Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardinalkarp wrote:
March 29 22, 3:13 pm

So saying that they have pretty much stopped tracking COVID cases (which is basically skewing the #’s to say COVID isn’t as prevalent as it likely still is) is somehow disrespecting those who have lost someone to COVID? I’m not seeing the correlation, I feel terrible for those that have lost loved ones due to this disease.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/cov ... ations-us/

You literally said (or at the very least implied) that if we had done what Trump suggested (not track Covid), then it would have made Covid go away.

Maybe that's not what you meant, or maybe you were being sarcastic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt I guess, but you really need to take a step back from this and consider what you're posting before you post it.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Socnorb11 wrote:
March 29 22, 4:13 pm
cardinalkarp wrote:
March 29 22, 3:13 pm

So saying that they have pretty much stopped tracking COVID cases (which is basically skewing the #’s to say COVID isn’t as prevalent as it likely still is) is somehow disrespecting those who have lost someone to COVID? I’m not seeing the correlation, I feel terrible for those that have lost loved ones due to this disease.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/cov ... ations-us/

You literally said (or at the very least implied) that if we had done what Trump suggested (not track Covid), then it would have made Covid go away.

Maybe that's not what you meant, or maybe you were being sarcastic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt I guess, but you really need to take a step back from this and consider what you're posting before you post it.
Yes, there was sarcasm in that statement and if it came off insensitive, I apologize.

But that still doesn’t take away the fact that they have/are doing an awful job with the transparency and accuracy of the data.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Remember when I mentioned they are starting to scale back the tracking of COVID hospitalizations so it looks like it’s not nearly as prevalent as it might be and got blasted? Yeah, so here we go….

https://newhampshirebulletin.com/2022/ ... lizations/
In an announcement Tuesday, the Department of Health and Human Services said it had redefined COVID-19 hospitalization to include only patients being treated with remdesivir or dexamethasone, drugs used for hospitalized patients with moderate to severe illness. Those hospitalized with milder symptoms or primarily for another cause are no longer included – even if they continue to take up a hospital bed because they are too ill to be discharged.
So while I do think it’s good they are no longer including those hospitalized primarily for another reason and tested positive for COVID (that was a bunk inflation of #’s all along, but of course the motive behind that was to scare people into getting vaccinated), now the only way they are counting a COVID hospitalization is if they put you on remdesivir or dexamethasone….that’s equally as misleading.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

if counting the people in the hospital who test positive for the virus is misleading, and counting the people getting treatment that signifies covid is their primary problem is also misleading, what is supposed to be counted

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
April 9 22, 3:42 pm
if counting the people in the hospital who test positive for the virus is misleading, and counting the people getting treatment that signifies covid is their primary problem is also misleading, what is supposed to be counted
I’m not following what you’re saying. Counting EVERY case (even if they didn’t go there because of COVID) = inflating numbers; counting ONLY cases that involve patients on remdesivir or dexamethasone = deflating numbers.

How about counting ALL cases in the hospital FOR COVID.

Is that more clear?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

cardinalkarp wrote:
April 9 22, 4:32 pm
How about counting ALL cases in the hospital FOR COVID.

Is that more clear?
What would the criteria for that look like? We’re saying that presence of the virus isn’t right, which I understand on some level because not every hospitalized positive is hospitalized for covid. And we’re also saying that the treatment that is unmistakably for Covid compared to other similar problems or symptoms isn’t right, which I understand since Covid can cause problems of lesser severity or may not be treated with those medications for various reasons. But in order to have worthwhile reporting we do have to have some agreed upon criteria, and a means to report on that criteria across many different systems. So if we acknowledge both of those options can be an unsatisfactory answer to “how many covid hospitalizations are there” even if they might technically be accurate, we need an answer that’s better. Is it “positive test plus treatment for respiratory symptom X”? Is that or your preferred definition significantly different in practice than both of the previous definitions, and do the organizations involved have the capability to easily and consistently apply and report on that definition?

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... on-anxiety

Viral inflammation may cause depression and fatigue in covid patients.

I'm just posting this because I'm still struggling with this. Especially the fatigue. It's crazy. It makes me feel crazy. I think to myself it's all in my head and I just have to power through but I will seriously get so tired I just want to drop. I don't know if anyone else is dealing with this but hopefully this helps you not blame yourself like I do.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Feeling for you IMA. I hope you can start approaching normal again soon. Ugh

kriptopoulin
Meatloaf Aficionado

Post by kriptopoulin »

is corona virus is dead or alive ?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn