Supersonic speed

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Supersonic speed

Post by mikechamp »

For those who like things that go very fast, there's been a breakthrough... thanks to some old ideas:
The Experimental Engine That Could Get Us Anywhere in the World in 2 Hours

A Chinese-made "sodramjet" engine has reached nine times the speed of sound in a wind tunnel test. The engine could power an aircraft to reach anywhere in the world within two hours, the makers say.

Scientists say the sodramjet (short for “standing oblique detonation ramjet engine”) could be the first real hope for hypersonic flight—many times the speed of sound, and something that would bring both global travel and space travel much closer to home. "With reusable trans-atmospheric planes, we can take off horizontally from an airport runway, accelerate into orbit around the Earth, then reenter into the atmosphere, and finally land at an airport," the scientists, from the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Mechanics, write in a new study published in the Chinese Journal of Aeronautics. "In this way, space access will become reliable, routine and affordable."

The idea is a decades-old theoretical variation on a scramjet, itself a variation on the ramjet, building on generations of work on high-speed flight. The sodramjet is the latest bleeding edge of a completely different use case. The ramjet led to the scramjet, which was designed to go as much as 15 times the speed of sound. Like the fastest combustion and even rocket cars, the secret is in dropping a great deal of weight from the craft—the scramjet scoops up oxygen from the air instead of in condensed form from a tank.

But that means a more fragile cycle of combustion that, it turns out, can be woofed out by the very sonic boom the engine creates. The scramjet just never reached its full potential. The key difference in the sodramjet is that the new design uses the sonic boom to add combustion, not blow it out.

South China Morning Post (SCMP) reports that the sodramjet follows decades of work on scramjets that began in the United States. But in China, development of scramjet concepts has continued, too. Even so, lead researcher Jiang Zonglin grew frustrated with scramjets and decided to go his own way, based on a theory published by NASA in 1980.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/experime ... 00666.html

Tags:

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Supersonic speed

Post by IMADreamer »

While I'm sure the reality of a normal person like myself flying on one of these around the world is a lifetime away, can you imagine being like "let's go to London.... for lunch." and be back my mid afternoon? That's such a cool idea.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

It feels like I would hear 2-3 sonic booms each year as a child. I don't think I've heard one now since high school. Seems really odd in hindsight.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

mikechamp wrote:
December 2 20, 11:07 am
The key difference in the sodramjet is that the new design uses the sonic boom to add combustion, not blow it out.
Well geez, why didn't they just do this in the first place? Seem simple enough.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I want to hyperloop to San Francisco for brunch and then back to Ohio; then to New York for dinner.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Popeye_Card wrote:
December 2 20, 2:01 pm
It feels like I would hear 2-3 sonic booms each year as a child. I don't think I've heard one now since high school. Seems really odd in hindsight.
Last month while camping south of Ft Leonard Wood I was hearing weapons fire, (not sonic booms) and was wondering same thing, whatever happened to sonic booms?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

A quick google search shows they've been outlawed by the FAA over the mainland since 1973. As such my guess would be the military was responsible for them and due to public annoyance and UFO technology they fleeced off the aliens have found ways of avoiding them.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I'm old, so possible I heard them, instead of misremembering/conjured memory.

IIRC, it made the local news whenever one happened.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Hmm. who knew?
The cracking sound a bullwhip makes when properly wielded is, in fact, a small sonic boom. The end of the whip, known as the "cracker", moves faster than the speed of sound, thus creating a sonic boom.[2]

A bullwhip tapers down from the handle section to the cracker. The cracker has much less mass than the handle section. When the whip is sharply swung, the energy is transferred down the length of the tapering whip. Goriely and McMillen showed that the physical explanation is complex, involving the way that a loop travels down a tapered filament under tension.[10]

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 2 20, 2:21 pm
A quick google search shows they've been outlawed by the FAA over the mainland since 1973. As such my guess would be the military was responsible for them and due to public annoyance and UFO technology they fleeced off the aliens have found ways of avoiding them.
Huh. That does not align with my childhood years (80’s), unless the military was still doing it anyway. Maybe I am just imagining things, or I was hearing something else that someone told me was a sonic boom and I was gullible enough to believe them.