Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Coronavirus

Post by cardinalkarp »

mikechamp wrote:
July 15 21, 10:32 am
cardinalkarp wrote:
July 15 21, 8:57 am
We can't go back in time. This is a scenario akin to a war in which the population needs to make sacrifices for the greater good. And by sacrifice I mean taking on the small degree of risk that comes from the vaccines. There are times where citizens have to stand up and do their part for the greater good, even when that means taking on a degree of personal risk. Luckily for us, the risk of the vaccine is approximately a million times less than say, storming the beaches of Normandy.
Which is fine, and I understand all of that. But to provide the vaccine makers and the US government w/ complete immunity from these peoples injuries (or any others harmed by the vaccine) is pretty despicable. If the government is making a HUGE push to get the vaccine, the LEAST they could do is pay for the medical bills if you’re harmed by it.

Like the gentleman said in the video, when it’s happening to someone else the vaccine poses minor issues and low risk, until it happens to you or someone you love.
I wanted to address the bolded (by me) statement.

I thought I had posted about this way earlier in this thread, but the vaccine manufacturers are supposed to provide compensation for injuries. There is a fund set up to do just that. Unfortunately, and I can't remember which media outlet it was that reported on it, they make the victim reporting criteria very narrow AND the government doesn't do a very good job of enforcing the compensation responsibility by the manufacturers. All that is to say that the vaccine manufacturers don't have complete immunity, because that's not how the system is set up, but they do have substantial immunity due to a broken/unenforced compensation system.
I’d like to clarify what I posted previously (and to which you responded to mikechamp). I was to apologize about my slightly misleading previous post. It is true that there is a vaccine program that is designed to give people money that is harmed by a vaccine. I believe it’s designed in a way that for every vaccine given, a portion of the $$ it costs it stashed in a fund controlled by the US government. So instead of the vaccine manufacturers being liable the individual now has to go after the US government for compensation (and I’m sure you know how well that goes for most). As you stated mikechamp, it’s a broken system (like most ran by the government these days) where it’s nearly impossible for the individual to collect (and that’s for vaccines other than COVID)…they’ve made it even more difficult to collect for injuries from the COVID vaccine to the point that lawyers tell people to not even bother.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sorry guys, I don't have any info on how much protection natural infection offers. My understanding at the beginning when I spent a lot more time on this topic was it was likely the immunity (natural infections were only being discussed then as vaccines weren't about) would be long lasting (based on Sars-Cov-1 and MERS patients not being infected with covid and some biochemistry things iirc). I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but anything I read anymore I tend to forget quickly thereafter.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

The official recommendation is to get vaccinated regardless of being infected or not. The doctor is relying on official recommendations which is completely standard. The 90 days is the general amount of time antibodies are thought to remain in the body, but antibodies are likely not needed for protection. I don't know if the official stance has changed on that, though, the CDC and FDA jointly announcing boosters aren't needed seems to hint they are headed that direction if they haven't completely.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Anecdotal stuff here. The hospital Mrs. AW works at saw a peak of 36ish patients last January or February. They're up to 20 now. Over the course of the pandemic, the ICU has not received a single vaccinated patient (makes sense as the majority of the pandemic we didn't have vaccines, but it's held true even during this latest surge). They admitted 1 vaxxed patient that has since recovered.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Non anecdotally, of the 18,000 people in the US who died of COVID in May only 150 were fully vaccinated.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Wow! With the vaccine now widely available, I hadn't been paying as close attention. We're still losing over 500/day to COVID in this country?

My goodness.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Just saw U.K. expects more vaccinated people (85% 1 dose 67% 2 dose) to be infected with covid than unvaxxed people next week.

https://youtu.be/Jv3Q74CLU1c

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
July 17 21, 8:27 pm
Just saw U.K. expects more vaccinated people (85% 1 dose 67% 2 dose) to be infected with covid than unvaxxed people next week.

https://youtu.be/Jv3Q74CLU1c
Now why on Earth would that be?

A. I don’t have any hard proof, but I think industry backed science over estimated the efficacy of the vaccine

B. I’m sure the unvaccinated will be blamed for causing the variants which of course the vaccine is also supposed to protect against, but again, doesn’t seem to be the case. But on top of that there’s research out there that actually says the vaccine itself is contributing to the variants….so you know, there’s that as well.

The fact that the US stopped tracking cases of COVID for the vaccinated (unless hospitalized) is enough evidence to me that they don’t really want to know the true effectiveness of the vaccine. Yes, it does protect people from becoming seriously ill for the most part (which is obviously beneficial), but if a vaccinated person catches a mild case of COVID and goes out maskless I would have to imagine the possibility of transmission is there (albeit low, since they likely have a low viral load). As always, the US was preemptive in lowering restrictions and letting people go out maskless.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

For christ sake.

Vaccinated people get the virus but get sick at a MUCH reduced rate. Why? Because their bodies are able to fight it off. Because they have antibodies. Because, you know, they got vaccinated.

It's how it works.

For christ sake.

Stop messing with your and your family and friend's lives. Get the damned shots.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Wasn’t even intending to post this as a response to the above but this graph is pretty clear about the efficacy I think.
Even if you put the deaths a couple weeks behind cases, which you should, there ought to be some more clear spiking by now based on previous waves. Seems like it’s doing the job.