Wifi Mesh Opinions?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Wifi Mesh Opinions?

Post by GeddyWrox »

My wifi signal has slowly been getting more and more unreliable at home. We have Charter Spectrum with a modem/router combination for our wifi. It has the 2G and 5G connections. In my bedroom/office, the 5G signal isn't very strong, but when I can connect to it, it is fast. I just lose it every so often and have to switch down to the 2G. The 2G is a stronger signal but is so slow that conferencing with any kind of video is really painful.

I've had several people recommend a mesh wifi network. I'm researching some options, and hoping to stay near $200 if I can. I don't need a nest device or anything like that. I just need to be able to work uninterrupted while my kids are doing their school or whatever.

This looks like a pretty good deal. Linksys Velop 2200 3-node system on sale from $400 down to $200.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-ve ... Id=6209705

Anyone have any thoughts on that or any other mesh networks?

TIA

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Wifi Mesh Opinions?

Post by CardsofSTL »

Have you always had this problem with that particular modern-router? How long have you had the modem? Have you had charter test the equipment?

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

CardsofSTL wrote:
October 29 20, 1:35 pm
Have you always had this problem with that particular modern-router? How long have you had the modem? Have you had charter test the equipment?
To some extent, I've had this problem, yes. But it seems to have gotten worse when school started back up.

We've had this modem/router for a couple of years now.

No, I haven't had them test it yet. I figured they would just say use 2G upstairs if the 5G isn't strong enough.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

They can test the equipment remotely. I'd give them a call just to cover all my bases first. Then you might try a WiFi extender for around $30. Maybe make the 5 password something different and use that for yourself exclusively while your kids use the 2.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

we have the amplifi HD mesh system, and it works great. kind of like that one, it typically retails for $400, but we got it for around $200 during Black Friday a couple years ago.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

CardsofSTL wrote:
October 29 20, 1:46 pm
They can test the equipment remotely. I'd give them a call just to cover all my bases first. Then you might try a WiFi extender for around $30. Maybe make the 5 password something different and use that for yourself exclusively while your kids use the 2.
I tried extenders myself first and they're crap. I'm sure everyone knows (I didn't till I had the problem), extenders absorb the signal from the router and then broadcast it out (extending it), so the speeds when connecting to the extender were about 1/4 of when you're hitting the router's WiFi standing closer to it. not to mention you had to switch your wifi you wanted to connect to with an extender (when you were out of the reach of the router, you had to manually go to your setting and choose that extender to connect to it. then when you went back closer to the router, you'd have to switch again. Not a big deal if your using something stationary, but if you're using a phone, tablet, laptop, etc it's a pain in the ass). a mesh system you have no loss of speeds and it automatically connects your device to the closest mesh station. losing 3/4 of your speed may not be a big deal if you have gigabit internet, but here all you can get is wireless internet (no cable/fiber available) and the fastest speed it 50 mbps (and $150 to boot), so it was worthless with the extender.

(I'm an idiot with technology, so someone will point out everything that's wrong with my post I'm sure...but when you're an idiot like me, it's worth just paying the $200 for the mesh system (that has a router built in) and just be done with it)

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I have an extender as well, and it didn't seem to make a lick of difference.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Eero is expensive but I recommend it. Use two of their beacons along with their router bridged to the primary Comcast router. Can access it using a phone application. Handles updates, configurations, etc. all on it's own with no needless dicking around. If you don't cringe at the price too much, it's worth high speeds and zero headache.

My gf's parents are beyond dumb when it comes to technology and I put Eero in their house so I can manage all their wifi from two states away. Another neat benefit.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
October 29 20, 2:45 pm
Eero is expensive but I recommend it. Use two of their beacons along with their router bridged to the primary Comcast router. Can access it using a phone application. Handles updates, configurations, etc. all on it's own with no needless dicking around. If you don't cringe at the price too much, it's worth high speeds and zero headache.

My gf's parents are beyond dumb when it comes to technology and I put Eero in their house so I can manage all their wifi from two states away. Another neat benefit.
And if they piss you off, you can cut off their wifi.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
October 29 20, 2:48 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
October 29 20, 2:45 pm

And if they piss you off, you can cut off their wifi.
Need a thumbs up/like button on these phpBB forums.