Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Post by AdmiralKird »

G. Keenan wrote:
October 5 21, 2:16 pm
So how do communications in Trek travel faster than warp? They'll be a week away from somewhere at Warp 7 but can communicate with the whole Alpha quadrant in real time? So how are these communications going faster than light? Is it that they are sent via "subspace" and therefore operate under different rules of physics?

My favorite is when they are traveling somewhere at warp speed and then need to send a message ahead which gets there faster than the ship that just sent it.
There's no limit to warp speed / warp communication like there is with the speed of light IRL. So long as you're able to propel that message through subspace it can arrive practically instantaneously.

Star Trek does have a "warp limit" of warp ten, but warp ten is just the name for when warp speed asymptote. Warp 9.99 is like twice as fast as warp 9.98 and such. You can't go warp 10 cuz you can't divide by zero, but you can just keep doubling your speed and getting 9.9999 numbers, repeating, of course.

In universe there is a subspace relay network that operates sort of like a cellphone grid. A starship uses its long-range communicator to link up with the nearest node which then tunnels from node to node until it reaches its destination. In the ST universe it must be easier to send energy through subspace rather than matter.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

AdmiralKird wrote:
November 18 21, 4:53 am
G. Keenan wrote:
So how do communications in Trek travel faster than warp? They'll be a week away from somewhere at Warp 7 but can communicate with the whole Alpha quadrant in real time? So how are these communications going faster than light? Is it that they are sent via "subspace" and therefore operate under different rules of physics?

My favorite is when they are traveling somewhere at warp speed and then need to send a message ahead which gets there faster than the ship that just sent it.
There's no limit to warp speed / warp communication like there is with the speed of light IRL. So long as you're able to propel that message through subspace it can arrive practically instantaneously.

Star Trek does have a "warp limit" of warp ten, but warp ten is just the name for when warp speed asymptote. Warp 9.99 is like twice as fast as warp 9.98 and such. You can't go warp 10 cuz you can't divide by zero, but you can just keep doubling your speed and getting 9.9999 numbers, repeating, of course.

In universe there is a subspace relay network that operates sort of like a cellphone grid. A starship uses its long-range communicator to link up with the nearest node which then tunnels from node to node until it reaches its destination. In the ST universe it must be easier to send energy through subspace rather than matter.
That is some Grade A Treknobabble. I love it.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
November 18 21, 11:38 am
AdmiralKird wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

That is some Grade A Treknobabble. I love it.
++

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AdmiralKird wrote:
Star Trek does have a "warp limit" of warp ten

This guy disagrees.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

A Trek tattoo might be cool; but that one isn't.

But then again I've been to Everett and that place is pretty whack.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
November 22 21, 8:58 am
AdmiralKird wrote:
Star Trek does have a "warp limit" of warp ten

This guy disagrees.
That is amazing.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I like the first and third of these so I’m glad to hear it.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

I'm glad to see they got their contracts settled. Curious if they follow the rumored script for the fourth film that involved Chris Hemsworth returning.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Well this is very strange. It’s wasn’t some schlub announcing this, it was Abrams.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »