Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Post by AdmiralKird »

The Season 1 TNG thing is a one-off special situation that gets repeated too much. Discovery and Picard both got worse. Enterprise and Voyager's Season 1's were pretty indicative of the rest of the show. DS9 got better but by no means was bad in Season 1. It was only TNG's first season that had real unique creative problems tearing it apart that shouldn't be expected at all for any other series. To hearken back to it as a predictor for any other Star Trek is silly anymore.

They have the format right, and the tone was mostly there or 2.5 episodes, but the characters - those two mystery box reveals in the last episode were bad warning signs where people unnecessarily put the ship and crew in danger for selfish reasons. At least the characters aren't broken like in Picard, but we're now on a pathway towards an episode with Ortegas doing everything to be the absolute best so she's taking illegal gene modification drugs to improve her reaction time. These are of course developed by nurse chapel, who is secretly going against all starfleet medical regulations because they're holding her and the federation back. Then another episode where the Enterprise is spontaneously jumping to warp without control, eventually revealing the Aenarian engineer has been experimenting with transwarp drive on the side without permission and it got out of hand. I have a concern they will keep giving the crew edgy subplots that make them less likeable by the series end, and despite not doing anything directly to Pike, by extension also making him less likable for running his ship like a zoo. This may all not come to pass but I'm seriously worried after the last one. I have negative faith in the team running this and just hope some episodes they take their hands off the wheel and leave individual story writers to their own devices.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

are the *new* picard characters gone? is picard still an android?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
September 8 22, 3:25 pm
are the *new* picard characters gone? is picard still an android?
Not entirely; though some of their stories came to an end with season 2. Season three is a TNG reunion/farewell tour.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

First two episodes have dropped and they were both pretty good imo.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I'm not much on Star Trek but my wife is, we have been watching Picard and I have to say I'm enjoying it a bunch.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

IMADreamer wrote:
February 27 23, 2:10 pm
I'm not much on Star Trek but my wife is, we have been watching Picard and I have to say I'm enjoying it a bunch.
🫶

AdmiralKird

Post by AdmiralKird »

Epic. There are going to be spoilers all over the internet if you haven't seen the last scene of the new episode.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AdmiralKird wrote:
April 13 23, 2:14 pm
Epic. There are going to be spoilers all over the internet if you haven't seen the last scene of the new episode.
Khan is Kirk's father?

AdmiralKird

Post by AdmiralKird »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
April 13 23, 2:18 pm
AdmiralKird wrote:
April 13 23, 2:14 pm
Khan is Kirk's father?
[SHOW]