Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Post by AdmiralKird »

The writers didn't know Guinan had already met Picard in the 19th century in a previous time travel episode. I can't get over this. If you're a writer for a major tv show, the entire room should have watched every episode of that series at the very least to understand the characters places and events. Its inexcusable.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

AdmiralKird wrote:
April 7 22, 9:43 am
The writers didn't know Guinan had already met Picard in the 19th century in a previous time travel episode. I can't get over this. If you're a writer for a major tv show, the entire room should have watched every episode of that series at the very least to understand the characters places and events. Its inexcusable.
Star Trek Picard 2nd season spoiler ahead
[SHOW]
It's not a simple matter of time travel. It's also an alternate reality in which the Federation didn't exist as a body of exploration; therefore Picard & the gang in this timeline never traveled back to the 19th century

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AdmiralKird wrote:
Seriously?

I haven't watched any of season 2, but that's absurd.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
April 7 22, 10:04 am
AdmiralKird wrote:
Seriously?

I haven't watched any of season 2, but that's absurd.
I feel like my spoiler above gives a rational explanation but it's also a spoiler.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

That explanation doesn't fit how time travel works in Star Trek. If a timeline has an event where people in the year 2500 visit 2000 AD, and a change occurs to the timeline in 2100, preventing the people from 2500 ever existing, the year 2000 events had already occurred on that branch of time where the alteration takes place and they still must exist for that alteration to take place. The people from 2500 still technically exist on an overwritten branch of the timeline to influence the current one. This stuff also happens in things like E^2 in Enterprise and how the Xindi think there is more than one Earth ship in the Expanse even though the alternate Enterprise was wiped out. Sela's existence in TNG - even though the events of the Klingon-Federation war never took place now, Tasha Yar's daughter is able to exist.
[SHOW]
Furthermore, Picard brings stuff up from prior episodes whenever he remembers it, even if remembering Gary Seven isn't key to the story. If the intent by the writers was to say the timeline was wiped, he should have at least brought up that Guinan she should remember him because he met her with Mark Twain a hundred years ago. Then he could either stop himself slowly and say "of course that couldn't happen now because that future we came from no longer exists..." Since they didn't include it they don't know it, plain and simple. Even the actress who plays young Guinan knew of the episode because she was a Star Trek fan:
So Aghayere said she asked executive producer and showrunner Terry Matalas about why Guinan wouldn’t recognize Picard in 2024 if she’d met him so memorably in 1893.

“I think what Terry does in terms of storytelling when it comes to time travel is just brilliant,” she said at first with a smile. “I don’t think he ever got me a clear answer on it. And I think…” She paused for a long time. “I never will.”

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/star-t ... 235213292/
They didn't know about it when they wrote or filmed the episodes and now have to make up a reason as to why it is the way it is.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

yeah not trying to troll but RLM is doing reviews on it hah. they seemed somewhat receptive with the 1st episode (the 1st review posted) but the next reviews (2 picard episodes in each review) have kind of broken them and they're pretty baffled. not only with the continuation of modern star trek being big explosions instead of, like, problem solving but also these issues where it seems clear the picard writers have no idea of the history of picard/TNG and maybe even star trek as a whole. i dont watch picard so my only knowledge is coming from RLM and i'm really just watching the RLM reviews for entertainment so im biased but at same time if the RLM guys aren't exaggerating too much than yea these sound like some odd creative decisions.
[SHOW]
Last edited by Jocephus on April 7 22, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

THIS IS WHY TIME TRAVEL TREK SUCKS. Janeway knows. We all know. I do like first contact but that snuck in when I was a kid and didn’t care about continuity.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

AdmiralKird wrote:
April 7 22, 2:15 pm
That explanation doesn't fit how time travel works in Star Trek. If a timeline has an event where people in the year 2500 visit 2000 AD, and a change occurs to the timeline in 2100, preventing the people from 2500 ever existing, the year 2000 events had already occurred on that branch of time where the alteration takes place and they still must exist for that alteration to take place. The people from 2500 still technically exist on an overwritten branch of the timeline to influence the current one. This stuff also happens in things like E^2 in Enterprise and how the Xindi think there is more than one Earth ship in the Expanse even though the alternate Enterprise was wiped out. Sela's existence in TNG - even though the events of the Klingon-Federation war never took place now, Tasha Yar's daughter is able to exist.
[SHOW]
Furthermore, Picard brings stuff up from prior episodes whenever he remembers it, even if remembering Gary Seven isn't key to the story. If the intent by the writers was to say the timeline was wiped, he should have at least brought up that Guinan she should remember him because he met her with Mark Twain a hundred years ago. Then he could either stop himself slowly and say "of course that couldn't happen now because that future we came from no longer exists..." Since they didn't include it they don't know it, plain and simple. Even the actress who plays young Guinan knew of the episode because she was a Star Trek fan:
So Aghayere said she asked executive producer and showrunner Terry Matalas about why Guinan wouldn’t recognize Picard in 2024 if she’d met him so memorably in 1893.

“I think what Terry does in terms of storytelling when it comes to time travel is just brilliant,” she said at first with a smile. “I don’t think he ever got me a clear answer on it. And I think…” She paused for a long time. “I never will.”

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/star-t ... 235213292/
They didn't know about it when they wrote or filmed the episodes and now have to make up a reason as to why it is the way it is.

Sure but we're not just talking about time travel.
[SHOW]
Remember in Picard's present the timeline was altered. Q altered it by going back to 2024 so the events that we know as happening in the 24th century, namely Picard traveling back to the 19th century, were affected by the divergent timeline that sprang up from 2024. Picard has traveled back to try and restore that timeline. Picard and his crew have knowledge of the changes in the timeline, I suppose because of Q but that is where it gets murky.

The JJ movies/Kelvin timeline worked in this way as well. The Chris Pine led crew were operating in a divergent timeline created by Nero which was similar but different to the one that Shatner's crew lived.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

call 323-634-5667

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »