major sports in pandemic.thoughts.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

major sports in pandemic.thoughts.

Post by Freed Roger »

Tom Brady plays for the Bucs? Who won the WS? Who won the Stanley Cup? ....I was going to make this a poll, gauging interest in major sports. But I don't even have the interest level to create one. I just don't ever have it on, don't look at the news, and am not frequenting bars so don't see it on. No sports banter with siblings. No fantasy football. etc etc no joining our friends tailgating at a big 10 game

about all I did was watch a.couple of NHL games.

I am not knocking anyone who is getting enjoyment from sports now. But am wondering if 1) ratings down? 2) anyone else like me just completely lost interest in it - 3) is it because it just seems out of place in a pandemic

There really isn't a void in my life from not following sports. maybe some of it is because of some life changes. starting to wonder if I will go back to watching it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: major sports in pandemic.thoughts.

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I am the same way. Haven't watched very much. Little interest in the Cardinals, etc.

I don't feel a big void either. I just don't care much anymore. Don't know if I will going forward.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I have enjoyed watching sports during the pandemic as a way to pass time, but the NBA playoffs were the only thing that really captured my attention, and even that was only one particular underdog team in the Heat.

I have watched plenty of baseball, soccer, basketball, UFC, etc, but my level of emotional interest regarding the outcome of who wins and who loses is pretty much gone.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

I've found that my level of anxiety, already a problem before all this [expletive], is so high that I can't enjoy watching sporting events where I care about the outcome in any significant way. I was able to watch some of the NBA because I don't have a strong rooting interest, but I've watched very little of the sports where I actually have a favorite team.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I haven't followed football or basketball in a long time, so no real change for me there. I did find it kinda funny watching the news last night here in NW Ohio - the reporter covering the cancellation of the OSU-Michigan game this weekend was about to break down and cry. Ohio State people are getting weirder by the year, and this COVID season has made them [expletive] insane.

Anyway, I did watch the Blues during their short-lived Cup defense and it was OK in the bubble. But the whole format happening 4+ months since they had last played competitively just felt forced. The MLB season was basically Calvinball, where they just made up new rules as they went along - hard to take it seriously.

I'll be watching once the NHL season starts up again, but it is so odd that it should be right around the corner and there is still very little news on how the season will be structured. And it is really odd that I don't find myself really caring.

On the more personal side, I've given up playing sports and working out at the gym. I've missed that more and my body is going to [expletive]. I really need to find a way to get working out again. I still don't think I'm ready to sit in a nasty hockey locker room that already felt like a petri dish full of infectious diseases even pre-COVID.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Also the Browns are currently 9-3. I think more than anything this is a sign that the apocalypse is nigh.

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

I did watch a lot of the NHL games. Even the non Blues games. I didn't watch much baseball. It felt hollow. I know it's important to keep doing the things we love but right now, it is hard to keep my attention on sports, and especially a mediocre baseball product.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I have lost interest in sports right now. There are just too many more important things going on. I watched some of the Stanley Cup playoffs and a few Cardinals games last season.

When I need a distraction I have been steaming TV series and movies. I've also gotten back into exploring music more than I have in a while.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

haven't really watched much this year. was excited for cardinal baseball to return but then they had that 2 week outbreak which really killed any sort of excitement...plus they're such a boring team.

i'll watch a few minutes of football when i happen to switch to it...or i'll leave it on when i'm doing chores around the house or working out but i'm not watching games all the way. actually not sure i even watched a cardinals game all the way thru.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

As Sean Doolitle said, sports are a reward for having a functioning society. We failed there. It's hard to be that interested in sports when you know that they shouldn't be playing them right now.