Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek

Post by thrill »

G. Keenan wrote:
April 7 21, 10:34 pm
. I mean, the Oceans 11 episode where the entire senior staff pulls off a heist to save Vic's club from his childhood stickball rival from the old neighborhood in Philadelphia? They put that in prime season 7 real estate where there were only like 5 episodes left to wrap everything up, and they do that? Hysterical.
ESPECIALLY when there's 5 eps left. That's so funny. What a choice!

Once Gul Ducat mercs Jadzia Dax, you can't go back to fun time dumb time episodes like this. Stakes are too high. That's the climax of the penultimate season. How do they come back from the big cliff hanger? Captain making gumbo and Ezri Dax getting like 10 starring episodes, just because Rick Berman wants to bang the actress that replaced the actress he killed off because she wouldn't bang him and wanted a second job on a sitcom. Half the final season is fluff.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jesus, I just read about Berman and her. It's just incredible to realize what women have had to put up with.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I am excite

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Post by ghostrunner »

How is Discovery these days? I bailed on the first season, partly because I didn't have access to the episodes anymore at some point, but interest was lagging too.

Wasn't too keen on the new Klingon design either which seemed both unnecessary and unnecessarily heavy in the makeup department.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

ghostrunner wrote:
April 8 21, 2:58 pm
How is Discovery these days? I bailed on the first season, partly because I didn't have access to the episodes anymore at some point, but interest was lagging too.

Wasn't too keen on the new Klingon design either which seemed both unnecessary and unnecessarily heavy in the makeup department.
There's a love it or hate it feeling about the new Klingons...the thing with Discovery is every season builds on the previous season; but also has its own kind of independent storyline. I think season 2 is the best season they have done so far; but season 3 was one of the most inventive new Star Trek seasons for reasons that if I share would be a major spoiler to anyone who has not seen the series.

Minor spoiler
[SHOW]
Season 2 reintroduces us to Captain Pike and a young Mr. Spock on the Enterprise; which is the springboard to the upcoming new series Star Trek Strange New Worlds

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
April 8 21, 7:58 am
G. Keenan wrote:
. I mean, the Oceans 11 episode where the entire senior staff pulls off a heist to save Vic's club from his childhood stickball rival from the old neighborhood in Philadelphia? They put that in prime season 7 real estate where there were only like 5 episodes left to wrap everything up, and they do that? Hysterical.

Once Gul Ducat mercs Jadzia Dax, you can't go back to fun time dumb time episodes like this. Stakes are too high. That's the climax of the penultimate season. How do they come back from the big cliff hanger? Captain making gumbo and Ezri Dax getting like 10 starring episodes, just because Rick Berman wants to bang the actress that replaced the actress he killed off because she wouldn't bang him and wanted a second job on a sitcom. Half the final season is fluff.
You're not wrong.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

G. Keenan wrote:
April 8 21, 3:48 pm
thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

You're not wrong.
Not wrong, but I love the Vic Fontaine stuff, for the music and aesthetics, sure, but also because that’s the only place Nog felt safe after losing his leg in the war, and then everyone else fell in love with it while spending time there to help Nog readjust to life on the station.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
April 8 21, 10:04 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
April 8 21, 3:48 pm
thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

You're not wrong.
Not wrong, but I love the Vic Fontaine stuff, for the music and aesthetics, sure, but also because that’s the only place Nog felt safe after losing his leg in the war, and then everyone else fell in love with it while spending time there to help Nog readjust to life on the station.
Me too, but I can see where thrill is coming from as a sci-fi fan. Having so much "fluff" in the final season didn't bother me because my experience of DS9 was that the fluff is where the show's strengths are. Sure, there's the war with the Dominion, but we all know the Federation is going to prevail in the end.

I'm surprised we didn't get a two-part episode where Julian and Miles get trapped in their Alamo holodeck and have to find a way to win the battle to terminate the program.

Moooooooogie!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »