Joker

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

Re: Joker

Post by go birds »

Popeye_Card wrote:
go birds wrote:to be fair, i think the bewildering, yet impressive, coyote ugly reference is what really caused the derailment
The Coyote Ugly reference was impressive. The point of that movie was pretty clear from the get-go. Let's make a chick flick that perhaps shows enough T&A that guys won't mind having to watch it.

The Demi Moore discussion was good though. I had never really thought about most of those movies that way.
her name is dangerously close to "do me more" so she was basically asking for all those roles

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Jocephus wrote:absorb a movie how you want. if some people want to turn off the brain, fine. if some want to analyze, fine. why does there have to be a choice?
That's fair and I mostly agree. However, I guess I'm just tired of the page long diatribes of those who choose to analyze everything.
why? you don't have to read it, agree with it, do anythign with it. not directed at you but always kind of amazed with people who complain about things they don't have to acknowledge or pay attention to. it's like following someone on twitter you dislike just so you can tell them that you dislike what they are saying.
All true.

However, this can become a challenge for me when a thread or several threads get dominated into political discussion. I would like to read discussion about a movie in the Social Forum without a political diatribe.

I guess a moderator should put this thread into the Politics Forum.
So, for the record, I don't care how you view a movie. If you watch Face/Off or Do The Right Thing or Citizen Kane or anything without giving a second thought to the director's politics, your own politics, whatever, it's all good man. Sometimes we just need to watch Porky's and laugh without thinking about it.

This is a thread about Joker. Joker deserves its own thread outside the general movie thread b/c Joker is going to be a hugely popular film AND a political powder keg. That's part of what's going to come with this movie whether you want to watch it as pure entertainment or not, so you could go back to the movies thread where not much political is mentioned, or you could start a thread about Old School and discuss how it's funny and apolitical, but this thread is going to have to be about Joker and the culture around Joker. That's literally the ENTIRE point of having movie-specific threads, so we can talk about them in obsessive detail, and asking us not to do that is unfair to the discussion.

Also? There's no political diatribe in this thread. There's mention that everything is politics, with examples of how every little detail in a movie involves the director, writer, cinematographer, actor, costume designer, lighting designer, sound designer making a personal choice that is informed by their personal politics. That's not a political diatribe, it's a commentary on the nature of the art of film.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Popeye_Card wrote:
go birds wrote:to be fair, i think the bewildering, yet impressive, coyote ugly reference is what really caused the derailment
The Coyote Ugly reference was impressive. The point of that movie was pretty clear from the get-go. Let's make a chick flick that perhaps shows enough T&A that guys won't mind having to watch it.

The Demi Moore discussion was good though. I had never really thought about most of those movies that way.
Coyote Ugly was merely a movie of the times. At an age when selling records was basically sexualizing girls not old enough to be sexualized, it mirrored what was happening in pop music as a film about a wannabe pop musician. Imagine if Paul Verhoeven had made it. It would have had more T&A but been damning of the T&A culture of pop music. It could have been a Criterion film. It could be one of those that plays at midnight screenings at revival houses. I'll be back later, I gotta go write a 3000-word essay on Coyote Ugly to submit to Film Comment.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I've never seen Coyote Ugly but there's a themed bar in Vegas that caters almost exclusively to middle aged people in cargo shorts that aren't club worthy, but still looking to have a good time. It looks lame as hell, but who am I to judge?

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

33anda3rd wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Jocephus wrote:absorb a movie how you want. if some people want to turn off the brain, fine. if some want to analyze, fine. why does there have to be a choice?
That's fair and I mostly agree. However, I guess I'm just tired of the page long diatribes of those who choose to analyze everything.
why? you don't have to read it, agree with it, do anythign with it. not directed at you but always kind of amazed with people who complain about things they don't have to acknowledge or pay attention to. it's like following someone on twitter you dislike just so you can tell them that you dislike what they are saying.
All true.

However, this can become a challenge for me when a thread or several threads get dominated into political discussion. I would like to read discussion about a movie in the Social Forum without a political diatribe.

I guess a moderator should put this thread into the Politics Forum.
So, for the record, I don't care how you view a movie. If you watch Face/Off or Do The Right Thing or Citizen Kane or anything without giving a second thought to the director's politics, your own politics, whatever, it's all good man. Sometimes we just need to watch Porky's and laugh without thinking about it.

This is a thread about Joker. Joker deserves its own thread outside the general movie thread b/c Joker is going to be a hugely popular film AND a political powder keg. That's part of what's going to come with this movie whether you want to watch it as pure entertainment or not, so you could go back to the movies thread where not much political is mentioned, or you could start a thread about Old School and discuss how it's funny and apolitical, but this thread is going to have to be about Joker and the culture around Joker. That's literally the ENTIRE point of having movie-specific threads, so we can talk about them in obsessive detail, and asking us not to do that is unfair to the discussion.

Also? There's no political diatribe in this thread. There's mention that everything is politics, with examples of how every little detail in a movie involves the director, writer, cinematographer, actor, costume designer, lighting designer, sound designer making a personal choice that is informed by their personal politics. That's not a political diatribe, it's a commentary on the nature of the art of film.
Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I am sorry and I now see that I can do better.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i like you FB, not meant to be an "attack", but thats an annoying answer. for some reason it bothers you that 33 (or anybody, but particularly him) writes out a long response...i really don't know why. your response is childish and you don't need to reply back to me either telling me "thank you for telling me how i am behaving". thats just as bad as some long diatribe, imo at least.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

From what I understand, socially conscious Coyote Ugly exists and is called “Support the Girls”. Haven’t seen it but it came out last year and got good reviews. I think it’s on Hulu or Amazon Prime.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

ghostrunner wrote:From what I understand, socially conscious Coyote Ugly exists and is called “Support the Girls”. Haven’t seen it but it came out last year and got good reviews. I think it’s on Hulu or Amazon Prime.
I hadn't heard of it then it was on Film Comment's best of list that year, so I checked it out. It's really really really good. Regina Hall is awesome in it. It's really low-budget, kind of awkward here and there, but overall quite good.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Jennifer Lopez is going to win an Oscar apparently for Coyote Ugly vs. Wall Street: Apocalypse

but I may not have the title right, and it doesn't look like Michael Douglas or the snake from Anaconda are in it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'd like to apologize for my "fit" on Friday.

Sometimes I'm an ass.