HYPOTHETICAL Insurance/Legal Question

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: HYPOTHETICAL Insurance/Legal Question

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'd probably just pay the ticket and be done with it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

GeddyWrox wrote:
June 16 20, 9:46 am
LOL, Zeus... I wish I had that kinda dough!

I have found one guy so far, he sounds good. He said he usually does a flat $500 and that covers all the court fees and his time. Does that sound fair? I see these ads for traffic firms that "start at" $49 or whatever. Not sure if that's a gimmick price or what. Should I just go with the guy I'm pretty confident in? Also, one of the other firms I called said they don't do speeding tickets in that area but they send their clients to the guy I'm considering. So another firm is good enough with recommending him. I'll probably wind up with him I suppose.
Definitely not my area of law, but that's probably fair. Court costs vary county by county but are probably near $100. It probably would only take a few hours of the lawyer's time, but by agreeing to a flat fee, you cap the risk that things could take longer and therefore get more expensive for you. Ask him to throw in some clorox wipes, and it's a deal.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

CardsofSTL wrote:
June 16 20, 10:48 am
I was in an accident a little over a year ago. My insurance already went up. I don't want to take the points on the license.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

heyzeus wrote:
June 16 20, 10:54 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
June 16 20, 9:46 am
LOL, Zeus... I wish I had that kinda dough!

I have found one guy so far, he sounds good. He said he usually does a flat $500 and that covers all the court fees and his time. Does that sound fair? I see these ads for traffic firms that "start at" $49 or whatever. Not sure if that's a gimmick price or what. Should I just go with the guy I'm pretty confident in? Also, one of the other firms I called said they don't do speeding tickets in that area but they send their clients to the guy I'm considering. So another firm is good enough with recommending him. I'll probably wind up with him I suppose.
Definitely not my area of law, but that's probably fair. Court costs vary county by county but are probably near $100. It probably would only take a few hours of the lawyer's time, but by agreeing to a flat fee, you cap the risk that things could take longer and therefore get more expensive for you. Ask him to throw in some clorox wipes, and it's a deal.
Thanks again man!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

GeddyWrox wrote:
June 16 20, 11:15 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
I was in an accident a little over a year ago. My insurance already went up. I don't want to take the points on the license.
Ah. Have you tried shopping around since the insurance increase? Just asking out of curiosity.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

CardsofSTL wrote:
June 16 20, 11:22 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Ah. Have you tried shopping around since the insurance increase? Just asking out of curiosity.
Not yet. The lady I hit is suing me and the insurance company. They are handling everything for me. It'd be sh!tty to leave while that is still pending. I will probably a little while after that is resolved.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

GeddyWrox wrote:
June 16 20, 11:36 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
June 16 20, 11:22 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Not yet. The lady I hit is suing me and the insurance company. They are handling everything for me. It'd be sh!tty to leave while that is still pending. I will probably a little while after that is resolved.
Ok so all that is still pending. Mostly I was just curious because I hadn't shopped around in a while and just kept letting my policy renew; but when I got the renewal notice this month I thought I should just do a cursory check on some other quotes; but my company was still the best buy.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

GeddyWrox wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
It’s out of state so I’m assuming you haven’t gotten a ticket there in the last year? Most jurisdictions do deferred adjudication which means as long as you don’t get a ticket in that same city/county/wherever it was in the next 6 months/year (they’re all different), then it’s expunged from your record/like it never happened with no points, and your insurance would never know.

I’d check that first/see if they offer the deferred judgment, since it’ll be just the fine and no lawyer fees/etc

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

$500 sounds fair. Just make sure he knows you don't live there and that he can handle it without you needing to appear.