Where should I move?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Smith Corks One
All-Star

Where should I move?

Post by Smith Corks One »

So, after living in the Metro (east) St. Louis area my entire life, my wife and I are starting to seriously consider moving. While we have a few ideas, there are just soooooo many places, many of which I know nothing about. Trying to get a list of ideas so we can do some research and see what we find. Any input or information is welcome! Here's kind of what we're looking for:

1) A big, or pretty big, city. Something that's walkable or has great public transportation. My wife's from a big city in Vietnam, and misses that big city vibe; I've always been fascinated with the idea.

2) Somewhere with good air quality. It's awful here in our factory town, and we both have been having all kinds of sinus issues; can't help but think it's related to the bad air.

3) Great restaurants, with plenty of Asian and vegetarian options, where it's extremely easy to get food late at night. Wife misses getting hungry at 10 p.m. and being able to walk a few hundred yards to get something to eat. She's not a big fan of most American food, and I'm not able to quickly whip up a bowl of pho or a banh mi at a moment's notice.

4) Mild winters and lots of sun. This is a tough one, because I'm afraid it eliminates a lot of options that meet the other criteria. So I will say the sunshine is more important than the mild winters - she's gotten used to dealing with the cold, so I think we could handle it if the city was awesome enough. Can't compromise on the sunshine, though - we hate dreary, overcast days.

5) Nearby the ocean, or at least a giant (i.e., Great) lake. She grew up right by the sea/ocean, and is convinced it also helped keep her sinuses clear.

6) Cool things to do, even if it's just walking around, people watching, etc.

7) Insulation from climate change. Obviously, climate change can manifest in a lot of different ways, so not too concerned with this one. But it probably eliminates extreme places like Miami and Phoenix.

Don't worry about cost when throwing out your suggestions (although feel free to mention it). Obviously, what we can afford vis a vis costs and the job market in our fields is something we will have to look at, but I don't want it to eliminate anything in these early stages.

Thanks; looking forward to suggestions!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Where should I move?

Post by thrill »

Atlanta isn't on the coast, which is good for climate change reasons, and checks all of your boxes.

New Orleans would be ideal, but the climate change factor makes it tricky. But there's a huge Vietnamese community, incredible food, warm weather, etc.

Charleston is a contender but has the same proximity to the sea issue that NOLA does.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I was going to suggest London until I got to #4.

Have you looked into San Francisco?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Sounds like San Diego should be your destination, though i don't know about the amount of asian food options.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

You want Austin. Summers are hot as [expletive] [expletive], but otherwise it's the things you're looking for. Except for the public transportation, which still pretty well sucks.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Atlanta, Austin and Charleston all came to mind.

And here is my wild card. Mexico City (or some other good sized city in Mexico friendly to immigration)

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If public transit is high on your list along with weather you are going to be limited; as in my uninformed anecdotal opinion most of the best public transit cities are cold AF in the winter. NYC; Chicago; Philly; D.C. I would say San Francisco probably checks most of your boxes...especially food related and public transit. But there is homeless poop on several sidewalks; so you take your chances. I'd suggest coming up with a short list of possibilities; and doing some extended stays in some of these places. Use airbnb so you can get a feel for living in the city as opposed to staying at a hotel.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

If you can stomach the cold, I vote Minneapolis. There are in fact sunny days. And it's sunnier than Seattle!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Swirls wrote:And it's sunnier than Seattle!
So is the Moon.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

San Diego?