Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 21 20, 10:44 am
The guy in our office that got it about a month ago, maybe 2 months ago and was asymptomatic went to mexico, then California, then back home, had surgery and now has a pretty severe case. He went to the hospital thinking he was having complications from surgery, they tested him for covid and bam he was positive.

At the time, I thought he had said he had tested positive for antibodies as well. But, apparently that was not the case so *nervous laughter* hopefully he had a false positive the first go around. One thing is for certain, he has covid now.

So, uh, lesson learned, don't rely on a positive test to think you're invincible.
So are you saying that I could get sick like more than a month from now? I was tested positive 2 weeks ago but have had no symptoms. It is quite possible I had it as long as three weeks ago. But I have been 'released' by the state and am back at work. But since I never did get sick, now I'm worried it is still coming.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Leroy wrote:
December 23 20, 8:14 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 21 20, 10:44 am
The guy in our office that got it about a month ago, maybe 2 months ago and was asymptomatic went to mexico, then California, then back home, had surgery and now has a pretty severe case. He went to the hospital thinking he was having complications from surgery, they tested him for covid and bam he was positive.

At the time, I thought he had said he had tested positive for antibodies as well. But, apparently that was not the case so *nervous laughter* hopefully he had a false positive the first go around. One thing is for certain, he has covid now.

So, uh, lesson learned, don't rely on a positive test to think you're invincible.
So are you saying that I could get sick like more than a month from now? I was tested positive 2 weeks ago but have had no symptoms. It is quite possible I had it as long as three weeks ago. But I have been 'released' by the state and am back at work. But since I never did get sick, now I'm worried it is still coming.
I guess the the only answer is, no one knows with 100% certainty.

But, below is a list of the possible scenarios in decreasing likelihood (in my opinion only):
1. He tested positive back in idk September or October, a while ago, and it was a false positive (ie, he never had covid and never produced antibodies or an immune response). He thought he was invincible and then caught Covid for the first time and became sick.

2. He tested positive back in September or October and had no symptoms (perhaps because he was inoculated/infected with a miniscule dose). His body's innate arm of the immune system killed the virus quickly, the adaptive arm of the immune system produced no antibodies/immune response, and he experienced no symptoms. Then, he was re-infected a couple weeks ago only with a larger inoculation, his body didn't know what to do and he got sick this time.

3. He was infected back in September/October, had no symptoms, the virus lay dormant in his body for months without the body fighting it or having an immune response and for some reason the virus is only now affecting him. Remember he was PCR negative prior to surgery when returning from California a couple weeks ago.

I have no idea what happened, but I think the most prudent advice for you, or anyone that has been infected, would be to continue vigilance (masks/wash hands/distance/ventilation) and worry as little as possible. In order to perhaps quell any anxiety, I would offer there is ZERO evidence that #3 is even possible, #2 has little evidence if any that it is possible though from a biological perspective it is more feasible than #3, and PCR tests return false positives a non-zero, though close, percentage of the time. Given there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of tests administered across America daily, non-zero all but guarantees there are some false positives out there. And if you get a false-positive and think it means you're immune, you'll likely find out sooner or later that may not be the case.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Yeah, I guess. I'm pretty sure I'm not a false positive though, because my wife was positive and had the whole taste/smell thing with other symptoms.

I mean it isn't like we are making out all day, but we do live in the same house.

I'm still going to be careful, even though I'm a little frustrated that doing that didn't really help before.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Leroy wrote:
December 23 20, 10:35 am
Yeah, I guess. I'm pretty sure I'm not a false positive though, because my wife was positive and had the whole taste/smell thing with other symptoms.

I mean it isn't like we are making out all day, but we do live in the same house.

I'm still going to be careful, even though I'm a little frustrated that doing that didn't really help before.
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you had a false positive, it's highly likely you got it, probably 99.99%+ likely. Just suggesting of all the possibilities, it's most likely the guy I work with did.

That said, I wouldn't be too frustrated. It's possible the care you took prevented more serious disease. I think there is pretty credible evidence, been a while since I looked into it so don't quote me, that the dose of virus received is proportional to severity.

If you don't believe China killed the 30 someodd year old doctor that spilled the beans about coronavirus in the first place, you could point to the fact he was an ophthalmologist iirc and up in everybodys grill while looking at their eyes as anecdotal evidence.

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 23 20, 11:14 am
Leroy wrote:
December 23 20, 10:35 am

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you had a false positive, it's highly likely you got it, probably 99.99%+ likely. Just suggesting of all the possibilities, it's most likely the guy I work with did.

That said, I wouldn't be too frustrated. It's possible the care you took prevented more serious disease. I think there is pretty credible evidence, been a while since I looked into it so don't quote me, that the dose of virus received is proportional to severity.

If you don't believe China killed the 30 someodd year old doctor that spilled the beans about coronavirus in the first place, you could point to the fact he was an ophthalmologist iirc and up in everybodys grill while looking at their eyes as anecdotal evidence.
I agree with the initial viral load being proportional to the severity. Lots of the mask studies have found that masks may not completely protect you from acquiring the virus entirely, it pretty clearly reduces the severity of infection for those that mask vs. those that don't.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

That's a good point about the amount of virus I did get. There are so many mixed feelings that I didn't have before I did get it.
Relief - glad it was not worse
Shame - what stupid act made me get it
Trepidation - still waiting for the shoe to drop
Guilt - why did it do nothing to me and just wipe out others

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I havee a friend, healthy 28 year old guy, get vaccinated on Wednesday. Thursday he said he was pretty tired, fever, etc. His wife was feeling it as well, which is odd since she didn't get vaccinated. They got rapid tested on Saturday and were both positive. So, he got infected then got vaccinated probably a day or so later in essence giving him a double dose of the virus, lol. They're fine now except he has lost his sense of taste and smell. But what are the odds?!

Before anyone says it, the timing would not lend itself to her being symptomatic if the infection came from the vaccine and from all accounts, it's not possible to spread the virus from a vaccination. Further, I don't think vaccinations result in positive test results. Appears to truly be just a coincidence.

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 28 20, 8:28 am
I havee a friend, healthy 28 year old guy, get vaccinated on Wednesday. Thursday he said he was pretty tired, fever, etc. His wife was feeling it as well, which is odd since she didn't get vaccinated. They got rapid tested on Saturday and were both positive. So, he got infected then got vaccinated probably a day or so later in essence giving him a double dose of the virus, lol. They're fine now except he has lost his sense of taste and smell. But what are the odds?!

Before anyone says it, the timing would not lend itself to her being symptomatic if the infection came from the vaccine and from all accounts, it's not possible to spread the virus from a vaccination. Further, I don't think vaccinations result in positive test results. Appears to truly be just a coincidence.
Yeah. To my knowledge, it is impossible for the vaccine to become full blown virus and replicate. It is only one component of the virus.

ETA: If this were possible, you would have seen it happen in the trials.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/28/95088629 ... resurgence

Tampa at their pro sports zenith - with WS team, NHL champs, Bucs competitive, Host of the SB, even the Toronto raptors down there for now - and no real boon to economy etc due to covid.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Haven't paid much attention to the vaccine rollout but did see they were 1. having issues and 2. looking at halving the dose to be able to double the amount. Don't have much of a comment on that.

Mrs. AW is back to full time caring for covid patients of which there are a lot in our neck of the woods right now. They're not having issues keeping the hospital fully staffed, but it is definitely straining them. Mrs. AW is back to working nights one/two weeks a month. They're pulling staff from wherever they can find them. Arkansas has the most amount of hospitalizations due to covid they've yet seen.

Both my parents tested positive this week and seem to be doing alright. Looking at my immediate family including in-laws (parents, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews) 13 of the 20 have/have had it. There was a situation where my wifes dad/step mom travelled for thanksgiving to their son's (my bil) house. The sons wife's mom (no idea what that makes her to me) was a non-believer in covid and came over for thanksgiving coughing up a storm not wearing a mask. My fil was like, uh, yo. We came here to visit, have no hotel room, and the son's MIL is spreading covid all over. Turns out, everyone got it. But, the MIL never did get tested. So, she has officially never had it. What an idiot.