Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BrntOrngStud
Veteran Player

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BrntOrngStud »

pioneer98 wrote:
April 14 22, 7:40 pm
My wife's best friend is a covid long-hauler. She got covid about 6 months ago. About 3 months ago, she was having trouble breathing but they thought it was asthma so they put her on an inhaler. About 3 weeks ago, she was feeling really terrible and went to the ER. She was in the hospital for 10 days with blood clots by her lungs. The clots were going into the lungs, and not away from the lungs, or she'd have had a stroke or heart attack. Instead, she just couldn't get enough oxygen. She was just in the hospital again for a day with light-headedness, likely from the medications they put her on. They adjusted the medication. She does have health insurance but she's 3 months behind on rent due to this and other money issues.
Hey pioneer, I hope your wife's best friend gets better. In the beginning, I know most of my colleagues were minimizing the risks from long COVID. There's a procedure known as the Stellate Ganglion Block that has been efficacious in reducing some symptoms of long COVID (muscle pain, joint pain, etc) but it looks like she wouldn't be an ideal candidate for it since coagulopathy is a contraindication for it. Regardless, best wishes to her for a safe and healthy recovery.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I almost hate to bump this thread but it's still hitting me hard. Was doing fine, then Monday night spiked a big fever. Tuesday the fever was 103.4. Went to the doctor Wednesday as I was having trouble breathing and had to be driven there I was so week. I tested covid negative, but I have an sinus infection and pneumonia again. All because I just got wrecked by covid last year.

I also had one of my best friends parents both test positive for Covid yesterday. One has cancer, neither are vaccinated. I'm afraid one or both won't make it.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Sorry to hear that Dreamer, it definitely sounds like long COVID is much more prevalent in the population than originally anticipated. And there’s no need to apologize for bumping this thread, COVID is very much still a thing even though people no longer like to talk about it.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

My wife finally got it, which I figured was inevitable with all the work trips her company was making her take. She also contracted strep throat, so she's fighting both. Symptoms include sore throat, fever, coughing, fatigue. No loss of taste or smell.

It's likely she passed it on to my father before she ever knew she was contagious, as they rode in a car together for about an hour. Happy Father's Day to him!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Headed out of the country in a couple months. The rules for entry are vaxxed people don’t need a test to enter. Unvaxxed do.

We never got our kids vaxxed because they both have had it and the uncertainty around the risk reward was there.

Not to spark another debate, but we asked little AW if he’d rather get vaxxed or take a test and he wants to get the vaccine because his friends did it. Which is upsetting in its own right.

Littlest AW doesn’t want to go if she has to do either. Lol.

Regardless, I looked back into it tonight. And it does appear the released Pfizer papers show a roughly 1 in 10,0000 chance at developing myocarditis which is about 200x higher than the average non infected non vaxxed kid. There’s little doubt the vax comes with risks. Small as they may be. The margins are so small between the risk reward I still fall squarely in line with don’t vax especially the second shot and especially for kids that’s had it or at a minimum been exposed. Getting vaxxed now is like the worst of all worlds. Take the risk of the vax after taking the risk of the virus unvaxxed.

But whatever.

Wish Covid didn’t exist.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Anyone seen good information on BA5 vs original Omicron? Both in terms of transmission and severity?

There are some wild claims that appear to be unfounded, like you’re going to get it every 3 weeks.

As of now, we’re still Covid free (as far as we know) as a family and haven’t been wearing masks or anything for months now.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Read the whole thread, but:
In general, as the harms caused by COVID have drastically dropped with widespread immunity, most people have moved on, and the percentage of online discussants still highly engaged on the topic has become much more concentrated by those with deranged over the top views of the risks. Some truly wild nonsense like everyone will be infected every few weeks until your body dissolves being passed around right now. Would be best to ignore but also sad to see the unnecessary anxiety and harmful responses still being generated.
Last edited by Arthur Dent on July 10 22, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I continue to hear that BA5 is more transmissible, but I’ve heard varying things on the severity of it.

There’s a VA study out there that looks to show the more often one catches it, the more harmful the disease seems to be so the “catching it every 3 weeks” mindset, or even the mindset of “oh well, it’s here to stay, I’m just going to do what I want to do” seems like you’re setting yourself up for some potential severe implications in the future.

There’s also data out there that seems to suggest the more doses of the vaccine you get the more susceptible you are to catching COVID once you’re in the “waning” period of the vaccine (which seems to get shorter and shorter which each additional dose). So while it may still protect you from serious illness/disease you’re upping your chances of catching it, therefore opening oneself up to the likelihood of eventually getting long COVID.

There’s still so much unknown about all of this, the longer you can keep yourself from getting it the better off you’re going to be.

Edit: This is something I just read…granted it’s out of fortune so it’s not exactly a scientific journal. It was actually saying that even outdoor gatherings may be areas of concern w/ the new omicron variants
New studies suggest that BA.4 and BA.5, currently sweeping the U.S. and countries around the globe, have a growth advantage over BA.2 similar to the growth advantage BA.2 had over BA.1. Thus, the latest dominant COVID subvariants have a reproductive rate of around 18.6, tying or surpassing measles, the world’s most infectious viral disease, according to Esterman.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I haven't been wearing a mask on the bus/train or anywhere else really for about the past 6 weeks. With BA5 on the scene now I'm on the fence about whether or not to resume wearing it, leaning towards not. My thinking is that since I had Covid, presumably Omicron or BA2, the last week of March/1st week of April, i.e. 3 months ago, I should still have some immunity towards BA4 & BA5. I would rather get exposed to those now, while my body remembers Omicron/BA2, than wear a mask for the next few months only to catch BA5 anyway in the fall when my immunity will have waned.

Am I crazy?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

No. That makes sense. That said, when you had COVID, it was only detected through testing, right? Or did you get a later symptomatic case? It’s possible an asymptomatic case could be a very low level exposure that didn’t generate a big immune response. And you don’t actually know what exact variant you got or what the exact cross immunity is to whatever is currently circulating, though in general symptomatic cross immunity among the various omicron flavors is good and of course strongest with recent exposure.

In any case, I wouldn’t stress too much about these kinds of predictions. No matter what you or anyone else does, you’re going to be exposed to COVID multiple times over your lifetime. With vaccination and/or prior exposure, the risk of severe disease is a very low/normal risk like all those associated with being alive, though you may or may not have some level of cold/flu type symptoms depending on a variety of somewhat unpredictable factors. Fighting off exposures to different versions of bugs that it’s seen before is what your immune system has been doing for your entire life mostly without your notice and is what it is best at.