Poll: Is a family a family if there are no children?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Are children necessary to define a group as family?

Poll ended at October 14 20, 5:12 pm

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 23

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Poll: Is a family a family if there are no children?

Post by JCShutout »

I am in another group (unrelated to grb) where a person has argued that the definition of family requires the inclusion of children. While the dictionary backs up his claim, he also claims that this is the case by "any common sense definition of the term".

I disagree on a number of fronts, and don't want to rehash the discussion. That said, while I can't see family needing children in a "common sense" definition, perhaps many others do, so I ask you your opinion. You gut, common sense feeling of what family means.

I've made this a poll so hopefully folks will feel safe voting, even if its an unpopular opinion, because you can vote and not respond to the post and no one will know your vote. I won't reference this group, website or any particular username in any future discussions with this gentleman. (If one chooses to post a response that is, if you only vote I won't know who voted for what)

Yes vote means one needs children to be a family.

No vote means family can be defined with or without children.

Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Poll: Is a family a family if there are no children?

Post by Michael »

It doesn't matter. Don't let other people define what family means to you.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

There are several definitions of "family". I have friends who I would say fall under this definition:
4 a: group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : FELLOWSHIP
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/family

There is somewhat of a trend, likely more common among the LGBTQ+ community, where they call a close knit group of friends their family. In the case of LGBTQ+ people it's usually because they were rejected by their actual family. So they find friends to give them the support that a family should be giving them. If the group serves the purpose of a family, then that's a family to me.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Oh, this isn’t about a crisis of faith. This is a core belief that runs no risk of being derailed.

This was more seeing if his idea of “common sense” (as roughy defines as, “most people believe this”) is more accurate than I think. My feeling was that in certain us subcultures it may be “common sense”, but not in many others. While I’ve found many diverse groups expressing definitions of family much more broadly, I thought it might be interesting to see what this group thought.

Obviously a deeper theme of our discussion are ideas of hospitality.

I mean, this is a small sample size anyways. I just thought it interesting just to see.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If you have a group of people that constantly drive you crazy but you love them anyway; they're family.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The Insane Clown Possee is a family, and they chant "FAMILY" at their gatherings. So ipso facto, no, you don't need children to be a family.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:
October 12 20, 10:05 am
The Insane Clown Possee is a family, and they chant "FAMILY" at their gatherings. So ipso facto, no, you don't need children to be a family.
Remember that time when they were on Monday Night Raw? That was awesome.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

I voted yes to the thread title instead of the poll question. I'm bad at reading carefully

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

albertmvpujols wrote:
October 15 20, 10:15 am
I voted yes to the thread title instead of the poll question. I'm bad at reading carefully
I accidentally voted yes, I meant no.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

ndistops wrote:
October 15 20, 11:08 am
albertmvpujols wrote:
October 15 20, 10:15 am
I accidentally voted yes, I meant no.
Whoops. Same. That's what I get for letting work distract me from my important business on GRB.