'm not even going to have to wait in line for it.