Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardinalkarp wrote:
March 29 22, 3:02 pm
While BA.2 appears to be more transmissible than BA.1 and is gaining ground in the U.S., it has not interrupted the country’s downward trend in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. “So right now in the United States, case rates are still falling, despite an increased predominance of BA.2 compared to BA.1,” said Dr. Lucy McBride, a Yahoo News medical contributor. “Because of widespread vaccinations and because people do have some immunity from past infections … we are seeing fewer deaths, hospitalizations, and overall we're doing much better than we were even a month ago.”
Add in the fact that no one is tracking anything anymore and whaddya know, COVID doesn’t even look like it’s a thing anymore!

Who knew they would pull a page from the ol’ Trump playbook, stop looking for COVID and there won’t be any COVID!!
This is complete [expletive], and absolutely disrespectful to those who have lost lived ones to Covid. I wish those people could have survived if we had just stopped tracking it.

What the hell is wrong with you, man?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Socnorb11 wrote:
March 29 22, 3:07 pm
cardinalkarp wrote:
While BA.2 appears to be more transmissible than BA.1 and is gaining ground in the U.S., it has not interrupted the country’s downward trend in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. “So right now in the United States, case rates are still falling, despite an increased predominance of BA.2 compared to BA.1,” said Dr. Lucy McBride, a Yahoo News medical contributor. “Because of widespread vaccinations and because people do have some immunity from past infections … we are seeing fewer deaths, hospitalizations, and overall we're doing much better than we were even a month ago.”
Add in the fact that no one is tracking anything anymore and whaddya know, COVID doesn’t even look like it’s a thing anymore!

Who knew they would pull a page from the ol’ Trump playbook, stop looking for COVID and there won’t be any COVID!!
This is complete [expletive], and absolutely disrespectful to those who have lost lived ones to Covid. I wish those people could have survived if we had just stopped tracking it.

So saying that they have pretty much stopped tracking COVID cases (which is basically skewing the #’s to say COVID isn’t as prevalent as it likely still is) is somehow disrespecting those who have lost someone to COVID? I’m not seeing the correlation, I feel terrible for those that have lost loved ones due to this disease.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/cov ... ations-us/

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

cardinalkarp wrote:
March 29 22, 3:13 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:

So saying that they have pretty much stopped tracking COVID cases (which is basically skewing the #’s to say COVID isn’t as prevalent as it likely still is) is somehow disrespecting those who have lost someone to COVID? I’m not seeing the correlation, I feel terrible for those that have lost loved ones due to this disease.

Who fed you this link with that narrative? You should probably stop trusting that person and, at minimum read the actual link they sent.

The private COVID tracking project shut down in March 2021. The decision had nothing to do with moving on from COVID in the Omicron world, given that Omricon didn't exist until 9 months after that decision was made. They shut down the private project in 2021 because they believed that the Biden CDC was able to handle the job better. The CDC's COVID data tracking has been kind of mediocre, so maybe that was a mistake, but the CDC data gathering continues to this day and has not been shut down.

Go check for yourself, and please, please take the time to at least make a cursory effort to actually scrutinize the claims people keep feeding you before passing them on as truth:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ailydeaths

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Arthur Dent wrote:
March 29 22, 3:49 pm
cardinalkarp wrote:
March 29 22, 3:13 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:

Who fed you this link with that narrative? You should probably stop trusting that person and, at minimum read the actual link they sent.

The private COVID tracking project shut down in March 2021. The decision had nothing to do with moving on from COVID in the Omicron world, given that Omricon didn't exist until 9 months after that decision was made. They shut down the private project in 2021 because they believed that the Biden CDC was able to handle the job better. The CDC's COVID data tracking has been kind of mediocre, so maybe that was a mistake, but the CDC data gathering continues to this day and has not been shut down.

Go check for yourself, and please, please take the time to at least make a cursory effort to actually scrutinize the claims people keep feeding you before passing them on as truth:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ailydeaths
No one is “feeding” me that information, I made a mistake. So I definitely take fault for that. But agreed, the CDC’s tracking has not been very good.

And I was in no way trying to disrespect anyone who has lost someone they cared about to COVID.

I honestly feel this whole thing has been handled in a disastrous fashion, and I’m not happy about it.

While I provided a really [expletive] link, I’m not 100% off base here…they are becoming more relaxed on reporting.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00788-y

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Serious question, on the topic of tracking: With the increased prevalence of in-home testing, what should people be doing with those results (on the macro-scale)? Should they voluntarily report those to the CDC, or (gasp) be required to? Either way, how is a quality test result ensured, so that any reported data (voluntary or required) is not garbage and hence skewing results?

I'm in agreement with some of the others who have previously stated wastewater testing should continue, as it is a better snapshot of community spread. It's not very granular (pun intended!) data, but it's better than nothing.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

You, unprompted, randomly happened to visit a defunct COVID hospitalization tracking website that hadn't been updated in over a year and just now noticed it wasn't being updated?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

This is just evidence that we should question any and all data coming from the CDC.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/202202 ... id-19-data

As well as mikechamp’s question. Because the prevalence of at home testing, it’s very very hard to get accurate data on the prevalence of COVID (not saying the CDC is at fault here), but to paste things saying that COVID rates are very very low could be a misleading statistic.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

mikechamp wrote:
March 29 22, 4:04 pm
Serious question, on the topic of tracking: With the increased prevalence of in-home testing, what should people be doing with those results (on the macro-scale)? Should they voluntarily report those to the CDC, or (gasp) be required to? Either way, how is a quality test result ensured, so that any reported data (voluntary or required) is not garbage and hence skewing results?

I'm in agreement with some of the others who have previously stated wastewater testing should continue, as it is a better snapshot of community spread. It's not very granular (pun intended!) data, but it's better than nothing.
I think the best we'll be able to do is wastewater monitoring and hospital/ICU availability.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Arthur Dent wrote:
March 29 22, 4:06 pm
You, unprompted, randomly happened to visit a defunct COVID hospitalization tracking website that hadn't been updated in over a year and just now noticed it wasn't being updated?
I actually looked for articles about the lack of COVID hospitalization tracking and that came up….so yes, and yes I screwed up by not realizing that was from 2021….apparently I lost a year in this madness.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

mikechamp wrote:
March 29 22, 4:04 pm

I actually signed up for the app that was advertised with the one at home COVID test kit I used, and it had me enter my results, which I presume somehow made it to these data gatherers. I doubt very many people are doing that consistently nor does that really make sense.

On an ongoing basis, we're going to have to do tracking with surveillance based estimates like is done with flu rather than trying to test every case, which we never came close to doing, and definitely does not make sense to try to attempt now.