2020: The Year of Star Trek

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL

Post by CardsofSTL »

Just in time for the quarantine

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I can't believe I never saw this thread. I really enjoyed Discovery, but Picard has been better than I hoped... so far.

Agreed on Pike. I was really annoyed when he showed up and took over because I liked Saru as captain, but Anson Mount is just so damn likeable that I'd love to see a series about Pike. Digging into Section 31 the way Discovery has dealt with it would be really good too.

I think... (some spoilers)
[SHOW]
Discovery and Picard are going to come together. Discovery is fighting an AI control. Picard is dealing with AI and there is potentially a super-synthetic species out there... which I think is control. Both series' will come together, though not crossover style.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I'm spending much of quarantine re-watching the next generation for the first time since i was a kid, and listening to "The Greatest Generation" podcast along with it. It is very, very enjoyable because of the subject matter, the comforting nature of soaking in a beloved show from your childhood, the way the episodes are mostly entirely contained in one-hour plots rather than modern TV's season-long arcs, and most of all, the fact that there are zero mentions of the coronavirus in any of it.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Ha. When I realized this was going to be bad, my reach for TV comfort was to rewatch The Best of Both Worlds.

CardsofSTL

Post by CardsofSTL »

JCShutout wrote:
March 24 20, 1:35 pm
I can't believe I never saw this thread. I really enjoyed Discovery, but Picard has been better than I hoped... so far.

Agreed on Pike. I was really annoyed when he showed up and took over because I liked Saru as captain, but Anson Mount is just so damn likeable that I'd love to see a series about Pike. Digging into Section 31 the way Discovery has dealt with it would be really good too.

I think... (some spoilers)
[SHOW]
Discovery and Picard are going to come together. Discovery is fighting an AI control. Picard is dealing with AI and there is potentially a super-synthetic species out there... which I think is control. Both series' will come together, though not crossover style.

I agree with your spoiler...they are definitely linked.

This thread was my own little haven for a while.

CardsofSTL

Post by CardsofSTL »

Arthur Dent wrote:
March 24 20, 2:24 pm
Ha. When I realized this was going to be bad, my reach for TV comfort was to rewatch The Best of Both Worlds.
And now you can binge Star Trek Picard for FREE.

CardsofSTL

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
March 24 20, 2:02 pm
I'm spending much of quarantine re-watching the next generation for the first time since i was a kid, and listening to "The Greatest Generation" podcast along with it. It is very, very enjoyable because of the subject matter, the comforting nature of soaking in a beloved show from your childhood, the way the episodes are mostly entirely contained in one-hour plots rather than modern TV's season-long arcs, and most of all, the fact that there are zero mentions of the coronavirus in any of it.
I've probably watched the TNG series in its entirety five times...and I watch episodes here and there all the time. This show has always been my favorite escape from reality.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Yeah, we started rewatching TNG from the beginning a little bit ago. Dinnertime TV. (Not every night) Finally getting to the end of Season 1. Its so bad, though some eps are better than I remembered. I even hate Will Wheaton way less than I used to. So clearly TOS era stories though. (I know a number of them were written for Star Trek Phase II and it shows) God Riker is insufferable. He is a terrible romantic lead. Way better as a support character.

I've probably seen TNG seasons mid3 through the end, I don't know 3-4x (some eps many more times). I've only seen Seasons 1 and 2 once before this because they were just so bad.

We'll probably eventually move onto DS9 which is my favorite of the "not currently in production" series, and then I want to try Voyager again. I never got past a handful of episodes of Voyager because I really really hated Harry Kim, Tom Paris and Neelix and they just seemed to get way too much screentime.
Last edited by JCShutout on March 24 20, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.