Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

haha...I love how Picard always had to stop Worf from acting a fool.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

CardsofSTL wrote:
April 7 21, 8:07 am
I think it would be cool to see them and maybe Wes Crusher again too
Wil Wheaton is hosting the official after show for Discovery, so he's still in the "family" so to speak, although I'm not sure what canon they would have to fill in regarding his being the Mozart of Warp or his work with the traveler. Probably a can of worms to open, plot-wise.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
April 7 21, 9:22 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
April 7 21, 8:07 am
I think it would be cool to see them and maybe Wes Crusher again too
Wil Wheaton is hosting the official after show for Discovery, so he's still in the "family" so to speak, although I'm not sure what canon they would have to fill in regarding his being the Mozart of Warp or his work with the traveler. Probably a can of worms to open, plot-wise.
I would expect him to be a cameo type appearance at best

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Well, I finished up DS9 last week and I must say, I will remember the series very fondly. Definitely worth watching, and a very different show than TNG in a lot of ways. If you forced me to choose one to take to a desert island it would probably be TNG, but I'd at least have to think about it for a while.

I'd say the big strength of DS9 is the large cast of characters who for the most part all become fully realized by the end of the series. Even Vic from the holo suites (fun sub plot, btw), gets to grow and fill out. That aspect of the show is very well done.

I suppose the war with the Dominion goes on for a little too long. Like, you know it's not going to end with the Dominion winning and subjugating the Federation and the entire Alpha Quadrant, so why drag it out for like half the entire series? They could have fleshed out the stuff about the Pa Wraiths and the wormhole aliens/prophets a bit more. Still, not a big deal and the finale did a pretty good job of tying up the loose ends.

Freakin' Ducat! What a cad.

Oh, and Kai Win going dirty was not a prediction I would have made.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

G. Keenan wrote:
April 7 21, 1:18 pm
Even Vic from the holo suites (fun sub plot, btw), gets to grow and fill out. That aspect of the show is very well done.
So there was never a moment for you where you questioned why the [expletive] people in 2404 are obsessed with a Vegas crooner FROM THE 90'S?! They could've recreated Sinatra. They could've recreated the Vegas lounge act glory days. They went with some rando?

AND THEN they gave Vic significant air time and character development in the home stretch of the war/series. I can't get a single arc dedicated the to the series best performer and character, Major Kira, but I have to put up with MULTIPLE Vic Fontaine episodes? [expletive] Nog processes his PTSD via holodeck hangs with Vic? Not his loving father and hot stepmom? Not with his best friend Jake, who he barely talks to in the final season? Don't get me started on the one weird writer who loved Vic and shoehorned him into major episodes. I love DS9, partly for it's flaws (like all Star Trek) but that production team and writer's room made some truly bizarre decisions that hampered that show's capacity for greatness.

Meanwhile Voyager keeps climbing in my esteem, mostly on the back of one man: The great Bob Picardo.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
April 7 21, 1:28 pm

Meanwhile Voyager keeps climbing in my esteem, mostly on the back of one man: The great Bob Picardo.
How far along into Voyager are you?

The Doctor is probably my favorite character throughout; though I like B'Elanna Torres a lot down the stretch (I started off not caring for her very much).

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

G. Keenan wrote:
Oh, and Kai Win going dirty was not a prediction I would have made.
I knew that she was an evildoer the first time I saw her.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

G. Keenan wrote:
April 7 21, 12:51 pm
It took me a while to warm up to Captain Cisco as well. I agree that he has a weird manner of speaking. He has kind of a sing-song cadence to his voice and talks like he's a stage actor always on the verge of breaking out into song. After a while you just get used to it.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
April 7 21, 1:28 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
Even Vic from the holo suites (fun sub plot, btw), gets to grow and fill out. That aspect of the show is very well done.
So there was never a moment for you where you questioned why the [expletive] people in 2404 are obsessed with a Vegas crooner FROM THE 90'S?! They could've recreated Sinatra. They could've recreated the Vegas lounge act glory days. They went with some rando?

AND THEN they gave Vic significant air time and character development in the home stretch of the war/series. I can't get a single arc dedicated the to the series best performer and character, Major Kira, but I have to put up with MULTIPLE Vic Fontaine episodes? [expletive] Nog processes his PTSD via holodeck hangs with Vic? Not his loving father and hot stepmom? Not with his best friend Jake, who he barely talks to in the final season? Don't get me started on the one weird writer who loved Vic and shoehorned him into major episodes. I love DS9, partly for it's flaws (like all Star Trek) but that production team and writer's room made some truly bizarre decisions that hampered that show's capacity for greatness.

LOL, the show's obsession with Vic is just hilarious to me. I mean, the Oceans 11 episode where the entire senior staff pulls off a heist to save Vic's club from his childhood stickball rival from the old neighborhood in Philadelphia? They put that in prime season 7 real estate where there were only like 5 episodes left to wrap everything up, and they do that? Hysterical. I came to love that quirkiness, especially since I wasn't worried they'd lose the war because Trek isn't that dark, you know?

I haven't seen Voyager or Discovery yet, but I'd say DS9 is much less "sci fi" than TNG. The main thrust of the show becomes the personal friendships and bonds between the characters. Did you ever think you'd learn so much about Quark's mom? Moooooooooooogie!

I never really bought Kira being into Odo, but the actress did a good job of selling it, and it ultimately won the war because by her loving Odo, he was able to prove to the Great Link that solids could be trusted.