Wildfire near the house

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Wildfire near the house

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:
September 9 20, 8:29 am
Hope everything improves there. Wildfire is the scariest natural disaster to me. Best of luck!
I had never thought of that but you're right. They can pop up anywhere in the right conditions and be caused by just about anything, especially humans. We can track hurricanes and storm systems, we can monitor fault lines and volcanoes... we can't keep track of all the idiots using explosives and pyrotechnics for their gender reveal and then once they start, there is no predictable path. They can spread in all directions at the same time and go on for extended periods of time unlike other natural disasters. Plus they consume EVERYTHING in their path. We can build shelters and buildings to withstand earthquakes and such but fire consumes all.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Sorry to hear Joe. I'm glad you are safe. I hope your house is okay.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

How's it going down there? They are far closer to town than they usually get up here. My folks out on the Clackamas may be told to evacuate soon. I was hoping the wet June would mean the world wouldn't actually get set in fire. But looks like someone forgot to rake. I'm a quarter Finnish, maybe it was my job.

As for how cool it looks, I drove from Bend to Portland over the mountain on Sunday night and it was surreal.

Hope Joe's house is safe.

Trump tweet blaming the Dem governor in 3, 2, 1...

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Let's see if I can post a pic...

From my deck this morning facing west. Shows the fire came right up to the other side of the access road below our house. If I didn't keep that dirt strip mowed close, it might have jumped the road. At the top of the pic is blackened Talent. The fire came left to right following a creek and I-5 just below that house in the middle of the pic.

Planes and helicopters still working it full time. They do an incredible job.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Whoa dude, that is WAY too close for comfort. I'm glad you and your family are ok. Stay safe!

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

That's incredibly scary. Am I looking at this correctly? Was the lot around the house in the middle scorched but the house itself spared?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Radbird wrote:
September 9 20, 3:32 pm
That's incredibly scary. Am I looking at this correctly? Was the lot around the house in the middle scorched but the house itself spared?
I watched one guy from a BLM (bureau of land management) fire crew take his truck to that house and douse the fire as it got there. Incredible to watch him work moving methodically around the house.

What saved us is we didn't have trees, just brush and grass. So no ember storms like you see in evergreen fires. But down there on the flat to the west, that's where the trees and devastation was.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Well now it's getting interesting. Turns out there is a body at the fire origination point in Ashland. All sorts of rumors of course. Mostly following the polarized political opinions we are all familiar with.

As far as us personally, no wind today and still waiting for power to be restored.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
September 10 20, 9:29 am
Well now it's getting interesting. Turns out there is a body at the fire origination point in Ashland. All sorts of rumors of course. Mostly following the polarized political opinions we are all familiar with.

As far as us personally, no wind today and still waiting for power to be restored.
My relatives in Washington state said that someone got arrested trying to start a fire around Puyallup; which is a small town between Seattle and Tacoma. Hard saying where the body came from in your case but weird [expletive] seems to be happening everywhere.