Name your favorite post-apocalyptic book/movie

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Re: Name your favorite post-apocalyptic book/movie

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

New York 2140 was quite good.

On the movie side of things, Children of Men has always been a favorite of mine in that genre.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I liked The Book of Eli quite a bit. But I'm a big Denzel fan.

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

Definitely The Stand for me. The book not the mini series LOL. I actually read it twice, once in high school and then about 20 years later when he released an unabridged version that was even longer if you can believe it. Spoiler alert: my favorite part was when the Trashcan Man blows up Gary, IN.

HardcoreCardsFan
All-Star

Post by HardcoreCardsFan »

I am in the process of reading every Stephen King book (I’ve read 50 so far), and The Stand is my favorite. It’s just a masterpiece.

There’s also a series I read when I was a kid that’s called the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Those were some great books too.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I gotta tell you. Being in the park in t-shirts two days ago and looking at 3 inches of snow out the window today is adding a nice bit of texture to the end of the world vibes.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Donnie Ebert wrote:
March 13 20, 12:50 pm
I didn't love McCarthy's The Road when I was reading it, but I still have moments where a piece of that book will pop up in my memory, that brutal gray ashen world.
I haven’t read it since I was 21 but the helpless desperation of a parent unable to shield a child from the absolute horror of their reality was a gut punch. Cried like a baby at the ending.

The Passage is up there for me as well. A series that starts as a cool apocalyptic vampire creature story turns into a truly bizarre sprawling epic but in a good way.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:
March 23 20, 8:28 am

The Passage is up there for me as well. A series that starts as a cool apocalyptic vampire creature story turns into a truly bizarre sprawling epic but in a good way.
That sounds interesting. And haven't read fiction in forever.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I am struggling a bit with this one. I'd argue stuff like Blade Runner and Escape from New York are more "dystopian" than "post-apocalyptic". Brave New World also probably falls into that category.

The “Remembrance of Earth’s Past” series of 3 books by Cixin Liu is really good. But not all of it is post-apocalypse either. Spoiler:
[SHOW]
I would argue there is an apocalypse-like event in the 2nd book where the population of Earth drops down to about 1 billion people. So like 7 billion people die, but it’s gradual and spread over many years and decades. There is kind of a singular event that sets humanity on that downward path. If that counts, then like roughly half the series occurs “post-apocolypse”.