Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Arthur Dent »

heyzeus wrote:
October 1 21, 8:26 am
Some promising news - an antiviral medication that has really promising results is going to be fasttracked for an EUA. It appears to greatly cut down severe covid, and could be a gamechanger for the unvaccinated as well as the high-risk vaccinated.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/202 ... 938807001/
Of the participants who received molnupiravir, 28 or 7.3% were hospitalized during the month-long trial. In the placebo group, 53 people – or 14% –were hospitalized and 8 of them died.
Seems like great news, though I have to say that the mechanism of action, slowing viral growth rate by increasing its mutation rate, is kind of scary.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

maher had a decent point last night i thought as far as this drug. it got brought up and he was hopeful it would help and all and just saying that americans *like* pills (not even derogatorily). much more likely to get people to participate with pills than a shot.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

(to the rhythm of Uptown Funk)
Mol-Nu-Pir-Avir
Molnupiravir
Mol-Nu-Pir-Avir
Molnupiravir

just workshopping this

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arthur Dent wrote:
October 2 21, 9:33 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
September 29 21, 8:47 am
My concern, and I was not alone, was that large circulation of the virus in the population would be exacerbated with the reopening of schools and the congregation of students.
I don’t think it was ever very credible that schools by themselves were a major source of overall circulation. It’s just not a high enough fraction of total contacts. You saw this very early with these epidemic models, that were at the time being used to argue that school closure was not enough on its own, but what really happened is exactly that. Add to that, COVID is both (vastly) less dangerous to kids and (not as dramatically) less transmissible by them. I understand why people might want to shut them anyway, but I don’t think on an overall epidemiological level, it helped much. The bigger danger is to teachers than kids, and my understanding is that for schools that remained open in person, teachers were infected at basically the same rate as the overall population. The main benefit of virtual schooling was that it allowed teachers to join their white collar peers with the option to really hide out, which I don’t know, but I just find the class based unequal risk sharing dimension of this thing really dark.
Certainly there was not much spread attributable to in person learning last year (2020) and as you noted in class teachers were not infected at a higher rate than the general population. I’d also heard way back at the beginning in China there were family outbreaks but none started with children. From China so take it fwiw.

Last year, though, there was pretty much universal masking and the variants were less likely to affect children (and possibly dampened they’re ability to spread it compared to covid). At the time the southern states went back to school, you could pretty reasonably look at the numbers and conclude somewhere between .3 and 1% of the population was infected overall. With the majority of schools likely to have a couple hundred people, delta being exceptionally transmissible, and universal masking no longer a given, it got my attention. Though I agree with most everything you said, those were my thoughts.

Regarding your last sentence, I’m somewhat confused. I’m of the uneducated and unresearched opinion that in class learning is more efficient and beneficial unless a parent is available to essentially home school the pupil using the schools material. I’d guess in class learners were more likely to have parents that had to go to work and were less affluent. But haven’t really looked into it. Following that, you’d have a situation where the lower class kids ended up with equal or bettter education.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34406358/

Myocarditis reportings now have at least one known cause (according to tests on mice) = the administrator hitting a vein and injecting the vaccine right into it. AFAIK, when you give a non-intravenous shot, you're supposed to pull back and see if the plunger will retract to draw blood, if not, you're good to go.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

AdmiralKird wrote:
October 5 21, 9:45 am
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34406358/

Myocarditis reportings now have at least one known cause (according to tests on mice) = the administrator hitting a vein and injecting the vaccine right into it. AFAIK, when you give a non-intravenous shot, you're supposed to pull back and see if the plunger will retract to draw blood, if not, you're good to go.
You've been listening to John Campbell haven't you, ha!

He's been advocating aspiration prior to vaccination since the beginning.

AdmiralKird

Post by AdmiralKird »

I usually watch his stuff, but I haven't seen any of his stuff for awhile. Has he talked about this study? My mother was a nurse at a bloodbank.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

AdmiralKird wrote:
October 5 21, 11:46 am
I usually watch his stuff, but I haven't seen any of his stuff for awhile. Has he talked about this study? My mother was a nurse at a bloodbank.
Yeah, he's been banging the drum for months now if not longer. He made a video about that study a week ago or so...

AdmiralKird

Post by AdmiralKird »

I guess this still doesn't explain why cases in men are higher than women though.

BrntOrngStud
Veteran Player

Post by BrntOrngStud »

AdmiralKird wrote:
October 5 21, 12:41 pm
I guess this still doesn't explain why cases in men are higher than women though.
Physiologically, men express higher levels of angiotensin-converting enzyme-2 (ACE 2- receptor for coronavirus). The receptor is the protein on the surface of the cell that the virus binds to. Also, there are sex-based immunological differences driven by sex hormones. From a behavior standpoint, men have higher levels of riskier behaviors than women (less likely to wash hands, face mask and higher levels of smoking in men).

BrntOrngStud, M.D.
I'm an anesthesiologist so my understanding of COVID-19 is not equivalent to an epidemiologist/virologist/infectious disease doctor/etc. but I have a sufficiently strong understanding to answer a basic question like yours. I hope that made sense.