Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

The last quote (included below) is exquisite, understated British humor.
Snake used as face mask on bus

A man boarded a bus using a snake as a face covering. The commuter and his reptilian mask, which was wrapped around his neck and mouth, were seen on a bus from Swinton to Manchester on Monday. One passenger, said she thought the passenger was wearing a "funky mask" until she spotted it slithering over hand rails.

Transport bosses in Greater Manchester confirmed a snake was not a valid face covering. A Transport for Greater Manchester spokesperson said: "Government guidance clearly states that this needn't be a surgical mask, and that passengers can make their own or wear something suitable, such as a scarf or bandana. While there is a small degree of interpretation that can be applied to this, we do not believe it extends to the use of snakeskin - especially when still attached to the snake."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-54163293

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -children/
The coronavirus is killing Hispanic, Black and American Indian children at much higher numbers than their White peers, according to federal statistics released Tuesday.

The numbers — the most comprehensive U.S. accounting to date of pediatric infections and fatalities — show there have been 391,814 known cases and 121 deaths among people under the age of 21 from February to July.

Of those killed by covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, more than 75 percent have been Hispanic, Black and American Indian children, even though they represent 41 percent of the U.S. population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The federal agency collected data from health departments throughout the country.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I know it's not the point of the article, but that's an incredibly low death rate in that age category.

0.000308%

Wow.

(Caveat: unknown long-term effects)

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

So the Bike Death Rally:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-check-p ... 41092.html
As of Sept. 8, the South Dakota Department of Health reported 124 cases among South Dakota residents who got sick after attending the rally, the Argus Leader reported. State health officials have tracked those cases through contact tracing.

The Associated Press reported that at least 290 people in 12 states have also tested positive since attending the rally.

One person has died so far from COVID-19 who attended the rally, a Minnesota man in his 60s with underlying health conditions, Minnesota Department of Health Infectious Disease Director Kris Ehresmann said at a briefing on Sept. 9.
Even if the number so far is say 1,000, which is higher than actual so far, that would still be 259,000 short of the estimated 260,000. I wonder why no one trusts the news.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The vaccine stuff is already, probably always was, political which is unfrotunate.

As I see it, there are 3 questions ignoring all the political/timeline stuff. What % of people will take it. What % effective will it be. And, how will that relate to slowing/eradicating the virus?

I don't have any answers but obviously the 3rd question is a product of the first two, and I see a lot of skepticism already.

Another question that has a lot of consequences for lack of a better work is will schools require it? Regardless of the answer, that question may tear the Us of A apart even more than it already is.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
September 18 20, 8:44 am
The vaccine stuff is already, probably always was, political which is unfrotunate.

As I see it, there are 3 questions ignoring all the political/timeline stuff. What % of people will take it. What % effective will it be. And, how will that relate to slowing/eradicating the virus?

I don't have any answers but obviously the 3rd question is a product of the first two, and I see a lot of skepticism already.

Another question that has a lot of consequences for lack of a better work is will schools require it? Regardless of the answer, that question may tear the Us of A apart even more than it already is.
I will say that normally, I would be prepared to get the vaccine. However if something gets rushed out over the next month, there's no way in hell I'm getting it.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

My wife's uncle was as much of a "Covid denier" as you'll ever meet. He and his brothers, friends, etc., mostly and elderly group (60's). go to a well-attended church out in the country, in Illinois. When there were restrictions specifically against gatherings at church, their church decided that they would continue to meet "secretly". No masks, no distancing................ it's all just nonsense anyway. They can't take our freedoms.

Today, several people from that church are infected. My wife's uncle may or may not live. We're not sure. Either way, he's incredibly sick right now. She was able to talk to him today. He admits that he was dead wrong. Churches should have been closed. Ya' think?

This thing ain't no joke.