Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Post by CardsofSTL »

AdmiralKird wrote:
April 22 21, 3:14 pm
I really wish they'd make a new star trek show. It's been 16 years or so since Enterprise and practically every other show has been revived. I can only rewatch TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT so many times.
What about Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, and coming soon Prodigy and Strange New Worlds?

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Lower Decks is okay - it suffers from a lot of "remember [reference]?" and knockoff Rick and Morty jokes that didn't make it, but you'd think they could do a live action show.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

im telling y'all, those dissatisfied with modern trek should watch red letter media's Star Trek videos. probably helps if yer cynical and in late 30s/early 40s

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

I am enjoying For All Mankind on Apple. It gets stuck at times improperly weighing the generic family melodrama but otherwise it makes me think at times and can genuinely make me happy or shocked or awed. Ronald D Moore knows how to make a compelling series.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus wrote:
April 22 21, 3:28 pm
im telling y'all, those dissatisfied with modern trek should watch red letter media's Star Trek videos. probably helps if yer cynical and in late 30s/early 40s
as mentioned, i've shared some star trek reviews from some guys at red letter media. one of those guys, mike (the owner of RLM), has a character called Mr. Plinkett...who...basically, is a deranged old man...BUT...if you can get past that, the reviews are pretty in depth. can't actually expect anyone to watch this as it's 90mins but if you have issues with picard then this review is pretty on point with issues with modern star trek, etc. the review is from spring 2020.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If you don't like the so called modern Trek you need to learn to let the kids play.

Or go back to watching reruns of Star Trek The Animated Series

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL wrote:
April 27 21, 3:27 pm
If you don't like the so called modern Trek you need to learn to let the kids play.

perhaps...but when its in direct conflict of what everything star trek was about, i dunno. i get why people dont resonate with CGI explosions as story.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
April 27 21, 3:31 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
April 27 21, 3:27 pm

perhaps...but when its in direct conflict of what everything star trek was about, i dunno. i get why people dont resonate with CGI explosions as story.
I guess I would argue that there is plenty of story there; doesn't mean it is for everyone and it is certainly a different way of producing a Trek series. I think Strange New Worlds is going to be a throwback series that people who have not gotten into the new series may find appealing. And I hope so; because I love the old Trek too.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Was not expecting the Sarah Silverman circa 1996 two-episode supporting role on Voyager! Kind of reminds you how long a lot of these actors spend in Hollywood before they break through and become household names.