Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

kriptopoulin wrote:
April 11 22, 11:52 pm
is corona virus is dead or alive ?
Many are alive. And many are dead.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

My wife's best friend is a covid long-hauler. She got covid about 6 months ago. About 3 months ago, she was having trouble breathing but they thought it was asthma so they put her on an inhaler. About 3 weeks ago, she was feeling really terrible and went to the ER. She was in the hospital for 10 days with blood clots by her lungs. The clots were going into the lungs, and not away from the lungs, or she'd have had a stroke or heart attack. Instead, she just couldn't get enough oxygen. She was just in the hospital again for a day with light-headedness, likely from the medications they put her on. They adjusted the medication. She does have health insurance but she's 3 months behind on rent due to this and other money issues.

kriptopoulin
Meatloaf Aficionado

Post by kriptopoulin »

pioneer98 wrote:
April 14 22, 7:40 pm
My wife's best friend is a covid long-hauler. She got covid about 6 months ago. About 3 months ago, she was having trouble breathing but they thought it was asthma so they put her on an inhaler. About 3 weeks ago, she was feeling really terrible and went to the ER. She was in the hospital for 10 days with blood clots by her lungs. The clots were going into the lungs, and not away from the lungs, or she'd have had a stroke or heart attack. Instead, she just couldn't get enough oxygen. She was just in the hospital again for a day with light-headedness, likely from the medications they put her on. They adjusted the medication. She does have health insurance but she's 3 months behind on rent due to this and other money issues.
may God will peace on her.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

pioneer98 wrote:
Oof, that’s rough. Hope she gets better.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

pioneer98 wrote:
I'm really sorry and hope she improves from here out.

My brother was on a work trip and tested positive yesterday. He seems fine, and he's vaxxed and boosted, but he has some health risks that I worry about.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Damn. I am sorry to hear about all of this.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

pioneer98 wrote:
Sorry to hear that, and I hope things improve for her.

One of my best friends is also suffering with long covid. She caught it twice during the fall of '20, and she's still dealing with fatigue, joint pain, and brain fog. It's also triggered such debilitating depression and anxiety that she had to leave her job.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I hadn't seen this site before. Pretty cool. Sewer shed coronavirus tracker for Missouri. Hopefully they get better about getting this info everywhere!

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f7 ... c07f81aacf

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Being a health care worker, she would have had a higher risk of exposure than the common person. Still, an interesting finding:
Covid: Woman caught virus twice within record 20 days

A 31-year-old healthcare worker caught Covid twice within 20 days - the shortest-known gap between infections, Spanish researchers have claimed.

Tests show the woman was infected with two different variants - Delta in late December and then Omicron in January. This shows that even if you have had Covid before, you can still be infected again even if fully vaccinated, the researchers say.

The Spaniard did not develop any symptoms after her first positive PCR test, but less than three weeks later she developed a cough and fever which prompted her to take another test. When the tests were analysed further, they showed the patient had been infected by two different strains of coronavirus.

In a presentation at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, study author Dr. Gemma Recio said the case highlighted that Omicron can "evade the previous immunity acquired either from a natural infection with other variants or from vaccines". She said: "In other words, people who have had Covid-19 cannot assume they are protected against reinfection, even if they have been fully vaccinated. Nevertheless, both previous infection with other variants and vaccination do seem to partially protect against severe disease and hospitalisation in those with Omicron," added Dr Recio, from the Institut Catala de Salut, Tarragona in Spain.
And the article ends on an uplifting note:
Scientists predict that eventually everyone will catch Covid twice, and probably many more times over the course of their lifetime.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61161529

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Covid finally caught me, but not too surprising after flying to a conference with 1300 people in attendance from around the country. Mild symptoms so far. What is surprising (to me) is that I'm the first person in my immediate family to get it. My wife and kids are in school all day every day, but with masks on. Still assumed one of them would have caught it by now.

I also won a bottle of Fireball and some drinks glasses in a raffle there. But I'm not sure that makes it worth it.