Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek

Post by thrill »

Frakes does his best work as director and his best work as an actor when Riker is essentially pre-AIDS era Warren Beatty but in space, seeking to expand his sexual horizons in endless directions.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Picard season ender spoilers.
[SHOW]
Riker showing up to save Picard's arse with a suped up ship and fleet was all kinds of All Good Things. And the director clearly was a Harry Potter fan, with Picard's quasi-death state and Data/Dumbledore talking him through what came next. Plus the mechanical arms coming from the portal to the super synths seemed very Control taking over the Discovery shuttle. Not sayin just sayin.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JCShutout wrote:
March 26 20, 8:51 pm
[SHOW]
Riker showing up to save Picard's arse with a suped up ship and fleet was all kinds of All Good Things. And the director clearly was a Harry Potter fan, with Picard's quasi-death state and Data/Dumbledore talking him through what came next. Plus the mechanical arms coming from the portal to the super synths seemed very Control taking over the Discovery shuttle. Not sayin just sayin.
Agree.
[SHOW]
would have liked to see Riker's fleet in action though. Enjoyed the Seven Narissa fight too. What happens to Narek?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 26 20, 9:18 pm
JCShutout wrote:
[SHOW]
Agree.
[SHOW]
would have liked to see Riker's fleet in action though. Enjoyed the Seven Narissa fight too. What happens to Narek?
[SHOW]
it was a good fight, but seven could have just shot/stunned her at the start. They just wanted a fight scene. Plus, a veteran fighter like seven wouldn’t have gotten close enough to have her pistol knocked away. After removing the throwing knive, she would have backed away quickly... or just stunned her.

We were also wondering what will happen to narek. After the first episode when he mentions losing his brother, I thought Nero (trek 09 reboot movie) might have been his brother, but I think the timeline doesn’t work out for that since he said he lost his brother the previous year, and it was, what, the 10 year anniversary of the star going nova iirc? Of course, narek could have been lying.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JCShutout wrote:
March 27 20, 10:59 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
JCShutout wrote:
[SHOW]
Agree.
[SHOW]
[SHOW]
it was a good fight, but seven could have just shot/stunned her at the start. They just wanted a fight scene. Plus, a veteran fighter like seven wouldn’t have gotten close enough to have her pistol knocked away. After removing the throwing knive, she would have backed away quickly... or just stunned her.

We were also wondering what will happen to narek. After the first episode when he mentions losing his brother, I thought Nero (trek 09 reboot movie) might have been his brother, but I think the timeline doesn’t work out for that since he said he lost his brother the previous year, and it was, what, the 10 year anniversary of the star going nova iirc? Of course, narek could have been lying.
[SHOW]
Yeah Nero being family would have been an interesting twist; but the supernova happened in 2387 and Picard starts in 2399. Season 2 will be our first glimpse into the 25th century it seems. Discovery has jumped up to the 32nd century though. Hopefully they find an old commercial of Riker making a pizza or something so that Frakes can have a cameo in another Trek series. So far he's been in all of them except Disco. (and TOS of course) Directing notwithstanding of course.

I don't disagree with your comments RE the fight but storytelling

I am a little mixed on how they "cured" Picard but I think I will move past that. It kind of makes the case for immortality though doesn't it?
Anytime you are close to death; just upload your brain into a different body. And why didn't they just upload Data into a new body instead of keeping him in a quantum holodeck?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 27 20, 11:17 am
JCShutout wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
JCShutout wrote:
[SHOW]
Agree.
[SHOW]
[SHOW]

[SHOW]
Yeah Nero being family would have been an interesting twist; but the supernova happened in 2387 and Picard starts in 2399. Season 2 will be our first glimpse into the 25th century it seems. Discovery has jumped up to the 32nd century though. Hopefully they find an old commercial of Riker making a pizza or something so that Frakes can have a cameo in another Trek series. So far he's been in all of them except Disco. (and TOS of course) Directing notwithstanding of course.

I am a little mixed on how they "cured" Picard but I think I will move past that. It kind of makes the case for immortality though doesn't it?
Anytime you are close to death; just upload your brain into a different body. And why didn't they just upload Data into a new body instead of keeping him in a quantum holodeck?
[SHOW]
iirc they implied that Maddox was the consciousness/mind expert and Soong was the "body man", and that Maddox was close to completing the procedure, presumably to bring back Data, before leaving-then-dying, and that Jurati (spelling?) completed the work, just in time for JL.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Brent Spiner was against bringing Data back to life, so it probably had more to do with that than anything else. It does connect with Data wanting to be "more human", but one would think Picard-the-character would have a passionate plea for his old friend to wait until a new body could be constructed and come back. Then again, Picard-the-character would respect a friend's wish to explore the new frontier of mortality.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JCShutout wrote:
March 27 20, 3:57 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
March 27 20, 11:17 am
JCShutout wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
JCShutout wrote:
[SHOW]
Agree.
[SHOW]
[SHOW]

[SHOW]

[SHOW]
iirc they implied that Maddox was the consciousness/mind expert and Soong was the "body man", and that Maddox was close to completing the procedure, presumably to bring back Data, before leaving-then-dying, and that Jurati (spelling?) completed the work, just in time for JL.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Brent Spiner was against bringing Data back to life, so it probably had more to do with that than anything else. It does connect with Data wanting to be "more human", but one would think Picard-the-character would have a passionate plea for his old friend to wait until a new body could be constructed and come back. Then again, Picard-the-character would respect a friend's wish to explore the new frontier of mortality.
[SHOW]
They did say that about Maddox; but it still seemed like Picard would have said lets put Data in a new body. After all when he "spoke" to Data he didn't know that was possible; since he had not awoken from his death nap yet.

Brent Spiner said he did not want to undo what had been done. So I think that basically means he didn't want them to do a Marvel change the past scenario and act like the Nemesis movie events never happened. Also in the Ready Room series episode that he was in I think; he mentioned that he knew the fans would have really been let down if they had heard he was offered a chance to reprise the role and turned it down. So I think he might have done it; if the money and situation was right. But I think he prefers doing it the way they did; Data going on to the abyss and maybe playing Soong or something every once in a while. I think the main thing Spiner doesn't want is to work on a series full time; he's past that.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I decided to try out CBS all accesses free month (thanks for the heads up CardsofSTL) because I wanted to checkout Picard. I don't know if I've ever had such mixed feelings on the show. In the beginning I loved the return of Picard and all the fan service. I also really respected their choice to play in to Picard's age and failures. However, somewhere in the middle of the season I started to evaluate the show on its own merits and I can't say I was super impressed. It feels like a melding of the old school hokey charm of star trek with a newer grittier more modern story telling. Unfortunately I don't think it works. I think too many of the characters and acting are way too broadly drawn to match the more modern aesthetics. I also think the show would be better served to compartmentalize the episodes in conjunction with a larger overall narrative. Something like Deep Space Nine or more recently the Mandalorian. That way they could explore more philosophical questions and have more interesting stories.

I also want to say, the script does her no favors but Alison Pill who plays Dr. Agnes Jurati might be one of the most annoying actresses I've ever seen on a TV show. Her constant look of distress and facial ticks were super irritating.

That's not to say I hated the show. I just didn't love it like I wanted to.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Michael wrote:
April 5 20, 11:07 am
I decided to try out CBS all accesses free month (thanks for the heads up CardsofSTL) because I wanted to checkout Picard. I don't know if I've ever had such mixed feelings on the show. In the beginning I loved the return of Picard and all the fan service. I also really respected their choice to play in to Picard's age and failures. However, somewhere in the middle of the season I started to evaluate the show on its own merits and I can't say I was super impressed. It feels like a melding of the old school hokey charm of star trek with a newer grittier more modern story telling. Unfortunately I don't think it works. I think too many of the characters and acting are way too broadly drawn to match the more modern aesthetics. I also think the show would be better served to compartmentalize the episodes in conjunction with a larger overall narrative. Something like Deep Space Nine or more recently the Mandalorian. That way they could explore more philosophical questions and have more interesting stories.

I also want to say, the script does her no favors but Alison Pill who plays Dr. Agnes Jurati might be one of the most annoying actresses I've ever seen on a TV show. Her constant look of distress and facial ticks were super irritating.

That's not to say I hated the show. I just didn't love it like I wanted to.
I think you have had the same reaction as a lot of fans of the TNG series. This series is different; and not necessarily geared just toward the audience (of which I am a part) remembers and loved TNG. This is a more human series; with a lot of faults and not as idealistic as the Trek we grew up on. That being said; I still really enjoyed the series. While they took a couple of zigs were I would have preferred zags; I respect the choices they made in telling the story.

I liked pretty much all of the cast but the hardest one to like is Jurati; she looks half demented at times; but maybe that was the point. Space Legolas though amirite?

Have you watched Discovery? There seems to be a significant tie in to this season of Picard and the last season of Discovery; and perhaps the upcoming season. If you have not; I would suggest giving it a shot while you have the free month still going.

The episodic nature of tv series has started to die off with the advent of streaming services where people like to binge. Essentially you make a 10 part movie split into episodes instead of a 24 episode season.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »