Cronos passed away

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Cronos passed away

Post by Michael »

Wow. This is so sad. Paul was a really great guy and he was a huge part of this community!

A few stories about Cronos:

-One time GK and I took him out for drinks in Chicago. Paul was having fun, but he was a little shy, which is understandable given he was drinking with two dudes he met on the internet. Eventually we ended up at a dirty hole in the wall called Carols Pub for late night karaoke. GK and I got up there and drunkenly yelled/sung some lame crowd pleasers. Eventually we got back to our seats pretty satisfied with ourselves. Next, Paul walks up to the mic and unexpectedly starts singing an amazing ballad. When he started everyone in the bar stopped what they were doing so they could listen to something beautiful. It was honestly one of the most awesome and surreal things I've ever seen. It reminded me of that scene from The Shawshank Redemption where Andy played music for the prison and everyone was transported to a place of unexpected beauty. After Paul was done and the crowd was going wild he low-key walked back to his seat with knowing grin on his face. It was baller as [expletive].

-Paul was studying in Chicago and I volunteered to take various psychological exams for his classes. It took several days but I was never bored. He always take the time to explain the function of the tests which I found to be fascinating. More importantly I was inspired by his genuine desire to help people and make the world a better place.

Rest in peace Paul. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Dude that is an incredible story. Cronos had pipes? His family was very musically talented. His brother was in the Phoenix philaharmonic when he came and visited.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Just now seeing this. Wow. He was a big part of this community and though I never met him personally, I considered him a friend. Grace and peace to his family.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Michael wrote:
August 20 20, 6:24 am
Wow. This is so sad. Paul was a really great guy and he was a huge part of this community!

A few stories about Cronos:

-One time GK and I took him out for drinks in Chicago. Paul was having fun, but he was a little shy, which is understandable given he was drinking with two dudes he met on the internet. Eventually we ended up at a dirty hole in the wall called Carols Pub for late night karaoke. GK and I got up there and drunkenly yelled/sung some lame crowd pleasers. Eventually we got back to our seats pretty satisfied with ourselves. Next, Paul walks up to the mic and unexpectedly starts singing an amazing ballad. When he started everyone in the bar stopped what they were doing so they could listen to something beautiful. It was honestly one of the most awesome and surreal things I've ever seen. It reminded me of that scene from The Shawshank Redemption where Andy played music for the prison and everyone was transported to a place of unexpected beauty. After Paul was done and the crowd was going wild he low-key walked back to his seat with knowing grin on his face. It was baller as [expletive].

This is a great story.

I should have said something by now, but haven't been sure what to say. Didn't interact with him much and never met him but he obviously loved the Cardinals intensely. Condolences to his friends and family.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Shocking news. Paul was OG GRB. Michael texted me this morning to let me know. Life is so short and so precious. He was a young man, gone far too soon. I'm grateful for the years of shooting the sh*t and making each other laugh that were, and still are, the lifeblood of GRB. Good people keeping each other company and passing the time together in this transient world. I wish his mother and siblings peace.

I've been off GRB awhile again, but think about it often. Sending genuine love to you all, who I consider friends. Stay well guys and hold your loved ones a little tighter today.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Fat Strat wrote:
August 20 20, 10:08 am
Just now seeing this. Wow. He was a big part of this community and though I never met him personally, I considered him a friend. Grace and peace to his family.
It would be great if his family could see this thread.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I feel like this thread should be bumped during GDT memorial evening. So bump.

pop_haines
President of the Fungous Society

Post by pop_haines »

The very last thing I expected to read here.

Farewell to a kind, supportive, funny, knowledgeable and now legendary member of this community.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Damn.. And here I thought that he'd taken a hiatus because of FO frustrations, and/or rifts with a poster..

Safe to say, I'll miss his POV, knowledge/enthusiasm for Cardinals baseball. He called it like it was. Often, we posters have talked of meeting up at a game, or something Cardinals affiliated. And he was on the short list of guys here that I'd have appreciated sharing some thoughts with over an adult beverage. I hope he's found some avid Cards fans, wherever he is...

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Michael's post with the stories... just... damn. Great stuff. And I love that scene. It's one of the most beautiful, poignant scenes from any movie. And Shawshank is my personal all-time favorite. Thanks for sharing that.