Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: Every Year is the Year of Star Trek

Post by AdmiralKird »

CardsofSTL wrote:
April 20 23, 4:31 pm
thrill wrote:
April 20 23, 8:04 am
They're going to try to make a spinoff or continue the Picard series centered around
[SHOW]
his son because Sir Patrick is old as hell and they need to continue to squeeze out the precious TNG IP juice.
Seems that way. I could get behind that. I think Speleers was pretty good.
Watching Kurtzman get asked about Legacy is all you need to know about where Legacy factors into future plans - it doesn't. He wants reporters to ask about their new shows and forget about this idea of more post-TNG era Star Trek. In his mind, they're moving on. It would take more than a few tweets and hashtags and online petitions to get Legacy made.

Kurtzman runs the franchise exactly how CBS executives want, and presumably does it on time and on budget. He diversifies. He takes a niche property and tries to make it super mainstream. He wants to make this teen drama comedy and throw some star trek paint on it and call it "Starfleet Academy." And he wants that Section 31 movie because he wants a spy movie and Section 31 to him is the spy agency. He doesn't want to make something that some people will like, he wants to make something that everyone will buy.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

I haven’t watched since TNG.
My 12 year old who loves astrophysics would be into Star Trek.

What series is a good starting point? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

AdmiralKird wrote:
April 29 23, 2:46 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
April 20 23, 4:31 pm
thrill wrote:
April 20 23, 8:04 am
They're going to try to make a spinoff or continue the Picard series centered around
[SHOW]
his son because Sir Patrick is old as hell and they need to continue to squeeze out the precious TNG IP juice.
Seems that way. I could get behind that. I think Speleers was pretty good.
Watching Kurtzman get asked about Legacy is all you need to know about where Legacy factors into future plans - it doesn't. He wants reporters to ask about their new shows and forget about this idea of more post-TNG era Star Trek. In his mind, they're moving on. It would take more than a few tweets and hashtags and online petitions to get Legacy made.

Kurtzman runs the franchise exactly how CBS executives want, and presumably does it on time and on budget. He diversifies. He takes a niche property and tries to make it super mainstream. He wants to make this teen drama comedy and throw some star trek paint on it and call it "Starfleet Academy." And he wants that Section 31 movie because he wants a spy movie and Section 31 to him is the spy agency. He doesn't want to make something that some people will like, he wants to make something that everyone will buy.
yes yes Kurtzman is the new Sith Lord of the Star Trek universe.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

a_smith wrote:
April 29 23, 7:19 am
I haven’t watched since TNG.
My 12 year old who loves astrophysics would be into Star Trek.

What series is a good starting point? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I actually got a friend interested in Trek because I was babbling about it too much and he started this way:

Watched the Original Series movies starting with Wrath of Khan.

When there wasn't time for a movie he was watching TNG but I suggested that he not try to watch seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety because some of those are pretty dated. He can always go back and watch the complete seasons if he really gets into it. Here's the to watch episode list from seasons 1 & 2 that I suggested to him

SEASON ONE
Encounter at Farpoint (Part 1 & 2)
The Last Outpost
The Battle
Hide and Q
Datalore
Heart of Glory
Skin of Evil
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

SEASON TWO
Where Silence has Lease
Elementary Dear Data
The Outrageous Okona
Loud As A Whisper
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
The Royale
The Icarus Factor
Pen Pals
Q Who
Samaritan Snare
Manhunt
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Shades of Gray

At this point if he is still into it he will be at season 3 and will probably just want to watch the series in order. He can watch all of TNG and then go to DS9; or he can start mixing in DS9 toward the end of season 5 of TNG if he wants. I would just watch them one at a time because even if some of the plot lines overlap they are not essentially reliant on each other. TNG gives some outline background that DS9 delves deeper into in regard to Bajor and the Cardassians; so it is better to be into that before jumping to DS9.

If he doesn't want to look at any of the older Trek series and just wants to jump into the new stuff; might as well start with Discovery and Lower Decks; which can be watched concurrently or one at a time. But I think you'll miss a lot of little stuff if you do that because especially Lower Decks has a lot of callbacks to TNG/DS9 era Trek.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

It's not bad to skip some episodes and go back and watch them later. There was a DS9 Klingon episode I skipped for about 15 years before watching it, just so there was always more DS9 I had never seen. But yes, skip a decent amount of S1 of TNG. What got me into ST for the first time in any seriousness was when TNN got the rights back in the early 2000's and they had marathons of the best episodes.
On one hand, this is over-indulgent hedonism, however, it's hard for someone to watch the best episodes of TNG in a row and think "this is just okay." The benefit with TNG is you can watch most out of order because it barely has any serialness. Some things like the Sela episodes won't make sense without having seen the Tasha Yar and Yesterday's Enterprise episodes though, but those are few and far between.

Voyager you can kind of do the same thing with, but jumping between Seven and Kes, Borg and Kazon, Pre- and Post- Seksa being Seksa, would be strange.

DS9 is impossible to start with because it requires having a feel for the rest of Star Trek to understand it and it is more of a modern serial than the type of show it was made in.

You could make an argument for Enterprise, and while I don't think the quality with Enterprise is lacking like some people think it is, it is almost too similar to today versus "woah its the future" of TNG. And some of Enterprise's charm is derived as being a reflection back to more simple times where people are afraid of the transporter, using the grappler, etc.

TOS is too dated for a newcomer, no one will take those sets seriously despite the dramatic subject matter. It would be like if Christopher Nolan directed his next film at a McDonald's Playplace.

Strange New Worlds is like swiss cheese of Really Good and Look-Away-Awful everywhere.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

One of the new shows, Discovery, is by far the most "sciency" in that a young budding scientific mind would geek out more because they reference actual theories and concepts and the whole brand of the show is a sort of "yay science!" vibe. in fact, I think they say "Yay science!" more than once on the show.

If I were just getting a kid into Star Trek, I'd just let them loose on TNG because there are zero content issues and it's the best. I am definitely biased in that it is the show that got me into Trek when I was a kid. Yes, the first season is very clunky and dated, but it's got some absolute stone cold classics and is worth watching in its entirety, except Code of Honor, do skip that one, it is pretty racist in its depiction of an alien species based on some cringingly gross 1980's african tribal stereotypes. The season peaks with the penultimate episode, "Conspiracy," an episode that will teach your son to eat and relish in his body. It will also teach him to not stick anything/let anything get in his ear.
AdmiralKird wrote:
April 29 23, 2:10 pm
There was a DS9 Klingon episode I skipped for about 15 years before watching it
Which one?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

CardsofSTL wrote:
April 29 23, 11:48 am
SEASON TWO

Shades of Gray
I think, Star Trek’s only true clip show episode? And with oddly Christian Scientist vibes to boot.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Arthur Dent wrote:
May 1 23, 10:50 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
SEASON TWO

Shades of Gray
I think, Star Trek’s only true clip show episode? And with oddly Christian Scientist vibes to boot.
With respect to the performance of the great Jonathan Frakes, Shades of Gray is always a skip for me.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Arthur Dent wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
SEASON TWO

Shades of Gray
Yeah it is. I think I just included it in the list because it's the last episode of season 2. Definitely skippable

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
May 1 23, 1:38 pm
Arthur Dent wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
SEASON TWO

Shades of Gray
With respect to the performance of the great Jonathan Frakes, Shades of Gray is always a skip for me.
I got confused and thought it was the Riker version of 50 Shades of Grey