Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Re: Coronavirus

Post by TGantz »

In the past two months my household has had RSV, Flu A, and we just finished our first time with Covid. Each one knocked us on our ass. I went three years without Covid, even with directly supporting Covid+ patients with personal care. Super bad cold for two days and then vanished as quickly as it appeared.

Hopefully my family has some immunity built up now, but damn. It's been a rough couple months.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

TG - our household has been very similar. We've had the flu and covid since Thanksgiving.

I have broken ribs right now as well so that sucks too. I am motivated to get healthier once I'm healed.

TGantz

Post by TGantz »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
January 9 23, 2:06 pm
TG - our household has been very similar. We've had the flu and covid since Thanksgiving.

I have broken ribs right now as well so that sucks too. I am motivated to get healthier once I'm healed.
That does suck. Lots of promises made to myself to live a healthier lifestyle once I recovered as well. Between my wife and I working directly with people, and my daughter being in daycare, I feel like it's inevitable that we catch everything going around.

We were sick enough of all of it we started looking at moving more rurally and changing career paths. Feels like the human services field is just a big petri dish these days. Of course that thought didn't last long, and I'm back at work. But when you're going through the worst of a virus the mind tends to wander.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

TGantz wrote:
January 9 23, 5:36 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote:

That does suck. Lots of promises made to myself to live a healthier lifestyle once I recovered as well. Between my wife and I working directly with people, and my daughter being in daycare, I feel like it's inevitable that we catch everything going around.

We were sick enough of all of it we started looking at moving more rurally and changing career paths. Feels like the human services field is just a big petri dish these days. Of course that thought didn't last long, and I'm back at work. But when you're going through the worst of a virus the mind tends to wander.
Our family got hit by croup right around Christmas. It's kinda like RSV, and it kept my 8 year old daughter out of action for a full week.

Somehow, at this point, my wife and daughter have still not had covid. And they've been all of the same places the rest of us have! I'm hoping the new sub-variant doesn't get them. We just got back from a trip to San Diego, and wore masks on the plane. Btw, a recent study showed that 96% of flights had someone with Covid on 'em according to wastewater study.

TGantz

Post by TGantz »

heyzeus wrote:
January 10 23, 9:55 am
TGantz wrote:
January 9 23, 5:36 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote:

Our family got hit by croup right around Christmas. It's kinda like RSV, and it kept my 8 year old daughter out of action for a full week.

Somehow, at this point, my wife and daughter have still not had covid. And they've been all of the same places the rest of us have! I'm hoping the new sub-variant doesn't get them. We just got back from a trip to San Diego, and wore masks on the plane. Btw, a recent study showed that 96% of flights had someone with Covid on 'em according to wastewater study.
My daughter had croup about a year ago. That cough is terrifying. Back then you had to wait in a parking lot for pediatric urgent care, then talk to a nurse over the phone for them to advise whether to come in or not. The nurse asked to hear her breathing through the phone, which is of course ridiculous but I get they were trying to be safe. She said it sounds labored and sent us to ER. We sat at Childrens for hours for them to say it was Croup and sent us home with meds. Still scary!

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

We both work from home but my oldest is in high school, on the dance team and works retail so she's exposed to everything. My youngest is in pre-school and licks and puts everything in her mouth so there's that.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Everyone I know who has young kids has also had the worst illness winter of their lives so far. It seems like all the covid+flu = scary winter warnings we got the last couple of years actually came true this year.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

thrill wrote:
January 10 23, 11:57 am
Everyone I know who has young kids has also had the worst illness winter of their lives so far. It seems like all the covid+flu = scary winter warnings we got the last couple of years actually came true this year.
We get the 4 and 2 year old grandkids every weekend. It seems like one or the other has something every week. Nothing major yet.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

@heyzeus & @TGantz: I'm glad your families both got through croup ok.

About 20 years back, we had a neighbor who lost their oldest daughter to croup. I think she was 6 or 7 at the time.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

mikechamp wrote:
January 10 23, 12:54 pm
@heyzeus & @TGantz: I'm glad your families both got through croup ok.

About 20 years back, we had a neighbor who lost their oldest daughter to croup. I think she was 6 or 7 at the time.
Well now that's terrifying, and I'm glad I didn't know that when Zeus Jr. Jr. was still sick. It's a pretty nasty respiratory virus.