Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Coronavirus

Post by GeddyWrox »

It's kind of like antibiotic resistant bugs. If you only have half assed usage, you create an environment that can accelerate adaptation. But if everyone got on board with proper usage, said bacteria/virus would not have enough viable hosts to propagate. So, it still seems evident to me that that the unwillingness to vaccinate is the key problem.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

GeddyWrox wrote:
July 30 21, 6:08 pm
It's kind of like antibiotic resistant bugs. If you only have half assed usage, you create an environment that can accelerate adaptation. But if everyone got on board with proper usage, said bacteria/virus would not have enough viable hosts to propagate. So, it still seems evident to me that that the unwillingness to vaccinate is the key problem.
So in this scenario one would think the proper measure would be to reduce antibiotic usage, not the opposite.

It’s the overuse of antibiotics that cause the resistance.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

No. That's not entirely correct. It is incorrect application, yes, but it is also people that only take a portion of their prescribed amount.

And with the vaccine, the best application of it would have been to vaccinate 80%+ of the world at once. Probably not realistic from a logistical standpoint. But clearly partial adoption of the vaccine is a problem. I blame those not getting vaccinated. I do not blame those getting vaccinated. Sue me.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I think that’s misguided, but everyone is entitled to their opinion

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

K

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I think the thing to do is not to mandate it as a direct government edict, but mandate it for attendance at events, places of business, offices, etc...

In isolation, I really do get the reluctance based on a short trial. If this were a cold vaccine, that’s logical. It’s holding fast to that when seeing the other side of the ledger that I don’t get.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

ah the undecided voter rides again as vaccination skeptic.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Pretty big. I’m not as comfortable with this as I am requiring it of customers, but it’s probably where things are headed.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

The country needs vaccinated. Good to see companies step up.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

cardinalkarp wrote:
July 30 21, 1:44 pm
mikechamp wrote:
July 30 21, 1:38 pm
Unless someone (else) was rooting for a higher number of deaths and hospitalizations, I'm not sure what goalposts have changed.
So it went from the vaccine is actually supposed to be preventing people from getting COVID, to now it’s as long as it keeps you out of the hospital (which of course is a great thing) is the marker. So the vaccinated now [expletive] and moan about having to wear a mask again, blame the unvaccinated for still spreading the virus all the while they are spreading it just as much.

This just makes me think of the Mark Twain quote:

“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled”
You have a super spreader event with a highly contagious, new strain. Most of the cases were among vaxxed because most of the population there is vaxxed. No one died and a handful went to the hospital.

610k died with mask and social distancing mandates and 800 have died vaccinated. I'll just keep saying it.