Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Coronavirus

Post by GeddyWrox »

mikechamp wrote:
January 14 21, 3:05 pm
But I thought as soon as you got the first dose, an invisible force field encircled you immediately and repelled all viruses and illnesses.

This vaccine is such a crock.
Worst vaccine EVERRRRRRRRR. Would not recommend. 0/10

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Some more info on the new variant of the virus that originated in Great Britain.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... perts-warn

Bedford expects that percentage to rise quickly. In England, B.1.1.7 took about three month to take over and become the dominant strain in the outbreak. Scientists believed the variant first emerged in September. By December, it had become the dominant version in London.

"So I roughly expect a similar timeline of three months, from the variant's initial arrival in the U.S. in December to starting to dominate the virus population around March," Bedford said.
Right now scientists don't believe the new variant is more deadly. But its increased transmissibility could, in the end, be even more dangerous, resulting in a much higher number of deaths, says Hodcroft.

"Perhaps counterintuitively, I think that increased transmissibility is probably the worst of these two scenarios, because if something is more transmissible, then you just get it into a larger population," she says.

One study suggests a person sick with the older version of the virus infects about 10% of their contacts, while a person sick with the new variant infects about 15%. So the new variant increases the transmissibility by about 50%.

To understand the impact of that, remember, viruses spread exponentially. Case numbers grow faster and faster. They accelerate.

"If you then crank that exponential growth up to a steeper curve, you very quickly start infecting many, many, many more people than you would have beforehand," Hodcroft says. "And even though the percentage of people that end up in hospital or dying stays the same, a small percent of a big number is a big number."

Small increases in infectiousness cause outbreaks to grow much more rapidly-- and to much larger numbers. During the fall surge, each infected person infected about 1.3 other people, on average, Bedford says. Studies suggest the new variant raises this value by about 0.5, so that each sick person could infect 1.8 people, on average.
The U.S. needs to be thinking about how to minimize damage from this new variant, right now, Hodcroft says. "This is our early warning. Because by the time you have something spreading exponentially in your country, it is much harder to get it under control."

What needs to be done will be different for each community. Activities that seemed relatively safe before — like outdoor dining --- might not be as safe with the new version of the virus.

Communities should start thinking about acquiring better masks or suggesting to people ways they can improve their masks.

Cities and states can ramp up testing and contact tracing. They can start contact tracing the variant to try and slow down its spread. And finally, the entire country needs to focus on vaccinating people as quickly as possible.

Otherwise Bedford says, in March we will likely see another wave of the virus.

"I was expecting that by around March, things would be getting decently under control in the United States," he says, because the weather would warm up and more people would be immune, through the vaccine or natural exposure.

"Those factors will bring the previous version of the virus under control," he says, but not the new variant. "My expectation now is that we end up with a spring wave of this new variant virus."

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

exercise with and after covid

https://www.wired.com/story/if-youve-ju ... d-for-you/

be careful.

Btw, my teenage daughter tested positive. awaiting results on rest of house but quarantining and symptomatic. baby Granddaughter tested negative, but probably false too early.

so been reading around, primarily about infant transmission to/fro because we are village raising this kid - step daughter is single. its crazy to not find info that is less than 6 months old. my daughter who is positive feeling fatiqued. bummer as she was ramping up her exercise and running in hopes of doing cross-country. strenuous exercise can be sketchy for the heart.

I used to be strenuous excercise multiple times per week. but as luck would have it, in covid I embraced slow and easy and paddling etc. its better for me physically and mentally. all stress is stress. so in a stressfilled era, i choose to make exercise an outlet and stress free.

Anyways, that paragraph makes it sound like my priority of concerns are out of whack. Nope. We have the worries and logistics issues galore.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sorry to hear freed. Hope y’all stay healthy and the kids get feeling better.

FWIW, I don’t know that there’s much info out there about teenagers but I’d imagine what’s true of adults is true for them as well.

Anecdotally, I know of two infants that got it. One was Mary a whimper and the other obviously didn’t feel well, ran fever, etc for a couple days.

I also don’t have anything to offer re:transmission from kids. There’s probably data that suggests school age children are less likely to transmit but iirc the thought was they were less likely to be coughing/sneezing.

Six months olds may/may not cough and sneeze, but they are gonna cry and scream which is probably not much different. Good luck getting through everything.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The good news is that the science says your granddaughter and daughter are extremely low risk of mortality and in the case of your granddaughter, getting it this young will probably create an immune response that turns covid into a similar risk for future mortality as the common cold.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The next phase of NH vaccine rollout begins on Jan 26 to March and we qualify for it (65+). We can register through state website starting next Thursday. While thankful and will definitely take advantage of it, I’m not happy that teachers aren’t included until the next phase planned for March to May. That’s too late in the school year. We could stay safe for a couple more months much easier than those on the frontlines like our kids’ educators.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Radbird wrote:
January 15 21, 9:33 am
The next phase of NH vaccine rollout begins on Jan 26 to March and we qualify for it (65+). We can register through state website starting next Thursday. While thankful and will definitely take advantage of it, I’m not happy that teachers aren’t included until the next phase planned for March to May. That’s too late in the school year. We could stay safe for a couple more months much easier than those on the frontlines like our kids’ educators.
We are getting shots today because of our daughter being in a high risk group (Down Syndrome) I was surprised to hear that because there was talk earlier of people with special needs being put in lower pools because of, well, their special needs. I guess other voices won out here in Oregon.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arkansas' rollout has been a [expletive] show from what little I've seen.

Walgreens and CVS have a ton of vaccines just sitting around. I think they have received about 50k doses and administered about 5K of them. They're supposed to be getting them to the long term care facilities...so that's not good.

The state/hospitals/etc have received about 250K doses and given out about 120K of them which comparatively isn't bad, but also...that's not good.

So, they went ahead and opened up Phase 1-B which includes teachers and people 70 and older with the hopes, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, that the local pharmacies will be more efficient than the CVS/Walgreens pharmacies.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

you can start filling out forms to get inline in St Louis County. - i can send link if anyone is interested.

FWIW, i fill out forms for a living and am not bothering with the 20 mins or whatever to do them.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 14 21, 1:38 pm
Exactly. Also, no one said the virus was 100% effective.

Virus is 95% effective a week or two after the 2nd dose is given. Hundreds of thousands are starting to get to the point where they're reaching that point of being a week or two past their 2nd dose. Should be expected a few people will still get it.

Anecdotally, my wife has seen a handful of patients that tested positive a couple days after getting the first dose and her friend in dallas noted that she had seen a 'lot' of people testing positive after the first dose. And, I was like...yeah, there's a 'lot' of people being infected overall and tens of thousands are getting their first dose every day between little rock and dallas. So...it should be expected.
I have no clue how things are being explained when the vaccine is being administered, but I can tell you that I think the MSM is doing a piss poor job of explaining that this vaccine is not a cure all and you still have to take the normal precautions as you might still be able to contract/spread COVID.

We have to get used to the fact that general population of the United States is just not that bright. I think they are under the belief that once they get the vaccine they are good to go to not only not get COVID, let alone not be able to spread it. Honestly in the near future I don’t think we’re going to see a decline in the spread as people who get the vaccine (which will reduce symptoms) will go out unprotected and continue to spread the disease.