Side Gigs to Occupy Spare Time

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Side Gigs to Occupy Spare Time

Post by IMADreamer »

I custom apply anhydrous for smaller farmers that don't have their own equipment to do so. I get around $20 an acre and can general cover 25 acres an hour.

Probably not feasible for you city folks though.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:I custom apply anhydrous for smaller farmers that don't have their own equipment to do so. I get around $20 an acre and can general cover 25 acres an hour.

Probably not feasible for you city folks though.
Yeah, I don't think I have the equipment unless you think I can rig something up behind the car. I knew I should have held out for all wheel drive!

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I chase a 2 year old around in my spare time.

When I'm not doing that, I provide car service for a 13 year old.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:I chase a 2 year old around in my spare time.

When I'm not doing that, I provide car service for a 13 year old.
I hope that isn't cutting in to your gravy eating time....

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I wrote on a Cards website (here!) for free like a chump. Now I write for a Cards website for not free like a champ.

I put half of my pittance compensation away for guitar gear. I didn’t want my hobby to start feeling like an obligation so, I made my paid hobby as a means of supporting my expensive hobby.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Fat Strat wrote:I wrote on a Cards website (here!) for free like a chump. Now I write for a Cards website for not free like a champ.

I put half of my pittance compensation away for guitar gear. I didn’t want my hobby to start feeling like an obligation so, I made my paid hobby as a means of supporting my expensive hobby.
Yeah, but you're our chump.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:I wrote on a Cards website (here!) for free like a chump. Now I write for a Cards website for not free like a champ.

Yeah, but you're our chump.
+.

Doing it for free is how all the great artists started. Think of GRB as improv

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

I've been teaching English to Chinese kids online through a company called VIPKid. It's been pretty fun. I've taught everything from 4 to 12 year olds, but much to my surprise, have had a lot of fun with the 4 year olds at the beginning level. Most of my students lately have been in that group. It only pays like $20/hour, but not bad for sitting in front of my computer in sweatpants and a t-shirt (which is probably what I would be doing with that time anyway).

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I do a lot of non-profit volunteering: I'm on three boards, and am the treasurer for one non-profit that I basically run.
It's rewarding, but I'm thinking of stepping back from some of it. I feel appreciated but taken for granted. For two of these, I'm a donor, and some of that money can be redirected elsewhere. Additionally, such service reminds me that the community is so segregated--I'm the one African American on a couple of these boards, and that's because communities are insular, and non-profits want volunteers who are donors. But I derive very little social capital from any of this--just appreciative comments, which don't cover a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I also am beginning to give local and regional lectures on history--they're free right now, but in the long run, I wouldn't mind making a little something off of them.

I've never figured out how to monetize what I do--perhaps because in academia, there's very little money in anything except building one's reputation to get a promotion.

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

I officiate high school football. It's fun and somewhat rewarding if you can attach yourself with a group/crew of five or six that are doing it for the right reasons. It can suck terribly if
you work with those who do it just for the money and that little bit of authority it provides. I've been doing it long enough now to know who to avoid.

Been thinking recently about picking up baseball and softball. I think it may be a good way to
keep busy and make a few extra bucks when I get to retirement age.