Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

cardinalkarp wrote:
January 15 21, 10:34 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 14 21, 1:38 pm
Exactly. Also, no one said the virus was 100% effective.

Virus is 95% effective a week or two after the 2nd dose is given. Hundreds of thousands are starting to get to the point where they're reaching that point of being a week or two past their 2nd dose. Should be expected a few people will still get it.

Anecdotally, my wife has seen a handful of patients that tested positive a couple days after getting the first dose and her friend in dallas noted that she had seen a 'lot' of people testing positive after the first dose. And, I was like...yeah, there's a 'lot' of people being infected overall and tens of thousands are getting their first dose every day between little rock and dallas. So...it should be expected.
I have no clue how things are being explained when the vaccine is being administered, but I can tell you that I think the MSM is doing a piss poor job of explaining that this vaccine is not a cure all and you still have to take the normal precautions as you might still be able to contract/spread COVID.

We have to get used to the fact that general population of the United States is just not that bright. I think they are under the belief that once they get the vaccine they are good to go to not only not get COVID, let alone not be able to spread it. Honestly in the near future I don’t think we’re going to see a decline in the spread as people who get the vaccine (which will reduce symptoms) will go out unprotected and continue to spread the disease.
I think this is the case as well.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 15 21, 9:51 am
Radbird wrote:
January 15 21, 9:33 am
The next phase of NH vaccine rollout begins on Jan 26 to March and we qualify for it (65+). We can register through state website starting next Thursday. While thankful and will definitely take advantage of it, I’m not happy that teachers aren’t included until the next phase planned for March to May. That’s too late in the school year. We could stay safe for a couple more months much easier than those on the frontlines like our kids’ educators.
We are getting shots today because of our daughter being in a high risk group (Down Syndrome) I was surprised to hear that because there was talk earlier of people with special needs being put in lower pools because of, well, their special needs. I guess other voices won out here in Oregon.
Here is the NH schedule:
Phase 1A: Underway now through March (about 110,000 people)
• High-risk health workers
• Long-term care residents
• First responders

Phase 1B: January 26 to March (about 300,000 people)
• People 65 years old or older
• Medically vulnerable at significantly higher risk, including family caregivers for those under 16
• Staff and residents of IDD facilities
• Corrections officers and staff

Phase 2A: March to May (about 175,000 people)
• People 65-74 years old
• K-12 teachers, school staff, child care workers

Phase 2B: March to May (about 200,000 people)
• People 50-65 years old

Phase 3A: May and beyond (about 325,000 people)
• Medically vulnerable people 50 years of age and younger who are at a moderate risk

Phase 3B: May and beyond. (about 325,000 people)
• Everyone else who has not yet been vaccinated

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

The two things I've always been wary of with this pandemic: logistics of vaccinations and long-term damage to survivors. I'll apologize now for sharing a link to a video (instead of an article), but the headline shows why I am sharing it:
Texas trauma surgeon says ‘post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung we’ve ever seen’

https://www.kmov.com/texas-trauma-surge ... 8de38.html

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

UGH

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

mikechamp wrote:
January 15 21, 3:27 pm
The two things I've always been wary of with this pandemic: logistics of vaccinations and long-term damage to survivors. I'll apologize now for sharing a link to a video (instead of an article), but the headline shows why I am sharing it:
Texas trauma surgeon says ‘post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung we’ve ever seen’

https://www.kmov.com/texas-trauma-surge ... 8de38.html
Personally I find videos to be easier to digest and give a better understanding.

That said...
How can you compare smokers lungs (ie, tar) to a viral response (ie, liquid from broken blood vessels)? Looking to pneumonia for guidance here, it’s pretty well established the body will get rid of the later and have problems with the former (for obvious reasons).

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I hate that we live in a world where if I'm sick I have to go get tested for Corona. Woke up today with a 103 temp. Feel like I got hit by a truck. Getting tested tomorrow.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

hope you feel better ima regardless of what you've got.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

crazy, after my daughter tested positive - all negatives twice for us other 3 in my circle that were exposed maskless to her, 2 of this 3 also exposed to who my daughter likely got it from.

4 counting grandbaby (also negative,l

we are within the window for accurate testing, especially the 2nd time. All 3 of us have had some symptoms, or so we thought. but fatique is tough one to baseline these days. my wife had loss of taste /smell. my throat is scratchy and the fatique feels like sickness fatique with the ache

Its odd. my wife is going to get tested at diff place, as work from home is not an option, needs to know for safety reasons, and doesnt get paid for missed work. unless she produces a + result. (though this may be wrong. she may have to go over her bosses head).

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Loss of taste/smell is a pretty much enough for any doctor to diagnose her with covid, especially given the exposure. If you have a PCP, I would imagine they wouldn't have an issue writing a letter stating your wife needs to quarantine due to being covid+ regardless of what any test shows.