American Beaches

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

American Beaches

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Anyone have a favorite beach within the continental US? Preferably one that has clean water, good snorkeling, not a lot of people, and affordable accommodations?

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: American Beaches

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Anything from Gulf Shores AL to Panama City Beach, FL along the panhandle will meet your needs. If you are concerned with crowds, stay at a property that has private beach access. We've never had a problem with any of those beaches being too crowded. The further east you get into Florida, the prettier the water is...

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

my family swears by Watercolor in florida. i've never been, but they go every year.

https://30a.com/watercolor-inn-and-resort/

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 12 20, 11:24 am
Anything from Gulf Shores AL to Panama City Beach, FL along the panhandle will meet your needs. If you are concerned with crowds, stay at a property that has private beach access. We've never had a problem with any of those beaches being too crowded. The further east you get into Florida, the prettier the water is...
Ha, I almost put we were looking at precisely from Gulf Shores to Panama City but had reservations with there not being much snorkeling and expensive housing. It gets cheaper not being on the beach but then there's the issue of access and with kids it's preferable to not have to load up the car.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Sunset Inn in Islamorada. Best snorkeling and clearest water in the continental US. Not as many long beach strands in the Keys but they are there. If you go in a shoulder season, like in late September - October, you can get some smoking deals. I think I paid $60 a night last fall? The Keys has a real Caribbean feel that is way different than anywhere else. You can fly into Naples, Miami, or Lauderdale based on best price.

If you're driving down and don't want to go that deep into FL, I like Destin, as far as panhandle towns go. Nicer than the Gulf Shores/Florabama area and not as party-oriented as Panama City.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Mexico Beach is a small beach town about 30 miles down the cost from Panama City Beach, and is not touristy. It is is close to Cape San Blas, which has tall dunes and scrub pines that looks like Florida before all the developers came to the coast. At the tip of Cape San Blas is St Joseph State Park. I don't know anything about snorkeling, but it has shallow bays on the inside of the Cape that we wade in looking at all the critters.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

All these beaches sound awesome.

Thanks, gents.

Probably gonna do some research on Mexico and islamadora.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
June 12 20, 11:35 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 12 20, 11:24 am
Ha, I almost put we were looking at precisely from Gulf Shores to Panama City but had reservations with there not being much snorkeling and expensive housing. It gets cheaper not being on the beach but then there's the issue of access and with kids it's preferable to not have to load up the car.
Dauphin island across mobile bay is all houses/all on the beach so it’s private. The houses aren’t mansions, but for what you’re needing now (private/on the water/houses) it’s by far the cheapest you’ll find.

So close, last house we stayed there, it’s on top of the water, we fished off the balcony.