Watchmen

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Watchmen

Post by heyzeus »

Damn this show is great.

But the municipal attorney in me wonders how Trieu got the zoning and building permits to construct a giant death ray in the middle of Tulsa. No Planning and Zoning Commission is likely to sign off on that land use.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

The official podcast or a different one?

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

heyzeus wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I can't adequately explain how [expletive] great this show is.
It really is delivering on every level. Visually stunning. Great characters, writing, and performances. Enigmatic storytelling that withholds mysteries without relying on vague and incomplete writing -- in time, you either figure out each puzzle on your own, or the show gradually reveals it to you in a meaningful way.

But most importantly of all, it's reimagining the very idea of "caped crusaders" within the context of race in America. It asks a really great question at the heart of why superhero comics appeal to so many of us: What would motivate someone to put on a mask in order to fight crime? Why would they need to hide their identity?

It also touches on the idea of generational trauma, and how the racial traumas of our past influence our social dilemmas of the present.

Man, this show kicks ass.
as far as the generational trauma bit, right up there with Bojack Horseman's bit in terms of nailing it on the head

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

heyzeus wrote:Damn this show is great.

But the municipal attorney in me wonders how Trieu got the zoning and building permits to construct a giant death ray in the middle of Tulsa. No Planning and Zoning Commission is likely to sign off on that land use.
really? she's a trillionaire...

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Schlich wrote:

Even trillionaires have to apply for, at a minimum, a conditional use permit to locate a Millenium Clock in what is presumably a General Business or CBD zone. And you can bet the Planning and Zoning commissioners are going to be asking about parking minimums, setbacks, a traffic count analysis, Floor to Area Ratio, and most significantly the height restrictions. You're talking about years of hearings to even make it out of committee, and then the City Council? Oh man, they're going to have irate citizens beating down their doors, especially what with the death rays installed in that thing.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Just watched ep 7. Hmmm.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:
Schlich wrote:

Even trillionaires have to apply for, at a minimum, a conditional use permit to locate a Millenium Clock in what is presumably a General Business or CBD zone. And you can bet the Planning and Zoning commissioners are going to be asking about parking minimums, setbacks, a traffic count analysis, Floor to Area Ratio, and most significantly the height restrictions. You're talking about years of hearings to even make it out of committee, and then the City Council? Oh man, they're going to have irate citizens beating down their doors, especially what with the death rays installed in that thing.
Haven't seen all the episodes but I've often wondered about stuff like this in movies.

That said, come on Zeus, everything is possible. I'm going to guess any plans submitted weren't titled "Giant Death Ray - Phase _" Probably more like "Monumental Tower" and the developer would be "Philanthropic Philanthropies of the Philanthropic Art Type, LLC" Request whatever variances are needed. State the main purpose of this giant death ray, er, monumental tower is to showcase groundbreaking and innovative architectural breakthroughs for public consumption at no cost to the City or public. Further, it will produce green energy that can be donated to the local utilities thereby allowing the utilities to update their aging infrastructure and lower cost of services. The project will meet, at a minimum, LEED Silver requirements. Draft an MOU that the developer will work with public works to construct traffic calming measures as required by the City per City standards/details and be paid for by the devleoper. Bribe, er, lobby the appropriate commissioners/council members. Donate to the mayors re-election campaign. And, boom. You're all set. Hold public hearings that are all for show as the requisite votes have already been purchased, get everything rubber stamped over the course of a couple months, and everything is set.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

That show was pretty awesome. Binge watched from ep 4 - 9. And it just kept getting better.

There's a lot of little nitpicks that could be made. But, the shows so good it makes up for any little nitpick. That said...
[SHOW]
Uhhhh....the frozen squid coming down like a gatlin gun? Makes sense. Definitely destroyed Trieu's (presumably multi-billion dollar) machine. Definitely put a hole in Trieu's hand. But, didn't hurt that phone booth Bian and Angela were in? Didn't hurt that plastic briefcase or whatever it was that Angela put over her head?

Also, Manhattan I think had always been looking for ways to end his life. I think the backstory, and I could be wrong, is that he was miserable as this omnipotent being. So, that fits in real well with what he did as Cal and it also fits in real well with the ending. But, as some omnipotent being, you'd think he could have found a better resolution to his being than....risking Trieu taking his powers. Assuming he could see everything up to the point of his death and not after, he had a lot of confidence in Ozymandius stopping Triue....also assuming that Trieu was evil and had to be stopped. As good as the show was, there's a lot of questions raised by the ending.

And, here's the biggest one for me. It's clear that Manhattan in his first drink with Angela says he can put his powers in an organic form (eg, egg) and the person that ate it could inherit his powers. Which, is a lot more simple than building whatever Trieu did and whatever the kalvary did (lol). There's no reason to think the egg Angela ate wouldn't give her those powers (what Manhattan said about being able to do it at the first drink, the fact he protected an egg when she broke them, the fact he told Reeves to tell Angela she'd understand the phrase 'need to break an egg to make omelettes' when the time was right, the fact Manhattan told Angela she needed to see him walk on the pools water where she would first test her powers). But, is that transfer a one time thing and is it all or nothing. For instance, Manhattan obviously has multiple powers. Teleporting, omnipotency, etc. He retained the ability to transport people to the end. Does that mean he didn't put that power into the egg. Or is it like cloning. He can put it in the egg and retain the power. And then do it again and again and again. Or did he retain the ability to teleport people but not the omnipotence power and Angela only inherited a portion of his powers?

I really liked season 1 and thought it was great entertainment, acting, story-telling, writing, and film-making. Superb. That said, I'm leery they can duplicate it in a season 2.
Season 1 worked because it was a story about the intermingling of multiple 'heroes' and how they all manipulated each other to achieve their own goals. All in an overall story that made sense with real-world political implications. However, Ozymandius is in jail, Trieu is dead, HJ is 100 years old. There are other characters, presumably, they could tap into but they've kind of wrapped up the arcs for some main characters. There's obviously Angela and the show could morph into her story about acting as Manhattan assuming she inherited all powers. There is going to be a TON of internal conflict there and presumably external conflict as well. But, it's going to be more of a sequel to Watchmen if that's the route they go. One I'd watch and be optimistic about. But, at the same time.....it would either shift from the source story to one of its own. Or it would sputter after resolving so much of the source material in one season. JMO.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

This article is gonna delve into politics, so avoid it if you browse Social to avoid political stuff these days.

But it's premise is solid - the Watchmen is eerily prescient for these times.

https://decider.com/2020/06/04/watchmen ... massacres/